POTZBLITZ mod Update V3.4 (DEC 11th)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Andreh
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: POTZBLITZ: a mod for CTGW UPDATE V2.5

Post by Andreh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Thank you, I will finally be able to enjoy your wonderfull work. New lap has an oddity that wont work with native resolution(not your mod, but CTGW), but at least its working!

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Robotron » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Zombo wrote: BTW, how exactly does that Hindenburg thing work? you have to move the unit with Prittwitz behind the river?
Exactly. However you get a rather hefty morale penalty for doing so. The rationale behind that is that Prittwitz disobeys his orders by Moltke to remain where he is and a leaves his position on his own accord before the situation has been properly analysed and proper defense plans have been made. The abandonment of whole East Prussia could have sparked a general sense of defeatism in the public and the press, that's why the penalty is quite large (18 to 33 points, 15 +3d6). Oh, and you get a collapse point too for your troubles. :twisted:

One could argue that if the penalty is that large it's not worth retreating at all, and I agree that one should not do so. But at least you get Hindenburg from the get-go and can use him to tear through the Russian garrisons that usually try to break through to Breslau or Danzig. It's also thought to be a kind of help for novice players who are totally unable to make the Tannenberg event happen (better a terrible end than unending terror, right?). ;)

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:39 pm

But what if you don't need to retreat Prittwitz? Hindenburg never appears?

It might lead to weird situations where the Russians are completely held in check but the German player decides he needs Hindenburg and so he retreats Prittwitz, and gets all these penalties even if the frontline has not moved ( or could even be moving to the Germans advantage)

would it be better to simply link it to a number of German hexes controlled by the Russians? Also The Russians could break through and even take some cities, and if some some reason Prittwitz remains on the wrong side of the Vistula, nothing will happen.

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:00 pm

Hindenburg will appear as usual via the Tannenberg event if Prittwitz does not retreat.

Andreh

Post by Andreh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:10 pm

I wish I could play with one of you guys teaching me history over my shoulder! :)

glaude1955
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by glaude1955 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:44 am

Robotron wrote:Finally, after a month's delay V2.5 is completed. See first post for details.

Enjoy!
Thanks

Yves

TripleCP
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by TripleCP » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks for uploading the new version. Looking forward to trying it out.
https://www.facebook.com/RussianFront75/

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Great to see people are enjoying the mod. :D

At the moment I'm typing the long promised PDF explaining all the events en detail so you know what to expect.

moreauv
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by moreauv » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:25 pm

i think russia should take massive casualties if it attacks superior german troops,russia obviously needs some kind of nerf

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:56 pm

But Russia already has to attack about 10-12 turns without "industrialised warfare" tech which gives Germany a massive advantage of +6 to defense. :?:

When I'm playing CP It's not rare that I'm able to capture Warsaw before winter sets in. :?

TripleCP

Post by TripleCP » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Robotron wrote:Great to see people are enjoying the mod. :D

At the moment I'm typing the long promised PDF explaining all the events en detail so you know what to expect.
Great. I'm happy to report I got trounced in my first playthrough as the Entente. French morale plummeted and Belgium's surrender apparently pushed them over the edge. It was a little strange in that the French surrender and von Moltke sacked events took place the same turn.

I've put a list together of Russian city names that are either incorrect and/or anachronistic on the current map:

These cities currently have Soviet-era names:

DNEPROPETROVSK was YEKATERINOSLAV prior to 1926.
ULYANOVSK was SIMBIRSK prior to 1924.
GORKY was NIZHNI NOVGOROD prior to 1932 (restored to original name in 1990).
KRASNODAR was YEKATERINODAR prior to 1920.
KUYBYSHEV was SAMARA prior to 1935 (and is again since 1991).

KUTLAS should be KOTLAS (nothing political...just a spelling error).

These cities use the name and/or spelling of their current owners (Ukraine, Poland, Finland, etc.) rather than the Imperial Russian names. While not technically incorrect, cities of other nations use the names of their 1914-era owners rather than the current ones (i.e. German STRASSBURG rather than French STRASBOURG):

TALLINN was usually called REVAL prior to Estonia's post-WWI independence.
CHISINAU was usually called KISHINEV before it came under Romanian control post-WWI.

VINNYTSIA was usually spelled VINNITSA prior to Ukrainian independence in 1991.
ZHYTOMYR was usually spelled ZHITOMIR prior to Ukrainian independence in 1991.

BYALISTOK was usually spelled BELOSTOK when Poland was part of the Russian Empire.
OSOWIEC was usually spelled OSOVETZ when Poland was part of the Russian Empire.

VAASA was officially named NIKOLAISTAD prior to Finnish independence in 1917.
HELSINKI usually appeared as HELSINGFORS (the Swedish name) on pre-1917 maps.
TURKU usually appeared as ABO (the Swedish name) on pre-1917 maps.
Last edited by TripleCP on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by nehi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:25 am

and what about turkey? shouldnt it be ottomans empire? 8)

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:55 am

@TripleCP: thanks for the corrections, they will be included in the next update or bugfix.

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Phew...got to the letter "G" while typing the PDF explaing the events and the mod's game-mechanisms taking place "under the hood" in layman's terms. Quite a task with a total of over 400 possible events in the mod. ^^

Read my contribution to the Slitherine-Modding survey here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 04#p621413

TripleCP

Post by TripleCP » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Robotron wrote:@TripleCP: thanks for the corrections, they will be included in the next update or bugfix.
You're very welcome...thanks for your efforts on improving the game. One caveat about the Finnish location names...the most likely scenario in which I can imagine these locations coming into play would be if you plan on adding Finnish independence/civil war events at some point. Nikolaistad was promptly renamed Vaasa in 1917 and became the de facto capital of "White" Finland, while Turku and Helsinki were in the heart of "Red" territory. If there are plans to include Finland (Red Finland as Entente, White Finland as CP?) you may want to leave them as is.

The only other scenario I could imagine these cities coming into play is if Sweden joining the CP triggers the possibility of pro-Swedish uprisings in Nikolaistad/Vaasa (where Swedish speakers were the majority at the time) and Abo/Turku (which had been the old capital of Swedish Finland) in conjunction with a Swedish land or sea invasion. Maybe Russia runs the risk of this taking place if it doesn't maintain adequate forces within Finland?

moreauv

Post by moreauv » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:22 am

There is an event where the netherlands joins the entente,why not the central powers?
if i remebered correctly britain violated the netherlands trade alot during ww1

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 pm

I assume you are referring to the "wire of death" event. This event will only fire if you manage to botch up the conquest of Belgium for a really long time and its effect will end as soon as Belgium surrenders.
So even if the "War propaganda" event triggers it is highly unlikely that Netherlands will join Entente.

There is no event for Netherlands joining CP because I could not imagine a scenario where the Netherlands would risk getting completely cut off from sea trade by the Royal Navy by declaring war on the Entente.
It can theoretically occur if the event "Neutral convoy sunk by Entente" happens about 4-5 times in a game and the random number generator picks the Netherlands as the victim each time, the chance for this to happen is minimal though.

TripleCP

Post by TripleCP » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:59 pm

moreauv wrote:There is an event where the netherlands joins the entente,why not the central powers?
if i remebered correctly britain violated the netherlands trade alot during ww1
They knew they would lose their overseas colonies if they went to war with Britain, so that wasn't really in the cards. Only way it would be plausible is if Japan occupied the Dutch East Indies with British approval, which is quite a stretch.

Denmark is a more likely candidate, but only if the British chose to follow through with Lord Fisher's Baltic Project (without having previously secured Denmark's cooperation, which I believe was considered a prerequisite condition).

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Continued writing the event descriptions, almost two thirds completed, about 40 pages by now...might be finished at the end of the week. Hope someone will actually find this to be of any use at all.

No bug reports from you guys? I'm surprised! :shock:

Zombo

Post by Zombo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:29 pm

Hope someone will actually find this to be of any use at all
We most certainly will

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”