Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Potzblitz V12.2c JUN28th 2021

Post by Robotron »

I'll rephrase that: mid- to late-game artillery is too strong.

My assessment comes from a late CP victory in 1918 from a "modified Schlieffen" game where I chose to attack both France and Russia at the same time.

I don't know what your strategy for winning in 1916 is, but I'm guessing it's finishing off France first using reloads until everything is perfect and then killing Russia. 8)
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:09 pm I don't know what your strategy for winning in 1916 is, but I'm guessing it's finishing off France first using reloads until everything is perfect and then killing Russia. 8)
no reloads

but france first with heavy power, later with relieved west units finishing russia (as in game of wolf001, russia is no more danger once ottomans are in war)

+some navy and ottomans diversions vs britain and grinding serbia

i dont know what u changed, but it doesnt really matter if france is out of war quickly or later

sometimes france hold without paris and verdun longer than with (at least one of) them

same with other entente, sometimes they all fell like by magic in few months (than it can be finished in very early 1916), sometimes even without france from early 1915 it takes long and intensive grind until breaking russia/brittain
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

I do not have a save game available for when Russia and the Ottoman's both went to war my apologies. I do have a save game made two turns after Russia entered the war that i have attached hopefully it will be of some use.
Attachments
East Prussia .zip
(154.98 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Unfortunately it's not helping to find out what happened several turns before, because now Russia attacks properly all along the front.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

I found out I had another save prior to the Russian entry into the war that I made last week. I've attempted to replicate every move and event that was played and haven't been successful as of yet. What I think happened is Kuwait switched sides the turn before Russia entered the war (I haven't gotten that event to play again yet) and it pushed the Ottomans to declare war and I imagine the A.I factored that in hence why it didn't want to attack East Prussia since the Caucuses would be open to invasion.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

What I think happened is Kuwait switched sides the turn before Russia entered the war (I haven't gotten that event to play again yet) and it pushed the Ottomans to declare war
No, the "Kuwait Revolt" alone can't bring neutral Turkey into the war in 1914.

The Turkish war entry was likely caused either randomly by a very pro-CP turkish starting alignment (Turkey starts each game with a slightly randomized alignment) or by sending the Goeben BC to Turkey maybe followed by the "Shelling of Sevastopol" event.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:09 am The Turkish war entry was likely caused either randomly by a very pro-CP turkish starting alignment (Turkey starts each game with a slightly randomized alignment)
britain too? it happened to me, that britain entered war in 2nd turn (before germany&france)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Yes, Britain starts with an alignment of between 95 to 99 (100 = joins Entente).
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (170.21 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

This will be shown reversed as between 5 to 1 on the CP diplo screen ("resentful"), because pro-Entente means contra-CP.

If Belgium gives right of passage to Germany then British alignment is raised by 3 more, which may result in instant DOW.

If Belgium is attacked regularly then Britain will DOW on turn 3 if the British Guarantee to Belgium was given. Else on turn 4.
nehi

Post by nehi »

wardecisivelostofgumbinen.jpg
wardecisivelostofgumbinen.jpg (619.18 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
ok, thanks for all-embracing response

meanwhile i made two more schlieffen historical runs and as i said, it looks like it doesnt matter how quick are germans in france anymore

paris captured in 8th turn, still i had to conquer almost whole continental france until surrender (+serbia was out of war allready)
(average.rar)

2nd run, much worse opening, stalemate in the west, bulgaria neutral, serbia still up, but ended at same point as 1st one (34th turn)
(average2.rar)

no reloads, logs included

i played once ruprecht too, i dont get, why is gumbinen such important for whole war, thats still kicking germany out war?

such (weird) event should have morale drop cap (dont kill germany by single event)

it was quite similar as i reported it last time, but this time germany lost like nothing except gumbinen, i managed to form defense vs russian surprise attack, i was picking events every round, but hindenburg nowhere and when winter came, there is no chance to do it without him (maybe with him too) and morale continuously dropping

situation on screenshot

i have to admit, i still dont understand it

isnt its effect somehow boosted by russian surprise attack? i experienced it just twice in latest versions of potzblitz, both after russian surprise attack, in other games my defense doesnt differ much (from this screenshot), but there is not such gumbigeddon

especially in comparison with paris captured in 8th turn, which has like no effect, gumbinen is like tsar bomba

+one bug: POTZBLITZ MOD V12.2C
game/game_events.lua:8264(global Misharvest) game/game_events.lua:8264: attempt to concatenate field 'luaData' (a table value)
Attachments
average2.rar
(214.19 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
average.rar
(212.2 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
kassissi
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by kassissi »

First of all, thank you so much for all your amazing work on this mod. I've waited pretty much my entire life for a game like what you've built from CTGW, so thank you. I really look forward to the evolution of the mod.

I just downloaded and installed the newest version of Potzblitz on a clean CTGW install. Just wanted to report that I attempted to start a campaign as the Entente with the CP warplan as Rupprecht and the Russian Civil War on. The game played normally until Germany joined the war. Germany's first move is always to assault Sargans , Switzerland with an Infantry Corps and this causes an immediate freeze / crash to desktop (it usually flashes a "-5" to represent Swiss losses and then the game freezes at exactly that moment). I tried starting this campaign three times and the same exact thing happened each time. Please see attached files. Thanks!
ctgw.rar
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
AutoSaveEndTurn.rar
(89.22 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@kassissi: found the bug, will upload later. And thanks for the compliments. :D

@nehi: don't edit your posts with new questions etc, because the forum won't display it as new post and I won't notice it when I routinely check the forum.

The loss of Gumbinnen has nothing to do with the German morale drain, it is caused by having lost hexes to Russia. See manual, page 11:
II. German Panic:
Germany loses 1 point of morale per turn for every Russian unit on German hexes until either
“Victory at Tannenberg” event has happened or German General Von Prittwitz evacuates East Prussia.
The CP player can reduce the morale loss by occupying Russian hexes with German or Austrian units.

To trigger the Tannenberg event Germany must either destroy 1 Russian Army Corps or 2 Reserve Corps or 2 Cavalry Corps or 1 Reserve Corps and 1 Cavalry Corps. The AI player only has to kill 1 unit, whatever the kind.

To evacuate East Prussia Von Prittwitz's corps must be moved to a hex with an X-coordinate of 110 or less.
You could just have retreated Prittwitz as explained above to spare you all the hassle.

Regarding your concerns I'll add a limit on how much morale can be lost, especially after Paris was captured.

And thanks for reporting the bug.
kassissi

Post by kassissi »

@Robotron - Thanks, looking forward to it!
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V12.3 JUL11th 2021

Post by Robotron »

Here is V12.3, the full mod:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H1rvXw ... dkS9i/view

As always: don't update any campaign in progress!
Either finish the campaign you're playing before updating or update and then start a new one.

Changes:

- fixed reported bugs
- Austrian units in Galicia will now properly stay in place until Russia declares war after "Austrian Defense Planning" was played.
- removed anti-sub techs for capital ships
- removed combat malus for subs attacking light cruisers
- raised manpower cost for reserve corps by 5
- raised manpower cost for army corps by 5
- low manpower will not trigger the "Army exhausted" events, instead it will be triggered by suffering at least 50% casualties
- fixed German food crisis not triggering anymore
- german air aces Richthofen and Udet appear a bit later
- fixed Field Post events not triggering properly
- Norwegian convoy event will appear later
- added minimum limit for german morale loss for russians in east prussia
- fixed a bug where AI tried to attach a german naval commander to a fleet

Cheers!
Last edited by Robotron on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:53 am German General Von Prittwitz evacuates East Prussia.
You could just have retreated Prittwitz as explained above to spare you all the hassle.
Regarding your concerns I'll add a limit on how much morale can be lost, especially after Paris was captured.
so holding front is worse than leaving front... bit schizophrenic, while empty hexes can drain morale to zero and prittwitz army is only one unit which can survive if not digged or in fortress

i wasnt sure if its not bug, because germans can remove prittwitz this way before russians join the war
(in one of the last two schlieffen games prittwitz remained until end of war, in another one i removed him this way accidentaly before war)

but one question remains, why hindenburg event wasnt in the pool? what are odds of that he wont be there for 10 consecutive turns?

i experienced this just during russian surprising attack, usually hindenburg shows up in like first 5 turns once russia is in war

capturing paris before winter is nothing player can count on, germany surrendered during winter, especially during ruprecht plan which is now toughest of all by large margin
Last edited by nehi on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

As I wrote above, I added in a limit for the morale drain.

Alternatively you could, of course, change your tactic and play aggressive on the eastern front for a change.

"Bring Hindenburg" is not available in the Rupprecht campaign by the way.

I re-uploaded V12.3, it now prevents the Prittwitz evacuation event before Russia declares war.
Last edited by Robotron on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:10 pm Alternatively you could, of course, change your tactic and play aggressive on the eastern front for a change.
for aggresive play in the east is there drang nach osten

not ruprecht, where russians did surprise attack and smashed german unprepared units + "Bring Hindenburg" is not available in the Rupprecht campaign by the way.

playing aggresive in the east in other scenarios = collapse points for sure

but ruprecht in 11.x is doomed anyway, no chance to reach its goals, especially if italy goes entente

btw. shouldnt ceded territories stop that? i experienced if austria fulfilled itialian demands, but few turns later italy joined entente anyway
Last edited by nehi on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I routinely play Schlieffen and modified Schlieffen with being aggressive in the East. Of course I never take Paris in 1914 but that's fine with me because I take Warsaw instead.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:16 pm I routinely play Schlieffen and modified Schlieffen with being aggressive in the East. Of course I never take Paris in 1914 but that's fine with me because I take Warsaw instead.
disobeyed orders, that should be punished, to be consistent :lol:
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

No, of course I attack also into France. I fight on both fronts because I like the challenge.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:26 pm No, of course I attack also into France. I fight on both fronts because I like the challenge.
then ruprecht is quite challenging, both games (except mentioned garmany surrender in 1914) ended much later than other scenarios

france is somehow strengthened, more armies as used to be there and through rough terrain

in general, larger front = easier to beat ai there, as it can be outmaneuvered there

now came one thing to my mind, army placed in paris is holding it until death, even if there is fresh one nearby, its better than facing fighter, but if there could be rule, change position with close fresh army, it should be more challenging

something like, if there is close army and its effectiveness is better by margin of 5/10, switch them (or some combination of manpower and effectiveness)

in short, significantly better army protect paris

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”