First Impressions

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

MayhemMike
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

First Impressions

Post by MayhemMike » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 am

-long loading time (idea: randomly cycle some artwork pics with background story while it is loading so we don't have to stare at a more or less black screen)
-Graphics look nice
-awesome intro movie

#Bug: I played the Tech Nation and I could only research techs that were connected to my Seeker ATV Tech

I started playing on easy but every time I start a new game at least 1 AI player declares war right after we meet each other. Most of the time I don't even have a 2nd city or even troops at this point while he does.
(1.unit Worker - meanwhile exploring map with the free Seeker ATV - meet other player - 2nd unit -settler - AI asks for tribute (declined) -> war, he already has a couple of military units which he starts throwing at me while I only have a worker and a settler) This feels a bit too early

Handling/UI:
-Nice artwork but most of the texts could be a bit bigger (using a 1920x1080 res), short ones like unit stats are fine but I'm having a hard time reading longer texts.
-when I have to choose a new production for a city it should be more obvious what thing just finished there.
-there should be a "auto-explore" function for units
-it should be possible to send a unit into a fog of war area, would make exploring much easier
-it should be more obvious if an alien is hostile or not

Overall:
A nice remake of Alpha Centauri with some elements from newer civ titles. I enjoyed it but I also think that it lacks innovation, or some killer features. More or less like a re-skinned version of Civ5 without the Addons.

dalves
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: First Impressions

Post by dalves » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:22 pm

MayhemMike wrote:#Bug: I played the Tech Nation and I could only research techs that were connected to my Seeker ATV Tech
Are you sure this is a bug? Some people have said that they didn't notice which technologies they can research at the start. You can research any that has no prerequisites (totally to the left).

JeffGeorge
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JeffGeorge » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:53 pm

MayhemMike wrote: Overall:
A nice remake of Alpha Centauri with some elements from newer civ titles. I enjoyed it but I also think that it lacks innovation, or some killer features. More or less like a re-skinned version of Civ5 without the Addons.
This is kind of where I am at this point. I really like the concept but there is just something missing and I can't figure out what it is. SMAC still gives me the "just one more turn" feeling, but so far Pandora, though it looks great and covers all the basics, just leaves me with more of a "meh" feeling. I think it's because the game moves too quickly. Techs only take a few turns to research, the aliens always seem to become crazy angry before one is very far into the game, the opponents really don't play much of a part in the game, etc. I don't dislike the game, but I really want to like it more than I do. Maybe it's just me.

MayhemMike

Post by MayhemMike » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:50 am

dalves wrote:
MayhemMike wrote:#Bug: I played the Tech Nation and I could only research techs that were connected to my Seeker ATV Tech
Are you sure this is a bug? Some people have said that they didn't notice which technologies they can research at the start. You can research any that has no prerequisites (totally to the left).
Jep I'm sure because it only happened during my very first game. I thought that this is a feature and that you get the other Techs through special gameplay mechanics, I'm a pure Tech-focused player so this is the thing I pay most attention to when I play a new game and I instantly noticed a change when I started a second game.

JeffGeorge wrote: This is kind of where I am at this point. I really like the concept but there is just something missing and I can't figure out what it is. SMAC still gives me the "just one more turn" feeling, but so far Pandora, though it looks great and covers all the basics, just leaves me with more of a "meh" feeling. I think it's because the game moves too quickly. Techs only take a few turns to research, the aliens always seem to become crazy angry before one is very far into the game, the opponents really don't play much of a part in the game, etc. I don't dislike the game, but I really want to like it more than I do. Maybe it's just me.
I fully agree on the Tech part, most of the time a settler takes me around 32 turns to finish, at the start of the game. But a Tech only takes 4 turns, so you can pump out 8 Techs prior to your first unit which doesn't feel right.

I didn't have a lot of problems with the power of the aliens, the only thing I disliked with them was their numbers. Especially on smaller islands it can get crowed and I often have to skip turns because my path is blocked by them.

MayhemMike

Post by MayhemMike » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Found another Bug:
I had an alien on guard sitting around, when I suddenly got the "captured city" Message. Either an AI player (with whom I had a non-aggression pact) tried to build a city on the same spot where the alien was or he moved through it with a settler (need to reproduce it to be sure). Nevertheless I got his new city by just sitting there.

dalves
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dalves » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 am

When you notice one of those bugs happening, you can try the last auto-saved turns to reproduce it.

MayhemMike

Post by MayhemMike » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:48 am

Here we go:
I attached 3 save files (one for each turn, just for the case it has a different outcome on someone elses pc)

File-"bug":
Just before it happens, pay attention to the little area on the north continent where you have vision, there is a stack of red units over my Xenomorph including a Colonizer

File "bug12":
One turn later, he creates a city and my unit gets pushed away into the water

File "bug2":
Again one turn later, the red marine moves and my unit gets dragged back into the city capturing it

I couldn't attach the files because they are too big for this forum (it's around turn 330) but here is the link to a Google Docs folder containing the archive with the saves.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”