Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Robotron »

So, how did the game end? Rage-quit, huh?
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote:So, how did the game end? Rage-quit, huh?
why? it just stopped russia for a while, all ai waves bleeded out on barbed wires

but i guess its just too harsh, +100 down to -50 in like 5 turns, when russians owned hungary and half of austria and were pasive in their trenches

i wanted to point out, that even i followed all ways to make it softer and punched out austria before crisis started, it lasted long and production went in negative numbers fast (later it was -100 or so until i got polivanov)

only difference i figured out between first and second run was that it started 6 months later
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

This
nehi wrote:it just stopped russia for a while
and this
nehi wrote:but i guess its just too harsh
does not make much sense to me. Sounds to me you are complaining about not being able to steamroll the AI in record time.
Did you choose "Russian Surprise Attack" or tried "Full Russian mobilization"?
nehi wrote:i wanted to point out, that even i followed all ways to make it softer and punched out austria before crisis started, it lasted long and production went in negative numbers fast (later it was -100 or so until i got polivanov)
only difference i figured out between first and second run was that it started 6 months later
Did those 6 months allow you to take out Austria before the Crisis?

If we'd allow Russia to use her full potential unhindered then Russia would utterly crush CP.
I don't see any other way how to handle this problem than by handicapping Russia with the Crisis event.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote:This
Did you choose "Russian Surprise Attack" or tried "Full Russian mobilization"?
i didnt saw such events ever before

once in earlier 5.x i met it as cp, in times when sweden was very likely to join the war...

maybe im picking up wrong chain of events, im boosting serbia (serbia looks more capable to survive now, boosted is save until bulgarian backstab) or france if possible

austria is very weak in galicia i met just like 2 units east from przemysl on both runs, then armored train and cavalries can advance quickly to both majors, ai dont even bother when units are far from cities (vanilla issue), cavalries and train can move so fast, that they are facing just 5/10 small garrisons there

i guess ai doesnt count as threat units in distance of 4 or more hexes
Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Omnius »

Robotron,
Your extensive mod looks interesting. I'm still learning the vanilla game but am interested in giving this a try afterwards to see how it improves and varies the vanilla game. Looks like some interesting events and definitely will have to play Russia more carefully than in vanilla version. The Nfluence option looks interesting as do the diplomatic options you've added.

If there was one thing I wish your mod could do, that the Lordz didn't, was to add in a hotseat option. Being able to play the game with your mod would be a gas solitaire in hotseat mode.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Omnius: sadly, a hotseat mode is out of the question due to my lack of scripting skills.

@all: had a look at ALL CTGW MP-replay crash bugreports at Slitherine and Matrix forums from the past years (which were quite a LOT) and somewhat found my notion verified that randomization of any kind taking place(including players choosing events) is likely to screw the internal tables leading to a replay crash.

The vanilla game event script and combat scripts are totally void of any random elements so a perfect match of all the internal tables is guaranteed to get passed over to the other player to allow for a stable replay.

BUT: the whole diplo part where players choose one of the 3 events available is a quite "random" process: the events available are drawn randomly (albeit from a rather small pool of possible results) upon each draw and the actual choice taken by the player is also "random" by definition.

This of course would mean that the whole diplo system is doomed to failure and the whole mod too, at least from a MP perspective (SP will still work since there is no replay routine involved).

Since only a single person from the community seems to have tried the earlier versions of the mod in MP I guess those games were few enough so the issues did not surface or were fixed by reloading (by allowing the random number generator to produce different results that allowed the game to continue).
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: This of course would mean that the whole diplo system is doomed to failure and the whole mod too, at least from a MP perspective (SP will still work since there is no replay routine involved).
then its maybe the right time to revive my suggestion about semi random drawings

if the numbers would be set at start of each game, there shoudnt be randomization problem later? or not?

unfortunately there are too few people to play mp, to spent time on reworking it and retesting it
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

This of course would mean that the whole diplo system is doomed to failure and the whole mod too, at least from a MP perspective
There must be a way round this :shock: :?
tralala43
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by tralala43 »

I'd say: Forget the MP and develop the mod just for the SP since now. I am sure that this mod is mainly played in SP by the "ghost fans" who don't want to create a forum account and tell you that they enjoy it. They are out there :D . The event system is too good to be removed, it makes the game much more enjoyable - that is of course just MY 50 cents on the whole thing.

Also that is just in case you still enjoy improving the game of course.

Cheers
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

There are some MP ghost fans as well... :|
tralala43

Post by tralala43 »

Maybe, but if he is so frustrated with the MP bug and can't solve it then maybe it's not worth it anymore.
Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Omnius »

Robotron wrote:@Omnius: sadly, a hotseat mode is out of the question due to my lack of scripting skills.
Robotron,
No problem, had to ask. Lordz really dropped the ball on this. It will be interesting to play this after playing the vanilla version.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Well, while I did not win that Slitherine community award for "most successful mod" (based on views) for a mod created in 2017, I really took some pride by the fact that my updated 2017 version of PotzBlitz was able to accumulate more views for a much less popular game than the winner (a mod for PanzerCorps) although my thread was started in mid June (while the winner's started end of January).

Thanks a bunch, all you fans & lurkers. :D

The hunt for the MP bug will continue over the winter holidays. 8)
Vokt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Vokt »

Glad to hear that. The game has been so much improved with your mod that it made me get back to the game after years. It even made me to have more interest in WW1 and to make some readings about this decisive global war.
Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Omnius »

I'm wondering where that 98 page PDF file is that's mentioned in the initial description post here. I looked through all files but couldn't find the PDF file that explains what's new in Potzblitz.
Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Omnius »

Sadly the game crashes when trying to play now after I copied in the Potzblitz mod into the data folder and overwriting almost 500 files. I hope Robotron has some useful ideas on how to get game working again with mod otherwise it's game over for CTGW.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Omnius wrote:Sadly the game crashes when trying to play now after I copied in the Potzblitz mod into the data folder and overwriting almost 500 files. I hope Robotron has some useful ideas on how to get game working again with mod otherwise it's game over for CTGW.
crashing vanilla or potzblitz?

i have both separatelly without problems

if potzbliz, make fresh install of ctgw then apply mod then last hotfix
Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Omnius »

nehi wrote:
Omnius wrote:Sadly the game crashes when trying to play now after I copied in the Potzblitz mod into the data folder and overwriting almost 500 files. I hope Robotron has some useful ideas on how to get game working again with mod otherwise it's game over for CTGW.

nehi,
Potzblitz. Vanilla was fine. I upgraded game to 1.66 and applied 5.35 mod a second time. Used singleplayer balanced setting for both Entente and CP sides to try the potzblitz scenario but it bombs before even loading map.

What hotfix? That's not mentioned in the beginning description document, hopefully Robotron will update that to include any new hotfix files we need. Where is it located? Thanks for info.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Omnius wrote:
nehi wrote:

nehi,
Potzblitz. Vanilla was fine. I upgraded game to 1.66 and applied 5.35 mod a second time. Used singleplayer balanced setting for both Entente and CP sides to try the potzblitz scenario but it bombs before even loading map.

What hotfix? That's not mentioned in the beginning description document, hopefully Robotron will update that to include any new hotfix files we need. Where is it located? Thanks for info.
5.35 (smaller one) is just a hotfix, but u need main mod, which is 4.7 (huge one)

so once more

make fresh install of ctgw then apply mod then last hotfix
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=77884
Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Omnius »

nehi,
Okay now that makes sense. I was only looking at the hotfix install note. Will download and apply the 4.7 mod before the hotfix.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”