Best Roman game ever

PC : AGEOD's series of Grand strategy games set during the Roman empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

MarsRobert
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Best Roman game ever

Post by MarsRobert »

Wow! I love this game. Once I took care of the stability issues I was having and got over the moderate learning curve, I began to understand what a deep and rich game it is. Check out my review on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/alea-jacta-est
captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Best Roman game ever

Post by captkiwi »

Have you tried: ROME- TOTAL WAR?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I tried RTW. It was fun at first, but not in the long run for me. I hated the way city unhappiness was building up. Or that some of the multi media clutter which was nice to see at the start got very boring when it came up again and again.

I played MTW 2 a bit longer, esp. the Teutonic Knights and Crusades Campaigns, but over all I wouldn't say these belong to my all time favs.

my 2 cent
grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by grumblefish »

Rome Total War isn't a very good Roman game, at least not without significant modding. I base that statement on the ahistorical nature of the game; just look at Egypt, for example. RTW consists of an ahistorical and very abstract/unrealistic strategy layer, placed over an exciting, accessible and visually pleasing, if somewhat simplistic, tactical layer (that is also ahistorical and unrealistic).

Alae Jacta Est/Birth of Rome is all about the strategic combination of maneuver, supply, military recruitment, political decisions, and guesswork about your enemy's intentions.

I do admit to playing a lot of Rome Total War with mods, though. :lol:
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

RTW is the BEST Ancients game ever made bar none. So say about a million players of it. ;) Now though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best ancients HISTORICAL game ever made it IS the best Ancients game ever made. Most people don't care about historical anyways. They just want to build an empire and stomp other players or the ai. RTW does all that in spades. Can't wait for Rome 2 Total War it's going to be the best then.
anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille »

RTW is a good game but it's not the best ancient game to me. Spartan, Alea Jacta est, Tin Soldiers: Julius Caeasar and the HPS Ancient Wars games are great games.

And the most fun to me was: Celtic Kings: the punic war...just awesome.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”