LONG AI Turn

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

azpops
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

LONG AI Turn

Post by azpops » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:08 am

I am playing a game with the AI set to Hard. The AI turn has been getting progressively longer as time goes on. I have reached turn 322 and the game has become unplayable due to the length of the AI turn. I have timed the last two turns and the AI has taken 10 minutes to think, then another 3 minutes to move the AI faction pieces. Sorry, but 13 minutes between turns really turns me off. This seems to be a consistent problem with the game that you really need to address before releasing it. I tried to include a zip file of the game, but it says it is too big at 270 kB.

akmelius
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: LONG AI Turn

Post by akmelius » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I had the same problem.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 pm

I have never had a game go so long, but I too noticed a large increase in the AI turn time after the last major update.

I also have run into the upload limit myself. It is absurdly low at 25 Kb. It should be at least 1 MB.

JAlfredGoodwin

Post by JAlfredGoodwin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 pm

I spike on all 8 cores, then it settles down to just one or 2 cores at a time. Im wondering if the AI is doing a chess-style best move analysis with recursion, and the multi-threading is hanging up waiting on one or two threads to complete before continuing on.

azpops

Post by azpops » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:21 am

Earthmichael wrote:I have never had a game go so long, but I too noticed a large increase in the AI turn time after the last major update.
I like to play the huge map, but even then, I can usually end a game pretty quickly if I try. I have been trying the AI at a harder level and purposely dragging the game out to see what effects are encountered. One of the major ones is the lengthy AI turn. At a harder AI and giving the factions time to research, they tend to build better units than with the AI set at medium. I haven't tried the hardest setting yet, that is my next goal, if we can get the AI turn length shortened. Right now I hate having to wait 12 to 15 minutes for the AI to move.

Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:40 am

I tried a "very hard" game w/ the largest map setting. Even on beginning AI turns were 20 - 45 seconds. I'll retry a few fresh games on different difficulty settings and see if it's an AI thing or a map size thing.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Does the AI take advantage of multicore processors to reduce turn time? I have an i7, so that might be an advantage here.

Still, I noticed a very definite increase of time at the last major release. Did something happen at the last major release to slow down the AI processing time?

void
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by void » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey guys, our publisher is looking into a solution for the file size limit. For now, please just email bigger saves to pandora@proxy-studios.com. You don't have to compress the files, since Pandora's saves are already compressed.

Also, turn processing durations of such length are of course unacceptable and will be fixed before release. 20 - 45 seconds at the start of the game sounds like something is heavily broken, and yes, AI computation is multi-threaded on player granularity. The next build will cut down the processing duration significantly. We are searching for optimal paths too freely at the moment, which gives a higher fidelity but is most likely too much for huge worlds with thousands of units in the later stages of the game.
Lorenz Ruhmann
Proxy Studios

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”