Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Potzblitz V12.1h MAY28TH 2021

Post by uzbek2012 »

trulster wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:37 pm
uzbek2012 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:33 pm
Well truth can still be separated from bravado and excess patriotism ) Although even wikipedia gives out its own truth in every language )))

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%AD%D0 ... 0%B8%D0%B8
Source mentions 3rd Finnish Infantry division. Cannot find any info on this, do you know anything? Always thuoght there was no conscription in Finland and the idea of Finnish volunteers in France is interesting. As is more well known, Jaeger batalliions of Finns were trained in Germany for the Finnish CIvil War,
Well if I meet such information I will post it here )

Expeditionary Force in France
https://smolbattle.ru/threads/%D0%AD%D0 ... %B8.21821/
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Potzblitz V12.1i MAY31st 2021

Post by Robotron »

At the very best those four brigades would amount to two half-strength Reserve Corps in gameplay-terms: one in France and one at the Salonika front. As a choice-event this would be rather underwhelming if you ask me. Any suggestions for making this more interesting? :|
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster »

perhaps a tiny increase in French manpower?
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

Hi there.

Playing multiplayer, this time with CP. I've had Tannenberg on turn 6, just after the Russian attack. Is that normal? Can't remember having it so soon.

I find the Germans quite bold on the attack.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@hnox: can't say anything about it if I don't know any specifics of your match. Seems normal though if you brought army corps from the west and/or played "Recall Hindenburg to active Duty" first.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

That may be, as I sent an army to the East.

After a few days pause, we continue. So far, the subs are now so fragile. Every spotted sub is fastly wiped out. Guess we'll have to wait until research makes them thougher. Anyway, AFAIK that's historical, so no complains here.
Unwichtig
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Unwichtig »

Event: Bomb Oberndorfs Mauserwerke!

Condition: 2 UK and 2 French Zeppelins or Bombers stationed on French soil.

Effect: 3 permanent loss PP of Stuttgart (or any SW German city). 1D6 Morale loss for Germany.

I just liked the idea as there are no entente air related events in the game. Germany has Gott Strafe England and Italy can do a Propaganda Flight over Vienna. I just thought it's nice to have a Zeppelin or Bomber event for France as well as there are no bomber relates things in the game.

And it's not unrealistic.
The Oberndorf raid happened and was executed by a combination of uk and French aircraft. Entente lost approx 20 aircraft (not sure).

The effect was very limited... I know. But I think all historical correct, BIG events are already in the game and it gets harder and harder finding new historical add ons.

France and UK even did have plans to coordinate and combine their bombardments and the Krupp Werke and the Mauser Werke were always top of the priority target list.
Gives entente some motivation to build zepps and bombers.
It would require some entente investment in 4 zeppelins and they all need to be in France so it's not easy to unlock and it would lead to a reconnaissance gap elsewhere I. E the waters around uk etc.

Why Station in France? Because neutral Holland was in the way for UK based zeppins and they did not want to violate Dutch airspace. That was also a consideration.

Nice articles about this can easily be found in both german and English.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/2016/10/1 ... rican-ace/

By the way I still have not played mod12 yet.
I am very busy now and hardly have any time left.
I keep reading articles about ww1 but I don't have time to play right now. Will come back.

Will play as soon as possible.
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Entente Event: LePrieur Air to Air Rockets

Condition: 1915

Effect: Next fighter attack on Zeppelin causes devastating damage. (or even instantly kills a Zeppelin)

Single use only.

Equal events Already exist I. E. Max Hoffmann or the direct hit event for battleships that almost kills an enemy ship. Can't remember what the name of the event was.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le-Prieur-Rakete
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Unwichtig: I salute your efforts to think up more events but to be honest, I don't think new events are what this mod needs right now to get better.

Already the mod features 682 events, from which 226 are selectable by players. Any more will only more contribute to bloating and diluting the event pool unless they are somewhat relevant. Unsurprisingly, most of the recently suggested stuff wasn't. Half a Russian reserve corps in France ("Russian Expeditionary Force") just won't cut it just as a "Mauserwerke Raid" that could just as well be performed by just having bomber units attack a German city. That's just a whole bunch of work for me for a negligible result.

I also share your impression that it's getting harder and harder to find stuff.
Which is perfectly fine, the reason being that almost everything is included that could be relevant in respect to the scope of the game.
But that's natural after so much time (the mod is 5 years old by now).

Right now what is most valuable to me is feedback from players who STILL PLAY this thing, SP or MP, to do game balancing or fixing discovered bugs.

For me the mod is dead if nobody plays it anymore, not if I stop adding stuff. :wink:

I'll upload the all-new V12.2 (just balancing & bugfixes) later today.

8-)
LepetitKipetchi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by LepetitKipetchi »

Hi everybody,

Same as Unwichtig, I am pretty busy these times and I haven't played the new version...will try the 12.2 asap :)
Thanks again and again for your amazing job !
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

Yes to be honest I fully understand and agree.

Sometimes I suggest events but I am not even convinced myself that they are important enough. It was the same with the SMS Kaiserin Elisabeth event. A great story and very exiting. But definately not war decisive during a 60 turn game.

I just can't believe how many 'small things' happened everywhere and how awfully complex this war was. Normal people's world War 1 knowledge ends with Verdun, Tannenberg and Jutland.
To me it seems that 90% are hidden under the surface and had to be redetected which is what I was trying to do during the last year. And I am still checking and reading.

But you are right. The main critical events are covered. Adding more and more events maybe would be even contraproductive as the event pool becomes so big that no one really understands what's going on anymore and what all the effects and conditions are to unlock them.

New events would only make sense it the game had 100 turns or so. To ensure that players have enough dp and turns to play the and benefit from their effect. But for a 60 turn game I think 99.9% of the event pool is full.
Unless someone detects something realy exiting that has not been mentioned yet. But I could not find such a thing anymore even after checking books & links for many days.

+600 events. Wow. The game is a gem and from now on I will focus on balancing things once I play again.

The most critical aspect was the Submarine warfare dimension. I must check this. It seems to be difficult to hit the perfect solution that suits all players and feels 'realistic' as well.

I ll come back on this one.

Thanks for all efforts.
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V12.2 JUN13th 2021

Post by Robotron »

You're welcome.
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trulster

Post by trulster »

Unwichtig wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 pm Y
The most critical aspect was the Submarine warfare dimension. I must check this. It seems to be difficult to hit the perfect solution that suits all players and feels 'realistic' as well.

I ll come back on this one.

Thanks for all efforts.
Modelling sub warfare is notoriously difficult. So many ww1/2 both boardgames and computer games have struggled with this, going from one extreme (too all powerful!) to another (no effect!).
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

(...)
Last edited by Robotron on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

Been playing the Aufsmarsch Ost as the Central Powers trying to take Poland before the winter. Last night I came within one turn of conquering Poland before winter. I'll give it another go later today trying to take Riga instead.

Thanks for all the effort you have put into this game.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Had an event with titled "event_MPBONUS_Title" pop up. It's at the very end of the log I've uploaded.
Attachments
EventMP.zip
(15.39 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V12.2a JUN15th 2021

Post by Robotron »

Fixed.
Last edited by Robotron on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Appreciate the quick fix.

Still been playing the Attack in the East and still haven't managed to take Poland before winter as the CP. Not sure if its by design to give the A.I a chance however Russia seems to be getting extra units from nowhere. It starts out with an extra army corps first turn. When playing as the Entente Russia has ten army corps and when playing as the CP Russia has eleven Army corps total and then it brings in another one by railroad as well. It also had one extra reserve corps. On a previous game I did notice it deploy a reserve corps on its first turn. I played another three turns after Russia entered the war and it had a total of fourteen army corps when I decided to stop. It also seems to be able to use extra railroads as well I think it moved three units around via railroad. When testing out the Entente Austria also had extra railroads this time three.
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V12.2b JUN17th 2021

Post by Robotron »

Looks like the amount of Russian reinforcements in the "Aufmarsch Ost" scenario was set too high. I've reduced it so that now only two additional corps from Siberia will arrive with a delay of about 4 to 5 turns. However the AI may decide to spawn extra units on its own if it feels threatened enough, this is a feature of the basic game.

Another feature which has been in the game all the time since the last official update is the AI's ability to perform unlimited rail moves, apparently to give it more flexibility which is both unrealistic and a stunning example of lazy coding.

As a side effect the AI, when it plays CP, performs a constant and ineffective rotating of units to and from between the fronts whenever it has the chance to do so, disrupting its front lines and also weakening the transported units in the process (moving units via rail lowers efficiency).

This has been discussed many times in the past and all of my attempts to root this out have failed and believe me I've spent weeks finding a way. It seems to be encoded in the game's main ctgw.exe file which can't be modded and I can't do anything about it.
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolf001

Re: Potzblitz V12.2b JUN17th 2021

Post by Wolf001 »

That fixed it! Just doing a quick game it is now possible to take Poland before winter. The reinforcements from Siberia arrive at a good time to blunt the CP attack which happened to me.

Thank you for the explanation for the behavior the A.I. Now I know why the A.I seems to have an unlimited amount of troops and rail networks at its disposal.

The Attack on Russia scenario playing as the Central Powers seems balanced fairly to me at the moment. If you don't play correctly Russia can still easily overrun the Austro-Hungarians and East Prussia. I haven't played as the Entente enough to give an opinion yet.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”