Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Potzblitz V12.2b JUN17th 2021

Post by Wolf001 »

Completed Attack on Russia with a strategic victory on turn sixty two.

I only have two observations.

The Irish Rebellion event I'd suggest not having an army corps spawn in Dublin perhaps a home guard near Belfast? The A.I removed what I assume was a reserve corps from Belfast allowing me to take the city without a fight and afterwards the A.I had not interest in Ireland for what was left of the game. Maybe place a home guard there as well and then you'll actually have to risk using navy force if you want the port.

Keeping Turkey from getting knocked out of the war was a headache. The A.I deployed a massive amount of units and crossed the desert without any problem. I'm wondering if units need to take a bigger loose when crossing deserts and dunes? I ended up facing a lot of fresh Russian, British, Italian and Persian forces.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

I'll modifiy the Irish Uprising event like you said.
Concerning the Entente units crossing the desert (italian units too? never saw that) without problems: if the "Desert Pipelines" event was played then the efficiency loss from moving into desert and dune hexes is removed.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by uzbek2012 »

Against the Turks who cross the desert it is necessary to introduce Lawrence of Arabia with his partisan detachments )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._E._Lawrence
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

uzbek2012 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:38 pm Against the Turks who cross the desert it is necessary to introduce Lawrence of Arabia with his partisan detachments )
He's in the game since the last official update version 1.6.6 from 2015.

In my mod he can be activated via a special event which is available as soon as Turkey has suffered 5 collapse points.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

Hi, Robotron.

Currently playing a 2nd round game with 12.1e, multiplayer. First game had some issues but we prefer to play again and test twice just to be sure before a full report even if it is an old patch.

Here is something weird: 1st turn. Serbia has 9 ammo and an arty of 8 strenght points. I'm unable to fire because not enough ammo.

Sorry for the horrible image. I can't make screenshots as sometimes the game crashes and the server feels I'm cheating. Had a couple gently reminders...
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

hnox wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:11 pm Here is something weird: 1st turn. Serbia has 9 ammo and an arty of 8 strenght points. I'm unable to fire because not enough ammo.
thats same behaviour as in vanilla game

for example, u can shoot two artilleries (10/10 + 8/10) while u have 18 ammo, but u have to shoot first 8/10 and 10/10 later

in inverse order its impossible, u need at least 10 ammo to shoot any single arty, even if it consumes less
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@hnox: nehi is right about this. This annoying issue is as old as the game itself and I've never been able to find what's causing this.
The displayed values are correct just as the stored values of the variables for unit strength and ammunition (so not caused by rounding up or down), but still this is happening.
Quite frankly I'm just baffled by this. :|

Another thing: please consider abandoning your turn 1 match with V12.1e which is already a month old because you'll only run into the same issues like those that were already reported by user Wolf001 which got fixed in the current version 12.2b.
https://easyupload.io/cm37or

You'll save yourselves and me a lot of unnecessary headaches. And warnings from the server! 8)
Unwichtig
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Unwichtig »

Back again, sadly only with little time but still...better than nothing.
Starting MP game now against my favorite opponent Damient. I will frequently report back suspicious incidents. I ll play CP and focus on the subs again.

Anyway... COMMANDER IS ON SALE ON STEAM!
-51% which is amazingly cheap. A must buy from my perspective.
Please share this. It will probably make more players buy this game. We need to keep the community going.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3123 ... Great_War/
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

Unwichtig wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:54 am Back again, sadly only with little time but still...better than nothing.
Starting MP game now against my favorite opponent Damient. I will frequently report back suspicious incidents. I ll play CP and focus on the subs again.

Anyway... COMMANDER IS ON SALE ON STEAM!
-51% which is amazingly cheap. A must buy from my perspective.
Please share this. It will probably make more players buy this game. We need to keep the community going.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3123 ... Great_War/
Yes, this is all right, but the developers themselves need to release a patch that will create an opportunity to make the modding of this game easier !
As I understand the technical nuances, our only modmaker can no longer fix them ....
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

There won't be any new official patches for Commander the Great War (CTGW) because the original programmer has abandoned the project years ago and nobody else at Slitherine's staff has enough knowledge about the game to fix the most annoying issues. This would need someone who can decrypt the main ctgw.exe file and unlock the map file so it can be modified.
Neither can be done by simple modding.

There also won't be a sequel to CTGW because "Strategic command World War One" (SCWW1) is the current WW1 game from Slitherine/Matrix that's still actively supported and since it's only two years old I doubt there will be another new WW1 game for quite some time.
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

Robotron wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:28 pm There won't be any new official patches for Commander the Great War (CTGW) because the original programmer has abandoned the project years ago and nobody else at Slitherine's staff has enough knowledge about the game to fix the most annoying issues. This would need someone who can decrypt the main ctgw.exe file and unlock the map file so it can be modified.
Neither can be done by simple modding.

There also won't be a sequel to CTGW because "Strategic command World War One" (SCWW1) is the current WW1 game from Slitherine/Matrix that's still actively supported and since it's only two years old I doubt there will be another new WW1 game for quite some time.

Sadly, as I understand it, units and other resources are not interchangeable, and they do not fit each other ?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096 ... rld_War_I/
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Theoretically they could be used but it would require a crazy amount of work and I don't see a problem with the unit graphics in CTGW.
Kossatx

Post by Kossatx »

Hi Robotron, playing your official last version mod I've lost a german fighter unit in west front in turn 6, and I can't rebuild it in turn 7 because of thech limit. So, I must continue with only one fighter in Prusia. Is this a bug?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

No, working as designed.

Germany just starts with two fighters despite the build limit of 1 at the start of the game.
If she loses the extra fighter she cannot rebuild it until fighter tech level2 ("synchronized guns") got researched.

Now that you mention it, in the next update I might remove the one in the west because that area is already covered by the zeppelins.
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V12.2c JUN28th 2021

Post by Robotron »

V12.2c features more critical bugfixes, one of them being a high probability crash in 1915 caused by a incorrectly named variable.

Please update at once.

This update should be safe to apply on matches in progress.

https://easyupload.io/wfeapb
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Robotron wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:27 am Concerning the Entente units crossing the desert (italian units too? never saw that) without problems: if the "Desert Pipelines" event was played then the efficiency loss from moving into desert and dune hexes is removed.
Went back to a previous save of that game and it wasn't Italian units it was Persian my mistake. The A.I also played the "Desert Pipelines".

Right now I'm replaying the Schlieffen Plan modified as the CP and something strange is going on. The A.I played "Full Russia Mobilization" on the turn Russia enters the war the Ottomans also entered the war. The A.I only attacked Tarnopol and Lemberg not attacking anywhere else and only sent one army corps forward in East Prussia. The next turn I did play the event to spawn the two Ottoman army corps with Enver Pasha however I did not try to attack Sarikamish. I played another three-four turns and the A.I never attempted to to attack East Prussia and just started digging in on its side of the border. Due to that I can't get Hindenburg along with the extra moral and diplomatic points. Once again I didn't try to attack Sarikamish during those turns.

Looking at the log the A.I appears to be reacting to an attack in the Caucasus which I didn't do.
Attachments
Russia.zip
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

A savegame would be helpful.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:04 pm A savegame would be helpful.
i dont think thats strange, more fronts = less power to push (east) one

its problem of the core game, the more possible moves, the less competent ai behaviour
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The AI has a strong tendency to move units to the weakest enemy front, no matter how far away. That's why the AI moves many Entente units from France to Italy or Austrian/Bulgarian units to fight the British in Palestine/Mesopotamia. At least the France -> Italy issue should be solved by now, I just tested yesterday and the front in France held until 1918.

In Wolf001's game the late Russian war entry may have given him time to fortify East Prussia so much that the AI could have decided to not attack but look elsewhere (Caucasus) instead.
But without a savegame I can only guess.

Just to come back to my last test game, here's what I found out and what will be changed/fixed in V12.3

- it was a really BAD idea to give anti-sub techs to capital ships, as a result submarines did not stand any chance because they also got sunk by BBs & BCs
- Austrian units in Galicia were still able to move after "Austrian Defense Plans" was played and before Russia attacked
- CP agricultural crisis fired once, then never again
- I reduced manpower cost for army corps from 25 to 20 about a month ago, as a result the manpower levels were nowhere critical and morale stayed abnormally high
- I will change the "Anthony Fokker" event so that Austrian fighters are also affected
- artillery is still too strong
- air aces appeared a bit too soon
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:06 am - artillery is still too strong
i disagree

maybe for someone looks too strong, but its just because of poor ai

weaker arty, no way for at least a bit dynamic mp games (i dont play mp anymore, but without tactic bombers and arties, there is no chance to penetrate formed human defense lines, men vs trenched men = dead end)

but my games usually ends during 1916, so i cant judge, how strong is end game arty

so early-mid game arty is not too strong

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”