NEW UPDATE 11.21 NOV10TH 2020

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.1! AUG1st 2020

Post by Robotron » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:03 pm

trulster wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:02 pm
This mod looks amazing for content and gameplay.

However, when clicking "launch" after selecting podzblitz in the game start menu, it crashes and goes back to windows after a couple of seconds. Can the issue be a major use of memory?
No. If the game crashes right after clicking on "launch" then something is wrong with your installation of the mod.

Have you followed the instructions in the opening post?

1. make sure your basic game is version number 1.6.6. If you got the game via Steam then you should be fine. However, if you installed the game from another source there's a chance you might be using an earlier version of the game. In this case you must first update to version 1.6.6.

Also the mod only supports ENGLISH language, so don't choose another language because then the game will crash.

2. first download and install the main mod from the link in the starting post. You install the mod by pasting the "Data" folder from the downloaded archive into the game's main directory, where there is already a "Data" folder, which you must overwrite.

3. Repeat step 2 with the V11.2 update from the link in the starting post.

Report back if you still have problems starting the mod.
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
Find it here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.2 NOV9TH 2020

Post by Robotron » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:44 pm

@all: I've just uploaded V11.2, see starting post for the download link.

The only change from V11.1 is that the new version contains all the corrections from the bug-fix thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=218&t=101239

I strongly recommend all players to use V11.2, so everyone is using the same version.

Do not update the game while any matches are in progress. Finish those matches before you apply the update.
Find it here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks, got it to work.

Though, game crashes when German AI takes Antwerp, the last Belgian city not conquered.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:10 pm

trulster wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 pm
Thanks, got it to work.

Though, game crashes when German AI takes Antwerp, the last Belgian city not conquered.
This sounds unusual.
To fix your problem I'll need you to provide to me the ctgw.log file.
This file contains important information concerning why your game crashes.

This ctgw.log can be found in your Documents folder, so look in "My Documents\My Games\Commander The Great War".

NOTE: This log is overwritten every time you restart the game.
Please make a copy of the log right after the crash.
Do NOT RESTART the game before you've made that copy right after the crash.

Put that ctgw.log into a .zip archive and attach it to your post using the forum's "upload attachment" feature.
You can find the upload button in the bottom left corner of the reply box after you click on "full editor and preview".

Alternatively you can just open the ctgw.log with a standard text editor, scroll down to the end & mark the last few lines at the end and use copy/paste.
Paste those last few lines with the "error" message in your next forum reply, usually this holds enough information to fix a bug
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trulster

Post by trulster » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:19 pm

[19:15:05][326880]COMMANDER WOUND ROUTINE FINISHED!
[19:15:08][326880]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:AntwerpCaptured
[19:15:08][326880]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:BelgiumAbandoned
[19:15:08][326880]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:Surrenderbelgium
[19:15:08][326880]push out of port after surrender 1
[19:15:09][326880]Resume: false, ai/targeting_and_attack.lua:219: attempt to index field 'hex' (a nil value)
[19:15:09][326880][C]:-1(global error) ai/ai.lua:28: ai/targeting_and_attack.lua:219: attempt to index field 'hex'
Attachments
AutoSaveEndTurn.zip
(154.21 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
ctgw.zip
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by trulster on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:29 pm

Still unclear, never seen this before in 5 years.

Put that ctgw.log into a .zip archive and attach it to your post using the forum's "upload attachment" feature.
You can find the upload button in the bottom left corner of the reply box after you click on "full editor and preview".

Just to be sure include the autosave.endturn too because this seems to be a highly unusual case.
You can find the autosave.endturn in My Games/Commander the Great War/Save

trulster

Post by trulster » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:48 pm

ok added to above post, I think.

Unwichtig
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.1! AUG1st 2020

Post by Unwichtig » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:32 pm

Robotron wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:54 am
I'll add a "move-event" that triggers when French units move on German hexes, boosting French morale.
Until the "Attaque a outrance" triggers, French units in the Alsace-Lorraine region will also have a +5 combat bonus, being the equivalent of a "Wave of Patriotism" event for multiple turns.
However I doubt it will be of much significance beyond pure "flavor" because any Entente player worth his salt will most likely withdraw his troops to stop the Germans from getting to Paris.
On the other hand "flavor" is what makes this mod different from comparable games about WW1 ;)
Ok, that sounds fine. I agree, i do not think this will be a game-changing event but never mind.
I cant imagine that players have the capacity to attack Germany whilst defending Paris and northern France at the same time.
Unless...The CP pick the "Aufmarsch Ost"...in this case this could indeed be a game-changer as it would allow the french to add additional pressure on the German Fortresses Strassburg and Metz.
At the moment the game is often stuck a little in the west (if Germany does not attack France first) and it takes approx 25 turns to break through the defensive lines (Thats about the number of turns i managed to defend the area against you in our match when i attacked russia.) An attack Bonus would have given you an extra-boost.
Under this condition it could be a very interesting extra event.

We ll see. Cant wait for Mod12. Must be the biggest change and add on ever.

trulster

Post by trulster » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 am

BTW, I realise there will be bugs in such an impressively massive mod, but on an average playthrough (single player), how likely is a fatal (ie impossible to continue game) crash? 20%, 50%...?

Gallean
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Gallean » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:21 am

trulster wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 am
BTW, I realise there will be bugs in such an impressively massive mod, but on an average playthrough (single player), how likely is a fatal (ie impossible to continue game) crash? 20%, 50%...?
I played it several times, with no such crashes. Keep in mind, like in the original game, the computer throws at you impossible number of armies.

trulster

Post by trulster » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:56 am

Ok so it seems I got exceedingly unlucky on my first attempt. In that case I might venture to start a new campaign and hope same bug does not occur again.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:23 pm

trulster wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 am
I don't know how many people are playing my mod but when a bug is reported I can usually fix it in a few minutes. The chance for such a rare bird as yours occurring is very low (2%?).
The problem here is that the bug is caused by the AI part of the scripts which was not coded by me and which is difficult to analyze. I'll need a bit more time for this but I believe I can solve it.

LepetitKipetchi
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by LepetitKipetchi » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi,

I did not send you my Auto Save just after the crash so I guess that's the reason why you did not found it and now I have played another game so it's too late...
The idea of Unwichtig to relocate the French economy in the south or the west of France is very good, it can create new challenges when you play CP !

Another event for France and Belgium (with the flooding of a part of Belgium already done) could be "the Battle of the Yser (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Yser) where the Belgium troops and the French "Fusiliers Marins" (Navy Troops) stopped the German Army close to the sea. You can play it when Antwerp falls and Entente still have troops in Belgium. It would motivate more Entente to keep troops in Belgium. That can stop the German troops in Belgium for a turn when they cannot move and they suffer some loss like 1 or 2 points ?

Also a bonus fight for French troops attacking in Alsace Lorraine could be nice and even more if "Aufmarsch Ost" is played.
And I agree that it is impossible to get all the cities for CP when they play this event, it is too hard : just Varsovie and Riga or Varsovie and Vilna could be very difficult but more realistic :)

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.21 NOV10TH 2020

Post by Robotron » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:20 pm

@trulster: managed to find the source of the problem, find the bugfix here:
viewtopic.php?f=218&t=101239#p888536

Copy the DATA folder found in that archive over the DATA folder in the main directory.

Everybody else should also apply the bugfix!

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:06 pm

Good evening all,

@All: Great to see some activity here. Looks like few new players around. Its worth it and i can tell you that fatal crashs that cannot be fixed are almost unrealistic.
I think its less than 5% of the games that i played that crashed, and in 9 out of 10 crashs the bugs were fixed. The ONLY game (out of +30 played) that was not fixable was a match that prevented me from saving the game. Sadly that happened 1915 and i did not want to finish the entire rest of the war in one go. Everytime i pushed "save" it crashed, zero idea why. So i quit the game, but that was all. It is absolutley stable, just start a new match. It will work if u installed all correct.

@French Event: Having thought a little longer in depth about it, i like the Counter-French Offensive in Alsace-Lorraine more and more. But with a few limitations.
1. Yes, it is actually totally unrealistic that France ever does a counteroffensive if Germany does the Schlieffen. Will not happen. No need for an event actually.
2. However, I suggest that this event is therefore only added to the event pool IF CP chooses for Aufmarsch Ost.

Reason is simple: The Aufmarsch Ost plan is the by far easiest to play with CP, it highly likely leeds to victory (with little experience). I win 90% of them, even the condition Warsaw, Riga and Vilna ist achievable in Dec 1914. Thats all because of the tiny little frontline against france thats protected by two fortresses. AI never breaks through here.
AND: If Germany goes "Aufmarsch East" all other French events are pretty useless as they all refer to the Schlieffenplan (Fortify Vedun, Marne Taxis, Defend Paris, Stalemate, French Legion, French Army of Africa etc.). None of this is required - If Germany goes East Entente rather plays British-Russian Events as France is not threatened.

I just think that Entente does not really have an equal "Respond-Event" to Aufmarsch Ost at the moment.
That might be, because the Aufmarsch Ost plan is artificial anyway and historically not correct. Therefore it would not be wrong adding another French Event that is also not correct, but at least opens new dynamics to the Game.
It would make the Aufmarsch a little more difficult for CP and rebalance it with the other two and more difficult attack plans. (By the way even after 600 hours i never ever managed to succees the rupprecht plan :oops: Its insane to master and win the war with it.)

Suggested condition:
- Germany chooses "Aufmarsch Ost"
- Germany does very well in the East, i.e.: Shelling of Sevastopol is executed OR one of the victory conditions is achieved in Dec 1914.
- This will add Event in Entente Event Pool. "Strike into Alsace Lorraine as majority of German Troops are stuck in the East"
Effect:
- Attackbonus of French Artillery +1 until Metz or Strassburg is conquered
- French Morale Boost +20 each if Metz and Strasburg are captured
- Plus 2 Ammofactories for France
- Minus 1 French collapse point if all Hexes of Alsace-Lorraine are "liberated" until next Winter (unlikely, but it makes Entente player want to try and start offensive immediately)

Thoughts?
Sorry for long text. Thanks again for this amazing Mod Robotron, cant get enough of it.

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:17 pm

"Cran, Elan et la Baionnette!" (French event)
event_Outrance.jpg
event_Outrance.jpg (114.93 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Conditions:
- will be available to play from Entente event pool once France joins the war in any scenario
- will be automatically triggered once a French unit moves onto a German hex (safes diplo points but most likely sacrifices a unit)

Effects:
- significantly delays the catastrophic "Attaque a Outrance" event
- each French attack on a German unit has a combat bonus of +3
- each French attack on a German unit raises French morale by 1
- each French attack on a German unit consumes 1D6 extra French manpower

Effects end / Event will be removed from Entente event pool if:
either "Attaque a Outrance" eventually triggers
or Paris was attacked

In short this event allows the Entente player to play more aggressively with the French at the cost of even more manpower than before.
Keep in mind that in V12 each major nation will have 200 extra manpower to "throw around".
Combined with "Wave of Patriotism" this even has good chances to break through the German defenses in Alsace-Lorraine.

Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:16 pm

Yes, thats a game changer and allows France to finally do something instead of just digging in to defend.
Comes at high price, but okay, extra loss of manpower vs more offensive capability.
Every future Entente player has a choice to make now, thats good.

Regarding Victory Conditions for Aufmarsch Ost:
Warsaw, Riga and Vilna is okay (Not easy, but achievable)

Warsaw and Minsk is very hard - Minsk is much further than Vilna and everytime i try to get it i pass Vilna anyway as its on the way. Minsk is in the middle of a flat terrain with no fortress, plus many railroads. Everytime i tried to get this, my opponent managed to get a train into minsk easily to block access or i was outflanked by troops approaching from riga. Works only against brandnew players.
However, I DID manage to get Riga, Vilna and Minsk. But i avoided Warsaw as its surrounded by fortresses (takes to much time to siege).
Thats okay if Germany does an all out offensive from East Prussia.

Warsaw and Kiev: Never made it. Austrians in southern flank are not capable to start an invasion into Russia, they get crippled all the time.
And there is not enough time until Dec 1914 to re-arrange with the germans and send them to the southern flank. Why would you if option 1 and 2 are easier and quicker.
I therefore suggest the following:

1. Warsaw, Riga and Vilna
2. Riga Vilna and Minsk
3. Warsaw, Vilna and Bresk-Litowsk.

All 3 options seem to be balanced and lead to different games. Option 3 even includes a participation of austria if they approach from south.
Would like to know what other players think?!?

Robotron
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Robotron » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Unwichtig wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:16 pm
I therefore suggest the following:

1. Warsaw, Riga and Vilna
2. Riga Vilna and Minsk
3. Warsaw, Vilna and Bresk-Litowsk.

All 3 options seem to be balanced and lead to different games. Option 3 even includes a participation of austria if they approach from south.
Would like to know what other players think?!?
Sounds pretty good to me.

trulster

Post by trulster » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:24 am

Robotron wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:20 pm
@trulster: managed to find the source of the problem, find the bugfix here:
Thanks a lot, speedy fix!

LepetitKipetchi

Post by LepetitKipetchi » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:45 am

Hi everyone,

This French event sounds nice, good job !

For the "Aufmarsch Ost", when I played and had the opportunity to take Warsaw at the beginning of the war, I was waiting for it because England is entering into the war just after this event so it was more interessant to keep them out and wait that the Ottoman Empire become more powerfull. If the "Aufmarsch Ost" plan is a success before the end of 1914, is the game finishing ? Or what happens ? I have never succeed it so I don't know if my strategy is better or if I should try to apply the plan.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”