Suggestion: Workshop with enlarged Classes

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Suggestion: Workshop with enlarged Classes

Post by zappel »

Great thing to create own vehicles, and because there is still some space available the class-combobox could be enlarged to a list. In my first hour of gaming I missed the possibility to build Seeker ATV's because I didn't noticed the "NEW" button. Former and Colonial Trooper were automatically created, so I didn't recognize that I can create new units based o other classes. This could be avoided if I look better and maybe if the Classes would be displayed in another control, e.g. as in this picture shown:
Workshop with enlarged Classes
Workshop with enlarged Classes
workshop.jpg (155.51 KiB) Viewed 2421 times
Unused Classes could be drawn in different colors too.
mundi
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Suggestion: Workshop with enlarged Classes

Post by mundi »

I like this idea, also having the option to rename your units would be great. So you could easily identify your snipers, flamers, rockets etc. I know the icons are there, but if you could rename them it would be easier again.
Soheil
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by Soheil »

mundiThats a really good idea, we will defiantly take it into consideration!

zappelYou can rename the unit by clicking on the name in the large 3d view. I made a crappy looking pen icon next to it so people could figure it out easier but it seems like its not working because your not the first person who hasn't noticed it. I would really like to hear how you would expect this feature to work or maybe if you think the icon is not very descriptive i could try harder to make a better icon.
Soheil Khaghani
Graphics Artist on Pandora: First Contact
Proxy Studios
mundi

Post by mundi »

Oh yeah I see it now, the pen in the large window. I think even if you just put a 'rename' button next to that pen it would be much more noticable. I think the icons are fine, although perhaps a touch of colour would be good but not necessary.
Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Giskler »

The easiest thing would just be to prompt the player if he wants to rename the new unit or keep the name when he creates a new design. I would like it that instead of just copying the previous unit into the list that it opens a new window where you select what weapons and armor you want etc then when you click save design it pops up another box which asks you what name the unit should have and the default name should be already filled in.

Would make the whole process a lot more intuitive.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Soheil wrote:zappelYou can rename the unit by clicking on the name in the large 3d view. I made a crappy looking pen icon next to it so people could figure it out easier but it seems like its not working because your not the first person who hasn't noticed it. I would really like to hear how you would expect this feature to work or maybe if you think the icon is not very descriptive i could try harder to make a better icon.
Oh, I have not explained it right - I'm not a native english speaker: The renaming of the units is clear and no problem for me. Incidentally, the whole workshop is clear and works well.
I'll try by using the Google translator to describe my problem in more detail:
I started the first game with the faction "university" and was given a Seeker ATV. At the beginning a really great unit with two movement points, ideal for reconnaissance. I found the workshop pretty quickly and created some new units (eg one Trooper for attack and one for defense). In another thread it is mentioned that a new unit is always based on the marked unit which is used as a pattern. This is good, but has caused in my case that I did not noticed the combo box for the class (but I noticed the pen to rename the unit :wink:). I wonder why I had a unit of this class but was not able to build another one. To my shame, I must confess that it took until turn 50 until I noticed that I was able to create Seeker ATVs. :oops:
Now I have several suggestions how this behaviour could be avoided for new players:
- New units could be created automatically and immediately as a base model (unarmed, without devices, best armor) in the workshop
- Unused units could be displayed in another color (e.g. orange instead of white letters)
- Use of a list-control instead of a combobox-control to show almost all available units at a glance. I hope this picture can describe it better:
Suggestion Workshop
Suggestion Workshop
WorkshopSuggestion.jpg (145.02 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Giskler »

He mixed up your names when he replied. He understood you :P
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Giskler wrote:He mixed up your names when he replied. He understood you :P
Ah, you're right. So I explained it another time to train my english :lol:
Soheil
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by Soheil »

ahaha sorry guys, my bad. but yes those are good suggestions that we will take into consideration. Thanx for the feedback so far and keep it coming! :)
Soheil Khaghani
Graphics Artist on Pandora: First Contact
Proxy Studios
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

Yeah, the Scientific faction should really start with the ATV design. I'll add that new units are added automatically and probably another tip for the panel. I'll also experiment with moving the name and stats above the class droplist so it's all in once place and easier to spot the rename icon.

Regards,
Rok
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

SephiRok wrote:Yeah, the Scientific faction should really start with the ATV design. I'll add that new units are added automatically and probably another tip for the panel. I'll also experiment with moving the name and stats above the class droplist so it's all in once place and easier to spot the rename icon.

Regards,
Rok
Version 0.15.1: it works!
New units are added automatically and more information are available.
Looks better!!!

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”