old Potzblitz thread (discontinued)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ: a mod for CTGW RELEASED!

Post by nehi »

kirk23 wrote:but soon realized that my normal method of game play won't work using the mod. As both Austria and Germany's morale was extremely low, and I was still only in Dec 1914
yeah, cossacks are huge bullies, its no problem to surrender with germany in 1914 when u push all fronts except russian

but the most funny part is, when russia got hastened mobilization event, then it joins war in next turn after germans, 10 infantries and 5 cavalries vs some garrisons and a lot of free space 8)

it can be countered with tannenberg event
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

@nehi: yes, the russian surprise attack is quite heavy, but it won't happen if the "Redeploy" event has fired in turn 2. Also you get mighty(!) Sweden to do amphibious landings in Finland (I'll give Sweden sea transport in the update). ^^

@kirk: yep, toning down zeps is probably the way to go. As for a MAX limit: also a very good idea, but at the moment I see no way to implement it...maybe give out a message via event, that the limit has been reached and deleting all further units that are built after that? Don't know yet.

Concerning morale: I have weakened the Cossacks event: as the Germans you will lose morale according to (number of german hexes held by Russia minus number of russian hexes held by Germany). That's better I guess. Or I might try to only give a 50% chance for a -1 morale hit for every Russian occupied german hex. Or both.
One must not forget that Germany led by a skilled player will get huge morale boosts during the game via a good kill/casualities rate every turn once the army has been maxed out. ;)

To satisfy nehi and all other crack players I have also re-positioned the line of defenders in France, giving them some extra troops in case the Schlieffen-hammer advances too fast. Belgium will start with barbed wire tech (whatever good that will do them ^^) and BEF will appear with greater chance in turn 4 (now 33%, was 25% and 66% in turn 5, auto in turn 6). I also reintroduced the cavalry reserve near Bordeaux.

I think I will also put a german fortress at the southern end of the german-franco border opposite Belfort to hinder the human player as Entente to break through to Stuttgart too easily.

And please give a hearty applause for a new commander: King Albert I of Belgium (groundattack:1, base defense: 3, range:2) 8)
Attachments
commander_86_info.png
commander_86_info.png (45 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
nehi

Post by nehi »

i hope anyone will appreciate some resistance on the way to the channel

btw now i remembered one more minor flaw, when ive broken france quickly, i lost kluck, bulow etc. when their units were moved to the ef...

maybe some check if france is still in the war, if not, let em live and prosper? 8)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Fixed. Thanks for reporting.
nehi

Post by nehi »

how should egypt revolution work? i saw it twice, it made new neutral state with alexandria and cairo in it and thats all? what triggers it? it would be nice to do it on purpose as backstab

about fighters... what about give em GA 1? i prefer shock more 8) (because it can be cumulated in following turns), but just now they are as valuable as their scrap
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

No more stuka fighters, we had that before.
nehi

Post by nehi »

ga 1 do like nothin, sg has ga 2

we had ga1 + sh2, thats way better than 1+0

but im not scared to disband any useless unit and they are just few there, so i will appreciate them as extra pps
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Yes, and we've also seen certain players spamming dozens of air units. ;)

About disbanding: do so, after seeing your YT-vid I've already reduced the disbanding refund to almost nothing.

Emperor Wilhelm II: "Moltke, what the hell are you doing? Where's my army and my battlefleet?"
Moltke: "I DISBANDED them coz they were craptasticly useless, u know? ROFL"

Seriously, why do you even bother playing the mod if almost everything about it seems to be a pain in the ass to you?
kirk23
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by kirk23 »

nehi wrote:ga 1 do like nothin, sg has ga 2

we had ga1 + sh2, thats way better than 1+0

but im not scared to disband any useless unit and they are just few there, so i will appreciate them as extra pps

Disbanding units that are of no importance in your eyes, just so that you can get PPs to build Air units, mainly Zeppelins, if your screen shots are anything to go by, is nothing more than a gamey tactic, and does not reflect what was available to the Countries involved in world war 1. Air warfare played no significant part in the war, in respect to its over all effect to ground forces. Hence the reason for the static nature of world war 1 trench warfare, it was Artillery and Tanks, that helped change the direction the war took. Zeppelins during the war were few in number, as the materials used for their construction, were in short supply.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Thanks for reinforcing my point, kirk. :)

@nehi: please don't see my objections as personal offense, but I hope you are not the only one still playing this game (and my mod) and not everyone is as advanced as you, you are maybe the best player around.
But there are also many players who even have difficulties winning the vanilla game as Entente, don't forget that when bringing up points about the game being too easy. I truly(!!!!) approve your enthusiam which has found many bugs and other shortcomings that I probably would not have found without your help (4 eyes see more than two, right?). So BIG thanks to you again. :D

But to repeat myself: my mod is about showing the feeling of WW1 and that is trench-warfare and months and years of stalemate. That is the reason why airforce gets "crippled". But it only seems "crippled" because airforce was way too strong in the vanilla game to start with and this was discussed many times before when the game was still "hot". And in my opinion it bloody ruined the game for many players who were appalled by such imbalances when playing multiplayer and just lost interest and never came back. Which is a shame, to put it mildly, as the game is brilliant in all other respects (besides the AI).
It's funny how the very players that shamelessly exploited that airwar-imbalance now come back, crying about nobody wanting to play the game anymore in multiplayer mode. :twisted:

If a player does not agree with this opinion, then he probably should not play this mod and I'm fine with that. I did not make this mod to earn fame or please specific players but to offer my personal view of how things should be done. That being said, I'm always open to critique but not when it goes totally against my design philosophy.

I agree that the western front must be strengthened but even I as the modder struggle to keep the offensive in France going in 1914. So, let's not just put 20 french infantrys around Paris from the get-go but slowly find out how to keep things interesting for everybody who wants a WW1 feeling in the game. :)

P.S. to all other players: please tell me what you think about the mod, what can be done better in your opinion? :?: (update coming up this weekend)
moreauv
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by moreauv »

Grea mod,love it and all the new events,any plans on more ones?
By the way is there an irish uprising event?
moreauv

Post by moreauv »

I also think that manual control over convoys would be good
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

moreauv wrote:I also think that manual control over convoys would be good
Yes, there is an Irish Uprising, it can happen as soon as 1916. For manual control of convoys I'll have to ask kirk23, he figured that out. :)

Thanks for the kudos, and yes: there WILL be more events, next update is due for tomorrow. Feel free to suggest more events, I LOVE coding events. :D
moreauv

Post by moreauv »

Maybe russian civil war? Red vs whites
Vokt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Vokt »

Great mod so far (I haven't finished a game but it can be seen the difference with vanilla game).

Any chances for soon being able to edit the map and/or counters?
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

I've captured Calais,Paris and verdun but france never surrenders,i captured Paris in 14 and its mid 16 now
nehi

Post by nehi »

Moreau wrote:I've captured Calais,Paris and verdun but france never surrenders,i captured Paris in 14 and its mid 16 now
its not enough, its hard to tell exactly whats needed, but usually it needs paris, verdun and fall of serbia / or french dreadnought / or bordeaux (all together should be enough anytime)

there is something about kill/deaths ratio count in, so when u just seize cities without much fight, something more will be needed, final blow for last few % of morale can be done by hitting production, ships with coastal bombardment or zeps

minor cities hits morale just through losing its production (if robotron left this unchanged), if im right its like 3 pp ~ 2%, thats why bulgaria is usually last standing, with any of its cities
Robotron wrote:About disbanding: do so, after seeing your YT-vid I've already reduced the disbanding refund to almost nothing.

Emperor Wilhelm II: "Moltke, what the hell are you doing? Where's my army and my battlefleet?"
Moltke: "I DISBANDED them coz they were craptasticly useless, u know? ROFL"
moltke was right and keiser just incompetent rack for medals
lowering payback wont make useless units more usefull, if zeps can have shock 1, fighter can have ga 1, shock is more devastating than some very low chance to hit menpower, whats chance to do damage with ga 1 vs def 15 (infantry without tech +4D) or vs def 19?
im convinced its not worth to spam unit with ga 1, in war informations matter, u can imagine ga 1 is like a recon mission which gives attacking side minor advantage when planing attack on that hex
especially in the begining only showing units dont give any advantage, its head to head, shoulder to shoulder fight, with limited moving, there is no chance for encirclement
Robotron wrote: Seriously, why do you even bother playing the mod if almost everything about it seems to be a pain in the ass to you?
i like this game and u improve it in vs ai games, im reporting odd things, its shorter than reporting right things, im lazy and not much skilled in english, stomping around and killing belgians is much easier than to formulate sentences for me
nehi wrote:in overall u made interesting mod, my complaints were just minor issues which look wierd for me
nehi wrote:i understand your goals, but u did great job for anyone, i see no way to win it in less than 30 turns as cp (vanilla ai can resist 13, so u doubled or trippled its endurance), your storm of events is enjoyable, except that instant killing ones :lol:
(meant as great job for stalemate lovers as for stalemate breakers)
Robotron wrote:But to repeat myself: my mod is about showing the feeling of WW1 and that is trench-warfare and months and years of stalemate. That is the reason why airforce gets "crippled". But it only seems "crippled" because airforce was way too strong in the vanilla game to start with and this was discussed many times before when the game was still "hot". And in my opinion it bloody ruined the game for many players who were appalled by such imbalances when playing multiplayer and just lost interest and never came back. Which is a shame, to put it mildly, as the game is brilliant in all other respects (besides the AI).
It's funny how the very players that shamelessly exploited that airwar-imbalance now come back, crying about nobody wanting to play the game anymore in multiplayer mode. :twisted:
games vs ai and mp are absolutely and totally different, your mod helps ai thats fine
but 1.66 vanilla has very well balanced units for mp, it has just one great flaw, small garrisons upkeep, which allows especially entente flood the map with units
one more problem is that strategic bombardment is too successful (but i can just guess how huge problem it would be with less income), coastal bombardment also, turkey is owned just by it anytime
ai just rarely swaps units, especially in capitals like never, without enough power to break trenches (yes, usefull aircraft), mp will be unevitable stalemate -if overepowered russian opening would fail or wont be overpowered- , which wont be decided in 60 turns (but maybe its your goal, as u said u want feeling of ww1)
players leaves not cause of aircraft, but just cause it doesnt go as they anticipated (based on vs ai games, which are easy), i played many mp games as cp, most of them (90%) lasted 10 turns or less, they all left just after first breakthrough, but game far from to be decided
when someone cries, its usually some flote admiral, who let ground battlefield as it is (it should be ww1 stalemate or its unhistorical :lol:) and spam subs

stalemate is maybe historical (on wf), but i dont believe that all that generals and admirals make some meeting at the beginning of the war and said "hey bros, come and have 4 years full of bloodshed", i believe they wanted to finish war as soon as possible, but they just hadnt experiences how to use new technologies and germans didnt now blitz shouldnt stop before french surrender 8)

weekend was quiet in mp, so i made one more run in potz, without using a single aircraft
zeps are not much usefull too, so its no problem at all
end in 26 turns as cp
maybe cavalries and navy are too powerfull (but seriously, ai is just too predictable, it has nothing to do with imbalances)

summary for lazy readers: robotron did great job and hes still improving it, who likes original game, will love his modification
(vs ai, mp is completely different story)
Attachments
noaircraft.rar
(136.76 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The update will take a little bit longer because I discovered certain glaring bugs which have been fixed now but will require some more testing to see everything is working as planned. To be precise: I think I might have found a way to keep the AI from overusing railroads thereby ruining it's fronts and troop efficiency. :)

Also the update will include a PDF detailing the events and specifics about the mod which might take another day or two to write.
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

Not going to lie,i just lost my first game as cp in 18
nehi

Post by nehi »

much better than me (nad maybe kirk) owned by cossacks in 14/15 :lol: