Economic victory makes no sense

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Economic victory makes no sense

Post by Giskler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I have this in my suggestion thead as well, but I feel it warrants a thread of its own to discuss it more closely.

Currently the economic victory means having a giant pile of money which is both unfeasible and boring. In my mind an economic victory means that your GDP greatly outstrips the rest of the factions, not that you have a gazillion credits lying around doing nothing. If I produce, farm, mine and generate more income than every other faction by such a large margin that I completely dominate the planet then that's an economic victory. I would like for the victory condition to be changed so it's a viable path to pursue. As it stands now, by the time you have generated enough money to win you will already have won either militarily or scientifically.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Economic victory makes no sense

Post by Earthmichael » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 am

I think economics victory was borrowed from SMAC, and it is just as unrealistic in SMAC as well. I can always win by either military or transcendence before I can active an economic victory.

I am not sure we even need an economic victory. As I said, it never played much of a role in SMAC, even with Morgan Industries (the financial faction).

akmelius
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by akmelius » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:28 pm

It makes sense.
Look at Germany and other countries of Europe.
They are destroying economies to get back their money.
If the developers make the idea of loan another players and then force then to pay even destroy their civilization.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 pm

Economic victory makes scary sense in real life. I worry about China owning so much US debt. Could be very bad news at some point.

But in this game and SMAC, economic victory is FAR too time consuming to accomplish. You can win much more quickly by either conquest or tech.

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”