Some General Observations After Weeks of Play

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

azpops
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Some General Observations After Weeks of Play

Post by azpops » Fri May 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Thought you might like some general observations I have of the game after having played the beta now for several weeks. I have found most of these to be true for most of my games.

1) City building period. I like to refer to this period as the "Oklahoma Land Rush." Most factions during the early part of the game are simply out there planting cities wherever and whenever they can. There doesn't seem to be any attempt by the AI factions to develop their own territory, it is simply go out and find a spot to put down a city. This can be territory where no one currently has cities or it can be in the middle of someone else's territory (even if there are only two or three hexes available for the city). Basically, it is "damn to torpedo's and full speed ahead with building cities."

2) During this "Oklahoma Land Rush" period, the Imperium and Divine Ascension factions will build two or three cities, then declare war on everyone. They generally die quickly thereafter.

3) With the new diplomacy system, the factions seem to like giving me credits, but there doesn't seem to be any purpose to it. Does it make indebted to them at a future time? Do we become closer diplomatically leading to an alliance? There doesn't seem to be any logic to why they want to give me credits.

4) Once you kill all the aliens, they simply go away for the rest of the game, except for the aliens in the ocean. Do you intend to include some mechanism where they come back at a later time? Should be a way for the aliens to spawn new hives.

5) After the land rush period and the Imperium and Divine Ascension are gone, the game settles into a period where none of the AI factions are interested in anything except live and let live. Still give me credits, but nothing else happening diplomatically. After this point, unless I declare war, the game simply proceeds with each faction researching and nothing else going on. The other factions occasionally will declare war, but mostly they simply go on existing.

Some suggestions for improvement:

1) Diplomacy: Giving credits is good, but what about trading research? Demanding credits or cities from a faction? A mechanism that can increase or decrease the level of cooperation between factions. Currently there is no way of improving your standing with a faction.

2) Ruins: Ruins are pretty lame at present. Could do more with them. Discover new research, provide specific benefit for controlling the ruin, give a special unit. Perhaps you could create a story about a previous civilization which lived on the planet and it gives a glimpse of the civilization and what happened to it when a ruin is discovered.

3) Each faction could have specialty units created only by that faction. Also, the ability to capture formers and colonizers instead of only destroying them.

4) Develop more factions. Allow the player to determine how many factions will be in the game.

I'm have more when I flesh them out better.

Bianary
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Some General Observations After Weeks of Play

Post by Bianary » Fri May 03, 2013 7:16 pm

azpops wrote:2) Ruins: Ruins are pretty lame at present. Could do more with them. Discover new research, provide specific benefit for controlling the ruin, give a special unit. Perhaps you could create a story about a previous civilization which lived on the planet and it gives a glimpse of the civilization and what happened to it when a ruin is discovered.
Tech that can only be built while you're in possession of a certain ruin!

azpops

Post by azpops » Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Bianary wrote:Tech that can only be built while you're in possession of a certain ruin!
I like that idea. A special forge or technology benefit from the ruin enables you to produce the units only as long as you possess the ruin.

Soheil
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by Soheil » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanx for the feedback, there is clearly more room for AI improvement, designing the AI is the hardest part of making a game like this and we will keep working to improve it. Its very interesting to read about the AI behavior patterns you have noticed.

- We will try to make the effects of giving or demanding money more clear.
- We are currently working on a way to keep the wildlife in the game through out the whole play session and were going to give the player tools to control their population and perhaps use them to their advantage later on.
- giving the player special units and back-story snippets to what happened to the alien race when taking ruins is a very interesting idea, well see if we can work that in!

your feedback is greatly appreciated, keep it coming! And if you have more ideas about features we could add please let us know. :)
Soheil Khaghani
Graphics Artist on Pandora: First Contact
Proxy Studios

bbmike
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by bbmike » Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

I agree with your observations so far.
azpops wrote: 2) Ruins: Ruins are pretty lame at present. Could do more with them. Discover new research, provide specific benefit for controlling the ruin, give a special unit. Perhaps you could create a story about a previous civilization which lived on the planet and it gives a glimpse of the civilization and what happened to it when a ruin is discovered.
Agree, but ruins should also cause bad things to happen (your unit disappears, was full of aliens, etc.) :twisted:

Soheil
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by Soheil » Fri May 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Ok so some of the new effects from discovering ruins should be:

- Get new tech
- Get new unit
- Lose unit/ Negative effect
- Get more back story on original inhabitants

We will have a meeting about this and talk about which ones of these features we could implement, If i missed any effects from discovering ruins please let me know!

We will do a printed instruction-manual/story-book with cool pictures and short stories that explain the back-story of the game world and help bring the world to life a bit more, some of the stories will tie in to the game in different ways as well so it will be a cohesive experience to read the book maybe during loading screens or while installing to get a new level of immersion while not playing the game.
Soheil Khaghani
Graphics Artist on Pandora: First Contact
Proxy Studios

SunDawn
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by SunDawn » Sat May 11, 2013 5:33 am

Soheil wrote:Ok so some of the new effects from discovering ruins should be:

- Get new tech
- Get new unit
- Lose unit/ Negative effect
- Get more back story on original inhabitants

We will have a meeting about this and talk about which ones of these features we could implement, If i missed any effects from discovering ruins please let me know!

We will do a printed instruction-manual/story-book with cool pictures and short stories that explain the back-story of the game world and help bring the world to life a bit more, some of the stories will tie in to the game in different ways as well so it will be a cohesive experience to read the book maybe during loading screens or while installing to get a new level of immersion while not playing the game.
I would have to disagree on getting a new unit. It doesn't make sense that you discover a ruin containing your units on a planet where you are the first to land.
Maybe add some of these things :
- Remove fog of war 3 tiles from the ruin (the ruin is a former sensor post)
- Research/production temporary bonus (the ruin is a former factory/laboratory)
- Spawns 2-3 units of enemies (the ruin is a lair of the alien)
-

Bianary
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bianary » Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 pm

SunDawn wrote: - Spawns 2-3 units of enemies (the ruin is a lair of the alien)
I like this one a lot more than "Lose a unit" -- if the enemies spawning come out near the ruins (Or push your exploring unit back) so that you actually can choose what units you want to have deal with them, rather than just randomly losing whatever unit you use to explore, that would feel better. It would also be an interesting negative effect.

If it would destroy the exploring unit anyway then I don't like this one either :P

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”