BA2 Western Front Army Lists for Skirmish

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Great_Ajax
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: BA2 Western Front Army Lists for Skirmish

Post by Great_Ajax »

Bump.
kosepote
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kosepote »

tried to make a file to get all of the units from BA1 to BA2... but i can't get it working.
Can some one tell me why i can't get it working.

I want all BA1 units in BA2.
Attachments
Desktop.7z
Squads files
(136.53 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

Im going to go on a limb and say this file isn't compatible for Mac/Ipad? If so...the tears will flow for days lol.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I don't know of anything that isn't compatible between the versions.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
kosepote
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kosepote »

I don't get the Italien units except infantry. alot of amarican units and so on...
Must be something i do wrong or not doing
McJakub
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by McJakub »

So, do these army lists work?
I hope slitherine will make DLC with BA1 forces to BA2.
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

pipfromslitherine wrote:I don't know of anything that isn't compatible between the versions.

Cheers

Pip
How do I go about applying it to Ipad? After all its a zip file...?
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

I would like to know how to get these lists on ipad too
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

This mod changes the main game files, which we don't recommend or support unfortunately. If someone builds a version which is self contained then it can be packaged up the same as any mod and downloaded onto iPad.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Fluffi
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Fluffi »

I know this thread is likely no longer active since 2014, but I'm just going to ask the question of whether or not the Western Front Army Lists are functional. I've seen a lot of people saying they've had problems running the BA1 units in the BA2 engine, so I'm somewhat hesitant to even attempt screwing around with this mod since I don't want to risk having the game implode on itself for any reason. While I have seen (and played) some custom campaigns/mods that have successfully brought the Western Front Armies without causing an issue, I'm assuming this is because the people who made those mods were experienced with doing this kind of stuff. I on the other hand am not experienced with this, so therefor I'm asking if there are any extra steps I must take to get this to work without ruining my game.

Thanks in advance, though I'm not sure if there's anything left to continue on in this thread.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

DatMoff wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 pm I know this thread is likely no longer active since 2014, but I'm just going to ask the question of whether or not the Western Front Army Lists are functional. I've seen a lot of people saying they've had problems running the BA1 units in the BA2 engine, so I'm somewhat hesitant to even attempt screwing around with this mod since I don't want to risk having the game implode on itself for any reason. While I have seen (and played) some custom campaigns/mods that have successfully brought the Western Front Armies without causing an issue, I'm assuming this is because the people who made those mods were experienced with doing this kind of stuff. I on the other hand am not experienced with this, so therefor I'm asking if there are any extra steps I must take to get this to work without ruining my game.

Thanks in advance, though I'm not sure if there's anything left to continue on in this thread.
They do work, but there are some problems, but nothing that will cause the game to implode!

1) The unit points (column L in the Squads.csv file) seem to be worked out differently between the two games. I generally don't worry about this too much, except to change the trucks from 9 points (in BA1) to 40 points (BA2).

2) Movable artillery (like HMGs, mortars, light AT guns etc) have ridiculously long movement rates when transferred to BA2. The solution is to find a similar BA2 unit, and copy it's Squads.csv columns O to Q values into the BA1 units stats line.

3) BA1 units do not use Squads.csv columns DC to DH. So these might have to be filled in.

Column DC is for the number of Smoke Rounds a unit has, so Engineers should have 4, mortars and other smoke capable artillery have 6.

Column DD is for Engineer capabilities, so just put a 1 in for any Engineer units.

Columns DE to DH are only used in the Random Skirmish Generator, so I won't bother to describe them in detail.

4) Movable Light AT guns have firing sounds and graphics when you move them. This is because the models .txt file does not have any movement instructions, you just have to copy and paste the movement animation info from a similar BA2 units .txt file.

I think that just about covers it.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

Paul59 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 pm
DatMoff wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 pm I know this thread is likely no longer active since 2014, but I'm just going to ask the question of whether or not the Western Front Army Lists are functional. I've seen a lot of people saying they've had problems running the BA1 units in the BA2 engine, so I'm somewhat hesitant to even attempt screwing around with this mod since I don't want to risk having the game implode on itself for any reason. While I have seen (and played) some custom campaigns/mods that have successfully brought the Western Front Armies without causing an issue, I'm assuming this is because the people who made those mods were experienced with doing this kind of stuff. I on the other hand am not experienced with this, so therefor I'm asking if there are any extra steps I must take to get this to work without ruining my game.

They do work, but there are some problems, but nothing that will cause the game to implode!

1) The unit points (column L in the Squads.csv file) seem to be worked out differently between the two games. I generally don't worry about this too much, except to change the trucks from 9 points (in BA1) to 40 points (BA2).

2) Movable artillery (like HMGs, mortars, light AT guns etc) have ridiculously long movement rates when transferred to BA2. The solution is to find a similar BA2 unit, and copy it's Squads.csv columns O to Q values into the BA1 units stats line.

3) BA1 units do not use Squads.csv columns DC to DH. So these might have to be filled in.

Column DC is for the number of Smoke Rounds a unit has, so Engineers should have 4, mortars and other smoke capable artillery have 6.

Column DD is for Engineer capabilities, so just put a 1 in for any Engineer units.

Columns DE to DH are only used in the Random Skirmish Generator, so I won't bother to describe them in detail.

4) Movable Light AT guns have firing sounds and graphics when you move them. This is because the models .txt file does not have any movement instructions, you just have to copy and paste the movement animation info from a similar BA2 units .txt file.

I think that just about covers it.
Not meaning to be a bother, but could you take screenshots showing the step-by-step process? I'm a visual learner and throughout most of my life I've found it easier to learn from either a demonstration of a certain process or a step-by-step sequence of images playing out said process. I will understand if you don't exactly feel like doing such, it's just I've always had a habit of overanalyzing things without having a visual to go off of.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

DatMoff wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:06 am
Not meaning to be a bother, but could you take screenshots showing the step-by-step process?..
Whoa, Pauls releasing his two new Skirmish mods soon (West Front American and West Front British), I'm playtesting them right now..:)
In fact here are a couple of screenshots from the Brit mod I played today, I set it to May 1940 (battle of France) and my Hurricane and 4 x A10 tanks (foreground) successfully held off the German blitzkrieg..:)

Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

Can I just say this straight: the BA1 units looks just as good in the gritty BA2 engine. I don't get what some people were going on about regarding the Western Front armies not fitting into the darker style of BA2, because those screenshots look GOOD.
Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

Also I think I'll just wait for paul's Western Front mods rather than risk tampering with the files myself. Can't wait to see the Brits show up in BA2...completely lol.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

An on-test screenshot from Paul59's forthcoming British West Front mod, my Crocodiles in "toasting mode", June 1944, their flamethrowers have a 2-tile range.
(The purple tiles are the Crocs gun range using Paul's purple "range mod" which makes ranges easier to see than the default red)

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 am An on-test screenshot from Paul59's forthcoming British West Front mod, my Crocodiles in "toasting mode", June 1944, their flamethrowers have a 2-tile range.
(The purple tiles are the Crocs gun range using Paul's purple "range mod" which makes ranges easier to see than the default red)

Just to clarify for everyone; the In Range Tile Highlight Mod is a separate mod to the British West Front Mod, which just uses the standard tile highlights.

You can get the In Range Tile Highlight Mod here:

viewtopic.php?f=312&t=96066

I will make the British West Front Mod available when PoorOldSpike has finished testing. Hopefully it will be available through the in game download system.

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Paul59 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 am I will make the British West Front Mod available when PoorOldSpike has finished testing. Hopefully it will be available through the in game download system..
I've played 3 West front battles so far (2 Brit and 1 US), I'll play another 12 over the weekend and if no major problems show up it should be ready for release by Paul in less than a week from today..:)
Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

Great to hear, can't wait to finally get the good ol' Tommies into the fray once again!

Wasn't it Monty who said "Good luck and happy hunting on the mainland!", or something to that effect?
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

DatMoff wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:21 pmWasn't it Monty who said "Good luck and happy hunting on the mainland!", or something to that effect?
Yup, here are the messages Monty and Ike sent to the troops before D-Day..:)

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”