Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Potzblitz V12.04 MAR7TH 2021

Post by Robotron »

What's up with that crash from turn 54 when you said earlier you played until turn 61?
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Unwichtig
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Unwichtig »

Ah sorry, i did not explain. The crashfile is not belonging to the screenshot.
Screenshot is turn 54, tha crash happens on turn 61 when i want to see the final replay.
I just cant finish the game.
I am sure i lost, there is no other option.
So I did not bother. My opponent finished turn 61 and the only country that should still be in play shoud be uk which has 60+ collapse points.
I thought you wanted to know what the final event was and how the war ended. The answer is i dont know, none of us ever saw a ´war finshing event´.
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Robotron wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 am
Unwichtig wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:25 pm
However, france has no reserves to ouflank germany via belgium. The innocent passage is not played to force germany to declare war on Belgium first instead.
I'm confused about what event you are referring to. There is no such event that would force Germany to attack Belgium. Surely there must be a misunderstanding.
Yes, a misunderstanding. All good. The event that i am talking about is that the french troops claim some belgium hexes to march into germany. Its the event when belgium allows french troops to pass but does not give away cities and fortresses and does not join the war.
I could have played it, but i did not.

I needed all french troops in italy to keep them in the game as long as possible and i had no reserves to outflank germany via belgium.
I wanted to use neutral belglium as a barrier to protect my flank. Consequently, the only option for germany to attack france was to declare war on belgium which is what i wanted to have some additional fortresses in belgium for defense and get antwerp as well. I thought its better to let germany breaking neutrality instead of me.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Were you able to see the "final event"/victory outcome in the other PBEM matches you played?
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Lots of submarine discussions going on in the previous times. I read all your suggestions and actually i think you are right, we should not add too many penalties and changes at the same time - otherweise we never know what the effect of a single change was.

From all the suggestions seen, i think the two following are initially enough as they have enough potential changing the way subs will be used:
1. Remove instant repair of subs and make add +5 strengh per repair. This will force subs to stay in port a little longer.
2. Once a sub attacks or is involved in an ambush, all units within weapon and movement range can counter attack it - Not just the unit that ist already in position in an adjacent hex. With this, a sub will think twice prior to an attack on a surface ship as any others could counterstrike and sink it.

I agree, just sinking a few subs with events (Lost submarine, q-ships etc.) would be too cheap and unfair. Disregard that idea for now. Maybe its not even required.
Maybe this can be added much later if it still does not work.

Finally, i personally think its okay if entente countries can build ONE sub. Why? Just to even the chance that german ships can also be ambushed a little. at the moment this never happens. If i see that the single UK sub is in the baltics, I KNOW it cant be in the north sea making it 100% secure attacking a RN light cruiser or whatever with a BB-BC whilst being shielded by my subs to prevent counterattacks. Like this, german BB and BC are always secure. That must stop.
In addition, this would make it more attractive again researching some better submarine technologies. Thats somehing that entente players dont really had to focus on as they could not build subs anyway. I personally rather focussed on other stuff instead.
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Robotron wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:20 pm Were you able to see the "final event"/victory outcome in the other PBEM matches you played?
Yes! Final events work very well.
I have to be more precise, we saw final events in ALL games - The ONLY game that it did NOT work was our strange 61 Turn game.
I assumed its related to the UK. We just did not know what to do with them.
I did not want them in the alliance anymore there manpower was red, they had collapse points and no fleet, they were just finished.
We were just worried that france gets double penalties if UK surrenders twice. So i left the uk untouched and we ignored them for the rest of the game.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

:?
Last edited by Robotron on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Did it twice (download, copy, replay etc.), both times get the identical following crash report during the replay (This is the last column):

[21:27:09][9104]=======================DIPLO SEQUENCE START============================
[21:27:09][9104]Phase start: entente
[21:27:09][9104]ui/diplomacy_panel.lua:376(method Refresh) ui/diplomacy_panel.lua:376: attempt to index field 'diplomacyFaction' (a nil value)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

How about this then:
Attachments
ScriptFixV12.04.3b.zip
(385.76 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (336.33 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Yes!!!! Well done. It worked. As expected i lost. Thank you
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

YAY!

:D
trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster »

This massive revolt deserves its own event for the significance of the effects. Yes, it occurs "off-map", but should result in a manpower and collapse point loss for Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_A ... lt_of_1916
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

trulster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am This massive revolt deserves its own event for the significance of the effects. Yes, it occurs "off-map", but should result in a manpower and collapse point loss for Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_A ... lt_of_1916
Yes, why not. But since I've yet 20+ other events to finish, may I suggest you (or other players) help me out a bit by thinking up the exact conditions and effects of that event?
Also a somewhat compelling event description texts will be needed - not too short but 415 characters at maximum.

While I'm at it, if anyone wants to help, I'd also appreciate contributions of event texts for the following events (again 415 characters max):

- Field Post Office
- Spanish War Council
- CP Submarines enter Spanish Ports
- Paper War (the newspaper propaganda battle for Spanish war support)
- Defuse the Irish Question
- Q-Boats
- Graf Luckner Commerce Raider

Any help will speed up the completion of V12.1 8)
trulster

Post by trulster »

Sure, glad to help, could you post an example of event text so we can tell length and style of text?

In the wiki it says

"As a response, around 30,000 soldiers, including Cossacks, armed with machine guns and artillery were diverted from the Eastern Front of World War I and sent in to crush the rebels, and arrived two weeks later via trains."

So would be cool if one Russian unit disappeared for half a year before coming back (in production queue), if that is possible to program.

Or perhaps better, give the Russian a choice of sending a corps to a named city (within rail range to make it possible to do) which is then earmarked to be shipped east and disappear, to avoid a collapse point. Ie if he doesn't do this there is a collapse point loss.
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

@trulster: interesting find, again something i was not aware of. Good idea to let russians have a choice to either remove an army corps from an important part of the eastern front to prevent the collapse point or jsut accept the uprising to happen. Trigger could work like the italy demands trento event when austria removes 1 unit out of trento to cede it, just the other way around. The russians could be forced to move an army corps into a very eastern city that has no homeguard within 3 turns instead or something like that. If it arrives on time, the uprising is crushed. Good idea.

I am also happy to write some conditions, texts and effects for all the events.
Ill start with the following to prevent them being worked over twice just in case someone else wants to write some as well:

- Field Post Office
- Spanish War council
- Paperwar

i can also write the other event descriptions later if then still required.
trulster

Post by trulster »

Semirechye Revolt

Russia needs soldiers! Emperor Nicholas II adopts wide conscription in Central Asia. Consequently, Turkestan rises up in revolt against Tsarist policies as local leaders call for a holy war. To suppress the revolt, send one Russian corps to within one hex of Voronhez for railing east, failure to do so will result in the loss of a collapse point and 5% manpower.

<tsar must not have abdicated and Brusilov offensive must have taken place>, <1916-17>
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Semirechye Revolt

Russia needs soldiers! Emperor Nicholas II adopts wide conscription in Central Asia. Consequently, Turkestan rises up in revolt against Tsarist policies as local leaders call for a holy war. To suppress the revolt, send one Russian corps to within one hex of Voronhez for railing east, failure to do so will result in the loss of a collapse point and 5% manpower.

<tsar must not have abdicated and Brusilov offensive must have taken place>, <1916-17>
Perfect! :D

@unwichtig: yes, please do so!
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The russians could be forced to move an army corps into a very eastern city that has no homeguard within 3 turns instead or something like that. If it arrives on time, the uprising is crushed.
There's a problem with that though: the game does not differentiate between moving into a hex and deploying into a hex, so Russia could just deploy a completed army corps currently in the production queue to the target city to fulfill the duty. But that's only a minor issue I guess.

I'd propose Astrakhan as target city by the way.
trulster

Post by trulster »

Robotron wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 pm
The russians could be forced to move an army corps into a very eastern city that has no homeguard within 3 turns instead or something like that. If it arrives on time, the uprising is crushed.
There's a problem with that though: the game does not differentiate between moving into a hex and deploying into a hex, so Russia could just deploy a completed army corps currently in the production queue to the target city to fulfill the duty. But that's only a minor issue I guess.

I'd propose Astrakhan as target city by the way.
Yes, Astrakhan would make sense, but not if you give Russia only 1 turn to act, as it could be impossible to rail an army corps there with the front too far away. And if you give them three turns (which I guess can be programmed), then it falls on PBEM players to actually remember that this event is happening. Can be confusing.
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Paperwar / Suggestion:

Sharpen the pencil! Print the paper! Spread the news! The world must know…We are right and we shall fight! The battle for information superiority in Spain reaches unexpected attention with both fractions influencing public opinion more and more aggressively. ´Neutrals´ just have not been convinced yet …Spain must support…us! Invest 15 influence on Spain first to get an additional 30 influence in Spain for free. :idea:

Condition: Turn 3 / Germany and France must have joined the war
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Optional: If no country has invested 15 influence-points by turn 10: the “Spanish paperwar remains undecided with neither CP nor Entente being able to increase public support for their mission.”

If Spain is ´convinced´ by CP: “Spanish public opinion shifting more and more to a proactive stance joining the war to support CP”

I think Germany should only be allowed to use subs in Spanish ports if they win this check. This will make it a very interesting race who influences Spain quicker and eventually lead to hard decisions to discard other powerful events especially in the early game instead as there won´t be enough DPs in early game to achieve it all.

If Entente wins this check, it would feel strange if public supports entente and Germany still uses Spanish ports for their subs, I think.
So there would be a nice reward if Spain is influenced by CP and a good reason for entente to do so as well in order to prevent this from happening)

:?: Or would you prefer to completely separate the sub-event from the paperwar? Hmm I don’t know. I don’t want to overcomplicate it. Maybe just the first part is enough after all. Just the influence part as described in the text. And once spain joins either side, their subs can use spanish ports anyway!? Thoughts!?

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”