First impressions Linux and questions

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

lcjr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

First impressions Linux and questions

Post by lcjr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Trying the Linux 32-bit version on Mint 13(Ubuntu 12.04). My first impression hasn't changed after several hours of gameplay. Pandora is a clone of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Civ series games. Obviously there's a few minor differences but nothing that really stands out as being original. Not saying that's a bad thing as it makes easy to learn and I believe a lot of people like the familiar. Just people looking for something new/original will probably be disappointed.

I have to say you've done an excellent job on the UI. It's nice to be able see how many turns until a city grows and what it's building. Likewise the city screen gives very clear and concise data on production, etc... so you can see what's going on and where any problems are. Being able to control your expansion is a nice touch too. From what I've seen of the tech tree(only as far as Mechanized Age) they're aren't really any useless techs. I might skip an armor tech or not worry about naval if on a Pangea world but so far everything provides a concrete benefit, something a lot of games fail at.

Haven't experienced any visible bugs, errors or graphical issues so far. Had some AI diplomacy weirdness(make 2 treaties, cancel one treaty, propose another treaty, declare war) with the first 2.5.5 patch but that seems to have disappeared with the following patches.

Now questions:
1. Is it OK to have multiple installs or would I be flagged as a dirty pirate? I have another Linux install on a different HDD that would let me test out the 64-bit and the latest Nvidia and Nouveau video drivers if it's not a problem.

2. Readme lists automated Explore for units but I'm seeing the option in the unit UI and the E hotkey doesn't work. Bug or disabled feature?

3. Saw a note in changelog about being able to stop city growth but I'm not seeing how to do this.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: First impressions Linux and questions

Post by SephiRok » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:51 pm

1. We don't restrict the amount of installs. That's silly.

2. Auto-explore is not in yet.

3. We removed the ability to stop city growth in a later update.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

lcjr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: First impressions Linux and questions

Post by lcjr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks SephiRok. I plan to try out the 64-bit version with Manjaro(Arch Linux) this weekend.

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”