Needed feature: Area of Influence

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Needed feature: Area of Influence

Post by Earthmichael » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:31 pm

I notice that Pandora is missing a feature common among many 4x games. This feature is an "Area of Influence", that marks territorial boundaries beyond what is currently claimed by cities, to what would be a nominal "area of influence", based on the size and positions of current cities. It is effectively the territorial boundary for that faction.

Another faction forming a city inside your territorial boundary is an act of war. They have to declare war before they can found the city.

This would prevent the current practice of the AI making new cities between your current cities, because that area would certainly be marked as your territory.

If you are not sure what I am talking about, look at the boundary lines in SMAC or Civ. Those boundary lines show the edge of each factions area of influence. They go way beyond what is currently controlled by cities, and give some room for nearby expansion that cannot be taken by another faction short of war.

azpops
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Needed feature: Area of Influence

Post by azpops » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 am

I like this idea. Would help eliminate the current problem of having a faction build a city in the middle of your territory. Currently, you can't place cities with a view toward expansion as any hex available will get another faction's city built on it.

Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:38 am

I love it! Definitely need. Also if you have enough influence you can start to take nearby enemy cities once you get enough influence.

Could cause riots in nearby enemy cities as your influence expands, then they join your faction - Call it a year and a half, 18 months so 18 turns to do something about.

Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 pm

I don't know about taking over enemy cities. I don't know if I would be wanting to fight an influence war, because that could go both directions. I don't want my cities to be at risk because the enemy built a bunch of cities near my border and is trying to crowd my influence out.

So I am not thinking of influence as a way to capture a city. I just don't want someone to be able to build a new city in my area of influence unless they are willing to declare war to do it.

Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Giskler » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:58 am

This definitvely be looked at. Having the AI plop cities in and around my territory is beyond annoying.

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”