Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Potzblitz V12.5b OCT26 2021

Post by uzbek2012 »

Robotron wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:39 am I'll add that incident as a late-game Italian event in the next update. It will cause 5 points of damage to an Austrian BB or B in port.
ОК good !

Tell me is it possible to implement a trap ship ?
The story of the trap ships will be considered incomplete if we do not mention the famous steamer "HMS Baralong". This vessel is known not only for destroying the submarines U-27 and U-41, but also for the fact that a rather loud scandal was connected with it.
http://korabley.net/news/suda_lovushki/2011-06-13-854

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Yes, Q-Ships were already added a few months ago.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

(..)
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

Started playing the modified Schlieffen Plan as the Entente today. If the A.I plays the Violations of Neutrality seems like it guarantees the Germans overrunning France. The only counters I've found is the surprise Russian attack or redeploying forces from the Franco-German border.

Were you going to add Arthur Currie to the Canadian Corps event in the next update?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Read this thread, it should still be of help even if Lille was added and Reims was moved 1 hex further south since when I posted this guide:
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=100614

Build as many French/British Reserve Corps as possible to sacrifice them to exhaust the attackers and slow them down.
Trade bodies for space by even blocking retreat possibilities for your own troops if need be.

Try to attack with army corps on low-odds battles once Joffre is unlocked to trigger the "Attaque a outrance" when the least possible number of your units is in contact with the enemy.
Do this on your own turn so you can repair any units that take damage from "Attaque a outrance". Nothing worse than having "Attaque" happen on CP turn.

Currie is not planned: he was only a brigade commander early in the war so he cannot command the Canadian corps when it appears.
Later in the game when he would command a whole corps more than enough British commanders are available.
https://www.warmuseum.ca/firstworldwar/ ... ur-currie/
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

I figured out my strategy before seeing that you replied and did what you advised. Ended up trapping four German army corps at the cost of losing Ypres and stopping the German advance. Once the "Attaque a outrance" event happened I was then able to unlock Marne Taxies and Gallieni.

Finished up my campaign with Germany surrendering on turn forty four. The A.I was oddly aggressive at sea with convoy sinking's and navel combat this campaign which was a nice change. Of course this led to the U.S declaring war early. The A.I played the Ottoman's very aggressively and nearly broke the Mesopotamian at one point till I played the von der Goltz event and the Ottoman's crumbled. For the first time I held on to most of the eastern front only losing Radom. Once I unlocked Brusilov I overran most of East Prussia shattering German moral.

My observations/questions

Italy joined the Central Powers which was annoying however the A.I didn't seem to care about the border with France only sending an army corps and an airplane over. Was that due to me only having reserve corps on the French side and thus the A.I didn't feel the need to react? The same thing happened with the Gallipoli landings the A.I didn't react till I started moving units towards Constantinople.

The A.I sent a lot of forces in the dune hexes between Jerusalem and Abadan more or less wasting troops would making the dune hexes impassable be a good idea? It sent so many troops to the Mesopotamian front and left the Sinai front undefended apart from an army corps.

Because the A.I has its limits should the "Offensive in the East" event happen without it being unlocked? The Russian front was never in any danger of collapsing and I just waited for the supply crisis event to finish before resuming my offensive.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Concerning strange AI troop movement: I'm of course well aware of this but can't do anything about it because only the original programmer could guess where the source of the problem lies and how to fix it. I tried blocking dunes hexes before but the AI would just pile up troops anyway along the blocked hexes in a futile attempt to get to its destination. There just is no reliable feature provided for modders to have the AI move into specific directions or defend key areas like a human player would. All the original designers had in mind for modders was to change unit stats and add events/commanders.

Regarding "Offensive in the East": what makes you think the event was not unlocked?
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Sorry for the delayed reply.

In regards to the "Offensive in the East" it didn't seem like the A.I played it as I never lost any ground and even gained some. In the previous Schlieffen Plans played as the Entente Russia got torn apart. Then again the simplest explanation may be I was playing with my normal cautiousness like I do with the Central Powers and my defense was sound.

If the "Breakthrough Against all Odds" event is it just random roll that a battlecruiser will show up along with the armored cruiser? I
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Wolf001 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:01 am If the "Breakthrough Against all Odds" event is it just random roll that a battlecruiser will show up along with the armored cruiser? I
It's the consequence of sending Goeben to the Pacific and NOT ceding Tsingtao.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

20 general tips for playing the game, as displayed during loading a scenario but a bit more in depth:

1. Make it a habit to play diplomatic events at the START of your turn or you might miss potential beneficial effects from an event, for example a resource or combat bonus.

2. National morale is heavily affected by army size and a good ratio between enemies killed and own casualties suffered.

3. Maximum number of Fighter planes, Zeppelins, Bombers, Tanks and Armored Trains is limited by researched technologies for respective unit type.

4. Cavalry units deal additional damage when forcing their opponent to retreat.

5. Each year 17% chance for early winter in November or prolonged winter in March. Winter reduces attacker strength and raises efficiency loss from moving and fighting.

6. Units in hexes south of Y-coordinate 52 or more are safe from winter effects.

7. Units moving or fighting in desert or dunes terrain suffer efficiency loss from heat.

8. Never attack with units that are affected by muddy weather special events.

9. Repairing leaderless units in swamp, deserts or rough terrain consumes +25% PP.
Repairing leaderless units in dunes or mountains hexes consumes +50% PP.

10. Disbanding a unit outside of its home territory returns less resources.
Disbanding a unit on territory originally belonging to the enemy returns NO resources.

11. Disbanding naval units incurs a national morale penalty.

12. Naval commanders can only be assigned to or removed from units when in port.

13. Never attack any ship when it is in a home port, as you will suffer heavy losses.

14. Dreadnoughts, Battlecruisers and Pre-Dreadnoughts must use up 1 point of ammunition when attacking in sea-to-sea combat or will suffer combat penalties.

15. Naval units entering a hex with a HIDDEN submarine might suffer from an ambush attack, taking damage.

16. Friendly naval units within LOS of Light Cruisers, Zeppelins or Fighters will run a lesser risk to run into sea mines.

17. Cities and fortresses manned by units might return fire when bombarded by ships.

18. Fighters can intercept enemy air attacks against friendly ground units and strategic attacks against cities.

19. Air Aces can be wounded during ANY attack on enemy air units or during interceptions, not only when their units is destroyed. The chance is raised if enemy air aces are involved.

20. Building more than 15 ammunition factories runs a risk of 1% per turn for every factory above 15 for a catastrophic ammunition factory explosion event.
Unwichtig
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Unwichtig »

A very nice overview. I am still following the forum.
Sadly I don't have much time left to play at the moment.
I moved from UK to Germany during a pandemic and changed work. Time consuming.

Anyway... Here are an additional 10 general tips from my experience. Worth a discussion but I am pretty confident they steer new players into the right direction. Nothing new. Just a summary.

21. Plan your Naval Operations carefully! Ships and submarines will run out of supply eventually when at sea. Once a unit is labeled 'yellow', the next port visit should be less than 2 turns away.
Never attack with 'fiery red' forces.

22. Every amphibious assault is doomed to fail if not supported by major naval units stationed in adjacent areas. No ships, no supply.
Every amphib ops should aim to conquer a city as soon as possible.

23. Powerfull attacks require long preparations. Plan ahead. Use winterseasons to reposition, research and upgrade. Then strike hard during spring and summer season. Know your target, prioritize and focus on it. An 'all front offensive' is hardly sustainable...

24. Trains mainly serve two purposes: Flexible, dynamic mobile defense units to rapidly fill the gaps preventing your enemy from capturing key territories or deeply 'stream-rushing' into enemy key cities whilst outflanking your enemy. Don't waste them in the trenches!

25. Your entire diplomatic campaign should back up your own forces movements and intentions. Diplomacy and military must work hand in hand. Most events support different military strategies. If planned 'in line' with each other, the combined effects can make the difference.

26. Air superiority can be a game changer in the endgame. Vulnerable artillery and railroad guns won't last long without any protection. And a single defending fighter plane is an easy target...
Airpower must be either balanced (on any level) or in your favour otherwise your 'endcampaign' is likely doomed.

27. No fortress should be given up without a fight. Under no circumstances. Fortifications delay opposing forces and buy you the time required to prepare a counterattack. Or until winter comes.

28. Early investment in ammo facturies pays off massively in the endgame. 15 factories in turn 10 get you 50x15=750 ammo until the end of the war. 15 factories in turn 30 only have time to produce 450 ammo until turn 60. But the investmemt was the same...

29. Mountains...Don't ignore them! Study the map and identify choke points, easy defendable positions, etc. A war can't be won without taking the geography into account.

30. Both sides should aim to get either Italy or romania on their side. As soon as possible. At least one of them. If one power gets them both... You will have a hard life.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Thanks Unwichtig for adding a bunch of quite important considerations.
I think you are particularly right about the need for ammo factories getting built early, so I rewrote the "Stockpile Ammunition" event to add 30 ammo but instead of speeding up the unlocking of the next artillery tech as before instead add +2 ammo factories.

Also your remark about amphibious landings needing to get hold of a source of supply is quite valid: at least a town, preferably a capital if any unit is going to need to go away from the actual landing zone is of utmost importance, making coastal "constructions" (which is the name given to towns, fortresses and capitals within the scripts ) vital.

Resting/repositioning in winter surely is also a good piece of advice unless you are able to deal a really important blow to your enemy: nothing less than being sure to destroy an enemy army corps or taking a capital/fortress should warrant an attack during winter.

About getting Italy and Romania to join CP - a word of advice: you might sway either one of them, but don't count on both unless you are really stomping the Entente. Both granting Trento (or even Trieste) to Italy and at the same time Transylvania to Romania might well ruin Austrian morale.
LepetitKipetchi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by LepetitKipetchi »

Hi everybody,

Like Unwichtig, I changed my job few months ago so I don't have so much time to play but I continue to follow you and I am still enjoying all your new ideas !
Will tell you if I have new ideas or advises as soon as I can.
It is amazing that more than four years after you created this mod, we continue to find new ideas to improve it and you are able to make them happening ! That shows how your job is great Robotron so please keep your faith to continue in this project please :)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Don't worry guys, as long as I get some feedback once in a while I'll carry on.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Sorry for my absence I've been really ill for the last three weeks.

Started a new campaign modified Schlieffen Plan playing as the Entente. I'm a little confused why Italy suddenly joined the Central Powers on turn fifteen? I overran the Austrian border capturing Przemysl in the process. Kept the Serbian capital, captured Basra and the Central Powers were the first to use gas, the D'Annunzio event was played on turn thirteen and the new year started with Entente Confident event. In previous games playing as the Central Powers I've usually had Italy join the Entente when the Entente is worse off then I am currently.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Again an AutosaveEndTurn would have been helpful to find out what might have caused that shift in alignment and how big it was.

Then again, the "turns to join" below any nation's flag on the diplomacy tab is only displayed as early as the nation has already shifted about 93% towards either alliance.
So in your case Italy could have already been leaning heavily toward CP all the time without you having noticed it and even a modest alignment shift was enough for an instant DOW.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

I went back to an earlier an earlier five turns before Italy joined the Central powers. I no longer have the save game from turn fourteen before Italy joined. I figured out what happened that I did not state in my last post. Belgium surrendered and the British warning to Germany was played at the start of the game causing moral loss and a collapse point. The Russian invasion was focused on the Austrians so German moral didn't take a hit from Russian units on the hexes. Which also led to the Russian invasion being repelled early and the Russian general being sacked (I can't recall his name at the moment). That was enough to push Italy to joining the Central Powers. That was my mistake and now I know for next time.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The Russian Invasion Repelled event (no more Russians on German hexes) can be critical if Italian alignment stays close to joining CP early on.
Especially if Italy proclaims neutrality was not played early because the Entente player thinks there is more important stuff to play right now and it would surely show up again later.
But there is a risk that said event just won't show up again for the Entente player once enough new events are fed into the Entente event pool.
This is why the Russians should pile as many units as possible onto German hexes. It also works as a soft reminder for the player to go the historical way. ;)
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V14.0 DEC5th 2021

Post by Robotron »

I've just uploaded the brand new update V14

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZJdSPO ... wyzy9/view

Besides the usual plethora of bugfixes and tweaking here are some of the new changes(forgot to make a proper list so this is from memory but there is plenty more):

- raised submarine cost from 15 to 20 but to compensate also raised German submarine unit build limit from 2 to 3 times the number of researched submarine techs
- all other "modern" units (tanks, armored trains, fighters, bombers, zeppelins) build limit increased by +1
- raised artillery cost from 30 to 40
- new Russian fortress port of Libau in Latvia
- news events: Italian Speedboat Raid, Churchill goes to the Trenches, Italo-Austrian Border Tension
- Q-Ships are now a bit more scary for CP
- reduced attack bonus from researching "additional torpedo tubes" by 1, added that attack +1 bonus to the following "submarine cruisers" tech
- fixed a bug that may have lowered British Supply level twice when CP capture the Suez canal
- same for when CP capture Abadan or India revolts
- modified the "For the fatherland" event which was using up 1D6 German manpower per attack for +50% experience before, making it quite wasteful: reduced that to 0-2 manpower per attack for +20% experience
- "Bloodbath at Langemarck" now works as designed, was prevented from triggering correctly because of some internal value getting messed up
- reduced combat stats for German commander Herman von Francois a bit
- fixed a bug concerning British naval raids on German-occupied Franco-Belgian port cities
- fixed too early trigger for British AI's "British Pal's Battalions" event
- "Stockpile ammunition" event no longer unlocks next artillery tech, instead 2 ammo factories are added
- new generals: Charles Mangin (France), Otto von Below (Germany)
- major update of the PDF manual

So, if you are ready to give that mod a new whirl, make sure you use THIS version.
Enjoy!
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V14.0 DEC5th 2021

Post by Robotron »

To everyone a merry christmas and happy holidays, have a good time!
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (91.63 KiB) Viewed 1735 times

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”