NEW UPDATE 11.1! AUG1st 2020

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.1! AUG1st 2020

Post by Robotron » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Obviously you are using a different folder for your Potzblitz installation than the one I specified.

Check the "last modified date" of game_deployment.lua in your Potzblitz installation.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
Find it here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

Unwichtig
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Unwichtig » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:09 am

yes you are right!!! Got it, all good it DOES say today´s date. Properties in game_deployment.lua: "Erstellt", "Geändert", "Letzter Zugriff" = all on todays date. correct.

I ll wait and see what my mate does now and report back if my troops can now be deployed in the next turn or not.

appreciate your help. need to work tomorrow, i am off for now. thx for your patience.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:01 pm

@unwichtig: It really bothers me that despite my last scriptfix the logfile for your match comes up with the same crash report, even referring to a line of the old script, as if the new scriptfix seems to be ignored by the engine.

Usually I've been able to fix ongoing matches, even multiplayer ones with scriptfixes "on the fly", however in your match the problem might be caused by the possibility that "game_deployment.lua" is one more of the few scripts I know about that cannot be changed in an ongoing match, at least that's my theory at the moment.

It might very well be that I won't be able to fix the issue with the crash when deploying the repatriated "small garrisons" but at least now I know I have to apply special measures to the "repatriate unit" function for multiplayer games in the future.

My advice for now: keep on playing, ignore those two small garrison units in your production queue and see how far you can get. :|
Find it here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Yes I understand. I promise I keep u informed about the ongoing match.
I completed my move and did not touch the units. It worked, but my opponent has not done his move yet so I don't know what will happen.
In any case I will find out what happens to the two Austrian units next turn. Maybe u are right and they are then deployable. Hopefully.

But yes, the entire issue must be based on this error.
It was the first time since I played Potzblitz that I gave up transylvania and got these two units to redeploy them.
Everything else in the game was normal as usual.

Worst case solution is to delete these two units in the first place and make Austria start without them. To rebalance it, temscheburg could get a reserve corps instead because it will never be ceded. But let's wait and see.

It was the first time in all games I ever played that I was allowed to deploy this small garrisons. I agree with your theory... They were never officially build and this leads to crash.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:54 pm

In singleplayer mode the repatriate function works without flaws. Again it's the multiplayer mode that causes trouble, like in the past when new unit spawn function caused crashes.

Those are faults not covered by the original designers, still they got implemented without warnings for modders-to-be.

It takes great amounts of teamwork between modders (= me) and avid players to spot those issues and find workarounds.

Sadly, in case of multiplayer matches there doesn't seem too much of competitive players around who want to test my mod: probably only about 20 or so MP games might have been played in all the years and I've been involved in at least 5 of them. Believe me, that it's quite a bit disheartening for me, but I'll get this project done nonetheless!

In other, more positive news: today I've managed to achieve quite some progress for the Russian Civil War expansion. The basic "skeleton" is working, now it must be fleshed out. :D

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:02 am

1. Still have not done my move yet, I ll do it tonight and report back.

2. Yes that's true there is sadly not a lot activity on the MP server that includes Potzblitz players.
I am about to finish my 4th and 5th MP game now. But they are only versus two different players (bolt and norbi). Did not see any other open challenges.

3. I assume, (I might be wrong), that the intense difficulty in the SP Potzblitz mode which is easily 100% more difficult than the CTGW basic version scares people off and prevents them from playing more often. I think you need to be a little nerd (like us?), need to have patience and a will to learn and also accept that a defeat game can still be fun to continue to play. If a player has that... He will love Potzblitz. It's not always about winning early but also to prevent loosing early and last as long as possible. Like the last level of a tower defence game... Defend as long as possible but eventually you ll get overrun anyway...but it's Still fun to play.
But many players want to win, don't want to get smashed after a few turns already or they give up immediately when they see they are loosing. Many surrender early instead of continuing to play to see, test and trial new events to check if they can/could punch back.
The difference between vanilla and Potzblitz difficulty is so huge that some players that test it might think "oh dear, this is just for professionals" and then they stay with the very easy vanilla version which leads to easy victories even on hard difficulty. Maybe that's what majority wants.
Don't know, I will still recommend this to all players and I think I convinced 3 players that are using it now as well. They like it but I know that they are all "very ww1 interested people". They love how beautiful tha facts and background (I. E the whole Goeben and Breslau choices with the east Asian squadron) have been implemented in perfection. Seriously. But If you are not realy aware about some backgrounds of the war (I. E. The Greek shism etc), the complexety of events might deter some people. Some just purely want to focus on the army movements instead of having to think about 500 events that all lead to different results. That's sad, but we can't change it. Trust me some players appreciate that work you put into this. Maybe not as many as you wish but my friends and I think it's a masterpiece of ww1 strategy. We used to play axis allies ww1 boardgame Edition frequently and met each other often. Corona prohibited these meetings and gatherings so we all shifted to... Potzblitz now. There you go. That's potentially the largest community that I can imagine that would love this work. The axis and allies boardgame community.

4. Congrats for progress in Russian Civil War add on. Cant wait to see it.

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Robo,

few things:

1. MP crash that we discussed last week: I could continue my MP move because i ignored the two troops in my construction pool. All good, however, my opponent now tried to do his move and it crashes as well. He tried it without any scriptfixes and THEN with the latest script fix you provided. No chance. I will visit my friend tomorrow and double check, then I will upload his crashfile as well. He is not active in this forum but i will try to find out what the issue is and let you know.
At the moment the game is stuck, but sure we ll find a solution.

2. Just played single player and i have an rare observation (maybe i was just unlucky?!):
I play Entente against Aufmarsch Ost. To try something new, i influenced the Netherlands from game start to be able to open up a new "urprise front to Germany and "march straight into the ruhr" once they join. (In fact, that does seem to work, Germany blocks only the french border and with the majority of the english Expeditionary force landing in the netherlands and not in france, it leads to a totally different game. i.e. once the netherlands joins, Emden can be taken in a single turn which leads to a british port at the german coastline. very helpful.). Plan still needs finetuning, but yes, it looked good to me.

Here is my concern: I got holland joining me very early. And with dutch and british troops on dutch soil, most of the following dutch related events did not make sense anymore. The holland related events ultimately lead to a worse food crises in germany and finally the dutch war entry on entente side, right?
i think if holland joins so early both aspects become obsolete - why would holland "feed their enemy?" And they can also not "join entente twice".
Everytime i played events, i was given the choice to play different "Holland" related events in the mid game (Holland in Peril, Dutch Crises worsens, dutch economy strained) which therefore did not make sense anymore.
I recommend that, if holland joins early, all the events that lead to a dutch warentry on entente side, are discarded. there is no need to play them if they are already part of my alliance. But because they kept showing up, i still had to play them all to get them "out of the eventpool" as they kept appearing all the time.
That cost me approx 150DPs.
I dont know the game mechanics, maybe there are more reasons to keep the events in play. if there are, disregard this point.
Its not a big issue.

3. SP Crash (very strange this time, might be a major **** so dont waste too much time on this one. I can continue to play the game, but i am unable to save it. If i press save it crashes immediately, in any future turn. Never ever had this before. Background:
Mid 1917, (First time I reached the russian revolution in a SP game), it it the same game as described above. My turn is complete, i push "next turn button", then i can do the next moves as well etc., but then when am pushing the save button it crashes. This is the latest savefile i have, after this turn i cant save anything anymore.
I have added crashlog AND savefile.
It was an experimental game so it looks pretty chaotic on the map, played all the events i never played before.
Testgame NLD.rar
(173.7 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
ctgw.rar
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm

1. okay, hope the logfile is of any help. By the way: I've had success localizing and fixing the bug that lead to your undeployable garrisons. Bad new is that the issue cannot be fixed retroactively in your match because the internal unit rooster is now botched up. No problem if this would have happened in a singleplayer match, alas multiplayer is a bit more touchy about stuff.

2. Oh, I forgot about having them auto-discarded when NL joins the war. Thanks for the heads-up.

3. Could not reproduce that issue. Saving on the next turn worked without problems. Maybe because the RNG (random number generator) came up with different results for me.
Tested a second time, still everything was fine. :/

Anyway, the SaveGame function is part of the core engine (ctgw.exe) and therefore beyond the scope of my competence and responsibility.

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:33 pm

Ok thanks a lot.

1. I ll just send the crashfile of my friend to you just to double check. If the game needs to end because of that, no problem. I think it was only turn 15 or something so its okay.
First turns can be replayed quickly. Its the later turns that take ages.

2. Thanks for the holland issue, it will make the game smoother if players wish to make NLD join them asap.
I like the dutch events though, first time i saw them in action. Even after 400 hours i detect new events i never saw before. high replay value, nice.

3. Yeah i thought so, at least the saving works for you, so it must be my computer/my mistake. I tried multiple times, no chance.
I can load all other savefiles, start new games and save them, everything is absolutley okay.
Its the first time i ever had this issue. tha crash file always looks the same. I guess i musst finish the game without saving then. Will try.

4. i hardly find "frequent" players for MP, the previous opponent norbi started a few games but he sadly did not continue all of them. I have been waiting for his moves for more than 2 weeks now :(

Robotron: If YOU want to trial MP games more often and detect crashes...I offer you to fight me!

Accept a MP challenge robotron? I can open a game if you want. I ll play a few turns every day. Its up to you. we can trial all kind of stuff.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:56 pm

Thought so about that norbi guy. Unfortunately a lot of new players are over-enthusiastic a the beginning but then they loose interest after getting rough-handled. :mrgreen:

I'll upload a new scriptfix which deals with those issues reported by you and kossatx, then I'll open a challenge.

Would you like to play CP or Entente?

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Great!!!

Hmmm, good question. i ll take Entente. If we play a 2nd game, we can swap.

In fact, norbi had a few good moves with his trains. I never really used the armoured trains a lot. But he seemed to be using them a lot which surprised me.
In one game i was shocked how good they can be to "rush" into a country if they operate together. That game was pretty balanced and i am surprised the he did not continue.

the other game he gave up early after i took vienna and budapest very early. never mind. Norbi if you read this dont give up you had some good moves and i would like to continue to play. it was fun!!!

Looking forward. Will be fun surely. I guess i have lots to learn but i ll be continueing until i "die", thats a promise. no give up.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 pm

I've uploaded the new scriptfix.
Install it as usual.
If you're ready, then say so and I'll open a new challenge and send you the password via PM.

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Thx, done. Happy to start now, tbh i dont care who to play with.
I start with entente, if you want 2nd game (maybe even parallel) we ll swap.
Awaiting PW Pvt Msg.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:45 pm

And off we go! :D

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:48 pm

@unwichtig: because of volatile ingame-chatbox behavior please make it a habit to check your forum-PMs from me, so we can have a discussion about stuff going on in our match. ;)

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:24 pm

Okay, I will check more often. Just wrote something.
One more turn today, then i need to call it a day. Need to work tomorrow.

OMGNOES
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by OMGNOES » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 pm

As always I am enjoying Potzblitz!

However, my savegame is stuck right now. Game crashes when AI attacks a Russian Reserve Corps near the Caucasus. I attached the log.
Attachments
ctgw.zip
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:43 pm

OMGNOES wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 pm
As always I am enjoying Potzblitz!
Strange comment for a first-time poster. o_O

Try the fix I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=218&t=101239#p880723

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Crash!

This is from our current MP game. I want to check "Management box". Everytime i click on it the game crashes. Tried it 3 times.
Would love to do my move, log says theres "a nil value" somewhere :roll:
ctgw.rar
(1018 Bytes) Downloaded 2 times

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Please do your turn without accessing the "management panel".

I'll check for the bug on MY turn because I can then run the necessary tests.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”