MP opponent for 1914

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

MP opponent for 1914

Post by AEWHistory »

Hi guys, I am looking for some opponents in the 1914 game. I’d like to try both sides but I don’t have much experience as the allies. Unfortunately it seems whenever I try to start a game as the allies the game malfunctions on the opening turn. (ONPP and trul, if you’re reading this I am sorry that I wasn’t able to get in contact but the game wouldn’t work).

As for house rules, there are a few that interest me. Two in particular are making sure Bulgaria enters at the right time (the game places a ridiculously high burden on the CPs) and not removing all the garrisons. I’m open to others as well.

Anyone interested?
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: MP opponent for 1914

Post by Robotron »

Unfortunately it seems whenever I try to start a game as the allies the game malfunctions on the opening turn
:shock:

But that's a major problem and needs to be fixed.

Is that bug happening in the basic game?

I can help you to fix that issue if you are interested. All I need is the game's logfile, called "ctgw.log".

That ctgw.log is located in your Documents folder, so look in "My Documents\My Games\Commander The Great War".

NOTE: This log is overwritten every time you start the game. Please make a copy of the log right after the game crashed BEFORE reloading the game.

Put the ctgw.log into a .zip archive and attach it to your next reply post using the forum's "upload attachment" feature.
You can find the upload button in the bottom left corner of the reply box after you click on "full editor and preview".

Alternatively you can just copy/paste and post the last few lines of the "error" message at the end of the ctgw.log, usually this holds enough information to fix a bug.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AEWHistory »

Hey Robotron, thanks! Yes, you’re right of course. I play on the iPad though, so I am not sure how to get this information. Is there a way by any chance?

EDIT: I’m going to buy the PC version of the game. I am tired of this nonsense. Still, I’d love the option to play on the iPad if possible.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Oh, dang! I forgot you mentioned before you were using the Ipad version.
Silly me. >_<

Well, in that case I can't help you with your trouble. :?
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster »

AEWHistory wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:03 pm Hi guys, I am looking for some opponents in the 1914 game. I’d like to try both sides but I don’t have much experience as the allies. Unfortunately it seems whenever I try to start a game as the allies the game malfunctions on the opening turn. (ONPP and trul, if you’re reading this I am sorry that I wasn’t able to get in contact but the game wouldn’t work).
I believe the case is you are trying to start a "Potzblitz"( ie the mod) game, when you do not in fact have the mod installed but just vanilla CtGW. So yes, get the pc version and install the mod and you will be good to go.
AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AEWHistory »

I wish that was the case, but these are simply scenarios that I start by selecting 1914 and entente. On the iPad there is no way to install POTZblitz and, therefore, no way to start this version intentionally or by mistake. If this were not the case then the same thing would happen when I select the 1914 scenario as the CPs, but I’ve never had this happen as the CPs. See the problem? This is so frustrating....

Sadly this is something that has come up before, years ago, when I first started playing the game. It seems to be some sort of bug and was discussed a bit back then but nothing was ever done about it. I suspect I can join a game as the entente, but I don’t seem to be able to start one. I think perhaps there is some small bug on the iPad install of this game, but I am not sure.

Btw, didn’t we try to start a game? Sorry we didn’t really get going. Here is what happens: I can see the other person does their turn. Their turn seems to end but it never actually transitions to Serbia. Instead I’m left looking at the Austrian dispositions and Serbia goes dark, like I am playing the CPs all of a sudden. However, i can’t just end the turn and forward it to my turn either. So the game is stuck after half a turn.
AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AEWHistory »

Robotron wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:39 pm Oh, dang! I forgot you mentioned before you were using the Ipad version.
Silly me. >_<

Well, in that case I can't help you with your trouble. :?
Yea, but thank you for trying (and ty as well trul). It is such a shame as I really enjoy gaming on the iPad. Good news is I did buy the PC version.... now I just need to pry my laptop away from my son and his playing Empires of the Undergrowth. By any chance do you recall this problem being discussed not long after the game came out?

If anyone is looking for an opponent I can still play the CPs and if you start the game I might be able to play as the Entente. Any takers? I’m rusty so you can kick my rear end.... :D
onpp
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by onpp »

I am ready to try a new challenge with you. I will open a 1914 game as CP so that you can select the allies. Nevermind if it does not work, we would a least have tried !
AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AEWHistory »

Thanks ONPP! I should have my serial number issue straightened out soon, so even if the iPad doesn’t work I should be able to play on my PC. Surely I am not doomed to never get to play the entente?!

Edit: okeedokee, I have accepted, so let’s see how this goes. This will be my first MP game as the entente—an entente virgin?—so I might not be terribly competitive. I will give it my best shot though. No other way to learn, right?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@AEW: good to see you got the issue with the serial fixed. What was the problem anyway?

About playing MP: normally you should be notified via email when it's your next turn to play. However, due to some recent changes to Slitherene's PBEM-system this might not be longer true.
If no notifications are sent to you, like with many other players, then you'll regularly have to start the game and check the multiplayer lobby.
urbanov4
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urbanov4 »

Hi all, if some interested yet in this game, I opened some rooms (all sceanrio with both sides). I like them all, but I found that Kaiserschlacht (I hope I wrote it corretly-but not sure :D) seems broken. I played a multy game with both sides and after some turn central powers won a marginal victory....dunno how, and why, and even if they met the condition, why no chance to play fro total victory? It is broken I think.....but anyway, I have no opponent now, so I hope some of you will reinstall the game :D
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I'm afraid the party is very much over here at CTGW. All the "cool kids" are now playing Strategic Command WW1 which is substantially more advanced but a bit more clunky than CTGW.

If you want to have multiplayer matches I would seriously suggest to get SCWW1. And this advice is coming from a guy who tried for 5 years to make CTGW a better experience.
urbanov4
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urbanov4 »

Thanks for the advice-sincerely, I bought is (also ww2 version), but it cant give me that feeling...just starting with music and units interface :) Also mechanism are bit new to me (but maybe better than in this game). Anyway, I will go to there also but like CTGW better.
Adding to the abows: I played CTGW long ago but in the last some weeks I played some games (found some 4-5 players, that seems a wonder) and discovered some new tactics (to me new at least), so now I dont feel so overpowered the air units...at least I feel better, how to play I think...so would be nice to play till I am bored with it and can go to other games without any frustration :D
Robotron wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:57 pm I'm afraid the party is very much over here at CTGW. All the "cool kids" are now playing Strategic Command WW1 which is substantially more advanced but a bit more clunky than CTGW.

If you want to have multiplayer matches I would seriously suggest to get SCWW1. And this advice is coming from a guy who tried for 5 years to make CTGW a better experience.
Azolanzo
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Azolanzo »

Hi guys. I want to express my gratitude to you for your dedication to this wonderful game. As well as you, I am a fan of this most interesting and unique project for five years already. I played 210+ hours in Steam (I even left a small but capacious review for the game, my nickname is Silverstone there). I am looking for rivals and partners for multiplayer. I will be glad to everyone, ready to play every day. urbanov4 and I have already started some hot games. Join us!

Return to “Commander the Great War : Opponent Finder”