What gets harder for Hard and Very Hard?

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

What gets harder for Hard and Very Hard?

Post by Earthmichael » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:10 am

What does the game change for Hard and Very Hard?

I am currently playing a Very Hard setting right now, and other than seeing more than usual alien life (which could just be bad starting luck because of starting with many Hives nearby), I cannot figure out what, if anything, is any harder than the Normal that I had played on earlier.

I got control of the alien life, and the game seems very easy right now. I don't know if this is a bug, because I don't know what actually should have been harder.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: What gets harder for Hard and Very Hard?

Post by SephiRok » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm

The aliens are more aggressive (attack sooner) and the AI gets a morale boost.

Regards,
Rok
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:13 pm

I thought the native life attacked sooner and was more numerous. It was touch and go to survive there fore a while on Very Hard.

The AI either needs a bigger morale boost or some other help, because they are still very easy to defeat.

I am not sure the native life should be any harder on hard or very hard, because it is already the most difficult aspect of the game. But the AI needed the boost, and needs a larger boost still.

But I guess it is playable, since I made it through for my Very Hard game.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if they need a much bigger morale boost. It becomes less of a challenge mainly when there's more AIs, if you try doing a tiny 1v1, it's pretty tough, especially against e.g. the militaristic faction. Though it could be harder still.

The aliens should get stronger on harder difficulties too, I'd actually prefer if it wasn't just that they become hostile sooner.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:11 pm

My only concern about the native life getting more difficult is that someone might want to play on a harder setting to get a better challenge out of the AI so that game does not become a complete cakewalk after the native life has been dealt with. But if making the AI harder makes the native life too hard to survive, then that defeats the purpose.

Perhaps the native life and AI should be separated into two difficulty settings, so one can adjust the native life and AI separately.

I still don't like the fact that the most challenging part of the game is right at the beginning. It makes everything else anticlimactic. It also probably makes the game harder for new players to get into the game (because people who have played other 4x games will plan to expand immediately), unless the read a guide first that warns them not to expand until they have dealt with native life, and to research flamethrowers ASAP.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 pm

I agree that it should not be the hardest in the beginning.

The difficulty settings are already split if you click advanced when you're starting a new game.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:42 am

Yes, I see that now. You have excellent starting options! I should have checked out the advances settings before.

I would suggest that new players start with Alien Aggression set to low, and AI difficult set to Average.

Experienced players may want to set the Alien Aggression to normal, and set the AI difficulty to Very Hard to get a more better challenge from the AI.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 am

I just tried a game with Very Hard AI, and Low for Alien Aggression, and I found that the AI expands MUCH faster and gives a much more challenging game!

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:39 pm

After playing several games with VH AI and Low alien aggression, I can definitely say the higher alien aggression hurts the AI much more than it hurts the human player. As long as the human player plays smart and does not every try to expand until a secure perimeter, the human player can deal with the native aggression much better than the AIs. VH AI with medium or high alien aggression is pretty easy to win.

With VH AI and Low alien aggression, the AI expands like rabbits. If you don't make your attack against the AI pretty early, the AI will expand you out of contention. I would suggest in this scenario, once the weak native life has been dealt with, go straight for artillery, and begin your attack. You will get one colonizer due to tech, and I would not bother with any other. Your cities grow so slowly, comparatively speaking, you need not bother building them. Just attack the large juicy AI cities.
Last edited by Earthmichael on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:34 am

Earthmichael - I agree on the strategy, I've been playing nearly identical scenarios just like you've posted and have come to the exact solution on how to best play that scenario... except when I get the Enviro faction and land in tundra regions, then get my butt kicked. Lol.. Good hard fun though for about 40 - 120 turns.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:32 pm

The 33% attack penalty for the Environmental faction makes them the hardest faction to play on VH, in my option. You have to pay quite a lot to offset this penalty in construction cost.

The benefits would be more useful if one could harvest all of the values of a forest, but otherwise add one more mineral does not make the forest that much more attractive. If a single citizen could harvest all of the resources of a forest, then the extra mineral would help offset the higher construction cost due to the attack penalty. But since they can't, the benefit does not mean much. You are still better off harvest a mined mountain than a forest, even if you are the environmental faction.

And the frontier benefit does not help much on VH either.

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”