Enhancement requests for City Resource Management

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Enhancement requests for City Resource Management

Post by Earthmichael » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:39 pm

It is important to allocate citizens to the appropriate task at each city to maximize the benefits.

In some cities, adding an extra farmer will produce 0 extra food resources, because there is no food producing hex available to work.

In some cities, adding an extra miner will produce 0 extra mineral resources, because there is no mineral producing hex available to work.

In some cases it may not be so extreme, but in one city an extra farmer might produce only 0.9 food, while in a different city a farmer might produce 3.1 food.

In order to highlight this to the players, I am suggesting two changes.

First, in the City Statistics window, add a decimal of precision to the value shown below.
Pandora Statistics.jpg
City Statistics Window
Pandora Statistics.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 627 times
For each of the values listed, give one decimal of precision. So 10 growth is really 9.9, 8 food is really 7.6, 10 minerals is really 10.2, etc. I would think adding a decimal point of precision would be a very easy change.

The second change, which may be move difficult to implement, in Population window, add a number to each population that shows the effect of adding another population working in that particular area, as shown below.
Population Enhancement.gif
Enhanced Population Window
Population Enhancement.gif (6.36 KiB) Viewed 627 times
In the example shown, the enhanced Population window shows me the following information:
I will get no food resources from moving a population to have an extra farmer.
I will get 2.1 mineral resources if I move a population to have another miner.
I will get 2.1 production if I have another worker.
I will get 3.2 research if I have another scientist.

These numbers should take all factors into account, including faction bonuses or penalties, morale, buildings, observatories, etc.

This allows the player to see at a glance which cities are best at producing each resource.

Currently, the only way for a player to figure this out is to hover over the resource window (to get the resource displayed with X.X accuracy), and then move a population into that area, and hover again, and mentally subtract the values to come up with the incremental value of adding that a population to that particular area. This is very cumbersome and time consuming, yet quite necessary to allocate citizen to productive jobs.

These two enhancements will let one see at a glance what would otherwise take a lot of time and effort to figure out.

Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Enhancement requests for City Resource Management

Post by Theodotus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 am

These are good suggestions.

Megas
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Megas » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:07 am

Supporting the suggestion too. Great idea.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 am

I hope this suggestion gets implemented soon, because I waste more time tweaking bases than any other aspect of the game, yet I can't play nearly as well if I don't optimize my cities.

Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Giskler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Would be a nice addition. I would also love if the automated placement could be improved so it takes into account overall global shortages. I detest microing stuff like this and it makes the game very dull having to go through every city and fine tuning everything.

And again, it would be nice to assign a governor to automate city production so you don't have to cycle through all the small outposts when your empire starts numbering dozens of cities.

Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 pm

I agree, would love to see this come into play. If we're to have global resources, a governor should be available to do this per city automatically, but should be on/off toggle for his/her/it's assistance in case some like the manual way.

I like both ways, so if I'm short on something I can mass produce it a few turns and go back to normal.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:26 pm

Ideally, you could have a governor which you could instruct to produce a certain amount of food and minerals and research, and it would figure out the optimal allocation in various cities to accomplish this.

But in the meantime, I would just like features to let me more easily figure it out for myself! Right now, it is a real pain to see what kind of incremental gain you make by another farmer/miner/researcher in a given city!

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”