Vistula to Berlin - Seelow Heights scenario now available

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

GottaLove88s
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Vistula to Berlin - Seelow Heights scenario now available

Post by GottaLove88s »

Thanks everyone... Updated Vistula to Berlin 1945 - Battle #1: Seelow Heights v1.1b is now available to download

Download in the usual way
GottaLove88s wrote:1. Run BA2 on your Mac, PC or iPad
2. If you have not previously installed VTB'45, skip ahead to Step 8... If you have, then you must delete your old version first (steps 3-7)
3. Choose Multiplayer (from the menu at the right)
4. Log in to Multiplayer as usual
5. Choose the My Challenges tab (at the top) then press New Challenge (bottom centre)
6. Select the VTB'45 Battle #1 scenario and then Delete this Campaign (bottom right)
7. Press X until you get back to BA2 start screen
8. Choose Campaigns (from the menu at the right)
9. Choose Download Community Scenarios (stacked folders icon at the top)
10. Choose Download a Campaign Package from the Internet (red basket icon to the top right)
11. Type http://bit.ly/VTB1945 into the URL box
12. Click the green tick
13. Back at the campaigns list, select "VTB45 Battle #1: Seelow Heights v1.1b" and click Download the Selected Campaign (folder with red arrow icon, bottom centre)
14. This should download everything that you need
15. Press X until you get back to the BA2 start screen and choose Multiplayer
16. Log in to Multiplayer as usual
17. Either go to the My Challenges tab and click the New Challenge arrow. This list will now show the Vistula to Berlin VTB45 Series campaign
18. Or go to the Accept Challenges tab and click the scenario that you're supposed to be fighting (if your opponent has already setup your game)

Finally you can play VTB'45 on any platform... Phew!!
v1.1 has been updated with your feedback on v1.0, including:

- German nebelwerfer/Me262 can no longer target Kustrin or the Oder bridges
- Germans get fewer free units, and fewer elites
- Soviet militia upgraded to SMGs and riflemen
- Soviets get two IS2s (I think I've been had, Al - there is no IS1 model in BA2! ;-) )
- German 120mm mortars softened to 82mm (Let me know if these are now too weak, and I can increase to 3-man mortar team)
- Lots more mud and other obstructions, with broken road/tracks on the Heights, to slow down one-turn relocation of 88s (Best I can do for now, Justin, but happy to add in a Kfz 6,7,8 model if we can find one)
- Dead units now lose their line of sight (LOS) when they die (versus losing LOS at the end of the next turn) (Thanks for the reminder, P-A!)
- Soviet ZiS-3 bombard strengthened slightly (Let me know if you find this too strong, and I can tone it down)
- Infantry squads can now jump on the back of some large tanks, to get to the Front faster (Sorry, I was lazy to code this properly, so it also means that the same large tanks can pull artillery too)

Retained features of v1.0:

- Vistula to Berlin 1945 (VTB'45) modified units, with recon cars that can actually reconnoitre and more infantry per unit, to overcome the one shot and you're suppressed grunt duels of plain vanilla BA (with thanks to Granfali for his clever innovation to do this in GJS'44)

But first, some tasty screenshots and some warnings... Don't expect instant action. This is strategy... Both sides have lots of units. Both sides have very useful bonuses. Use 'em wisely... Both sides can make plenty of smoke. If you want to win, forget smoke at your peril...

It's an epic but it should be a fun replication of one of the more fascinating battles of WW2... All feedback welcome please. Am happy to tweak it, to get the balance right... With these changes, I'd expect the Soviets to win at least 4 to 1. But they will still have to fight hard versus a cunning German opponent... Enjoy guys! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1st WARNING: It's a large map with plenty of hidden treats for Generals with the patience (and persistence) to seek them

2nd WARNING: It's a slow starter. You have got to enjoy taking at least your first 3-4 turns to position large forces the way you want them

3. The Russians get 64 fixed units... I want to create the illusion of this being Zhukov's million man 1st Belorussian Front... If you start as the Reds, you're going to feel invincible with your troops marshalled along the shattered streets of Kustrin

4. The Germans get just enough free units plus 1500 points to spend. As in 1945, the Wehrmacht enjoys sloping terrain advantages and is well dug in. Here a Puma scout car looks down on the burned out shell of Kustrin town and ponders its own fate

5. Zhukov begins his advance. The Soviets deploy a battery of four 76mm artillery guns... The wily Red is going to need the smoke that those babies can shoot...

6. The Puma keeps a watchful eye on the enemy vanguard. I've modified unit characteristics so that the Puma and T70 'recon' cars now enjoy genuine reconnaissance abilities, longer visual range than other tanks

7. Awesome height perspective as the Puma radios back locations of the lead Su-122. Entrenched veteran gunners prepare to open fire... The Reds should have covered their advance with smoke from the Zis-3 battery

8. But the Germans face overwhelming enemy superiority of numbers... so a cunning commander might hide something special at the village... The Russians must take all four VPs to secure the Road to Berlin

The eagle eyed among you will note that multiple bonuses are available... including spotter planes for both sides, large scale artillery, Katyusha & Nebelwerfer rocket barrages, Sturmovik IL-2 ground strike aircraft and the Luftwaffe's last few Me262s...

Did I mention that volunteers are kindly requested...? :oops:
SCENARIO LINKS
Seelow'45 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=55132
Normandy'44 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42094
Dieppe'42 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42347
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Vistula to Berlin - Seelow Heights scenario now availabl

Post by Celeborn »

OMG...cannot wait to try

And from the No Good Deed Goes Unpunished file I think you now need to take on Battle For the Reichstag. Don't forget to include the Tiergarten FLaK tower or Hitler Youth Panzerfaust teams!
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

Dirty. Downloading for Ipad. Can't wait.
rwm59
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by rwm59 »

Hi, this is fantastic, but, there is a way to play an MP like an SP? ( I know this is seem a stupid question...)
I have not found an answer on BA1 .. so the same for BA2? ( hope ...)
Thanks
Ric
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

MP games tend not to have been set up with appropriate AI data, so it's not something that automatically works.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
rwm59
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by rwm59 »

pipfromslitherine wrote:MP games tend not to have been set up with appropriate AI data, so it's not something that automatically works.

Cheers

Pip
Ok, just work on... done. It work on Sp.
Moving from MP folder to Campaign Sp forder; changing some data (SIDEID0 1 AND SIDEID1 7) in .BAM file. It work but
I've only changed the graphics ..
Now I got russians side wich move first with flags of german.....but graphics icon (troops, tanks and so on ) are russians... ( :roll: :o )
What I can mod for move german first and assigna coreect troops to correct side ?
gracias
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

You would need to remove and replace the units in the editor - as you say you now have german units on the soviet side. Or you could edit the BAM file directly again and switch around the side's units.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
mpetri
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by mpetri »

Tricky scenario but very fun to play---I especially like how you can mount infantry on top of the tanks.

Any chance of a single player version, since I don't think there's any Battle of Berlin/lead up to it material?

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”