morale issue

Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM) Road to the Moon is the ultimate game of space exploration.

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

Post Reply
woody4077
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm

morale issue

Post by woody4077 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 am

well now that personnel can leave during the game cause of low morale;
i have to say there is a MAJOR flaw in the design of the game:
only being allowed to hire personnel ONCE a year is a BIG problem now.

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: morale issue

Post by Nacho84 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Hello woody,

But that's the whole point, you need to plan in advance :)

Notice that the game warns you when employees start getting dangerously dissatisfied with the Agency and are five seasons away from resigning, so that you can take remedial actions in order to keep them with you. That should give you enough time to adjust things accordingly.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

SebbiLebga
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: morale issue

Post by SebbiLebga » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:49 pm

I really like the concept of keeping my employees happy, but I think the morale system needs some tweaks. My biggest issue during my Let's Play playthrough was, that I couldn't raise their morale again. As I received the warning, I put them into advance training (which is sometimes a bit boring, because I need to select every single employee and the advance training lasts only 2 seasons for flight controllers...). However, as soon as they finished their training, they were unhappy again and I received the unhappy-warning in the same bulletin, that informed me about their training success. In this case, I think, the advanced training maybe should have a higher effect on the morale of the employees. In the end, my solution was just to pay them more money for doing nothing, which is somehow strange :wink:

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: morale issue

Post by Nacho84 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I see what you mean Sebbi. OK, I'll tweak the values for tomorrow's patch then.

About the payrise: we tried mimicking what happens in real-life. You are bored/frustrated with your job, your employer gives you a payrise to keep you in, you become happy (for a while) and then the frustration comes back because you realize it's not about money but about job dissatisfaction.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

SebbiLebga
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: morale issue

Post by SebbiLebga » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Good point. During my gameplay, I felt like being not a good director by increasing the payment for the whole department, because I was rewarding the "lazy" ones the same time as I rewarded the "industrious" ones. On the other hand, I only relied on the auto-assign best candidates feature to assign my flight controllers. If I would pick them manually, I could try to keep them happy. However, if I do this, I would have to pick an employee with a lower skill level and this could result in a dangerous situation for my astronauts...
Moreover, my employees could be unhappy, because I need time to research new components. During this time, they could start getting their own first hand experiences with this new hardware piece while they're on an advanced training. In the end, this would result also in a higher morale, because they're preparing for the upcoming mission.

Strange chain of ideas ftw!

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: morale issue

Post by Nacho84 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:05 pm

SebbiLebga wrote:However, if I do this, I would have to pick an employee with a lower skill level and this could result in a dangerous situation for my astronauts...
Yes, I see your point in here. The plan is to introduce experience gain in 0.7.13 next week. That way it will make a lot more sense for you to pick unskilled employees in order for them to "level up".

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

Italianfan88
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: morale issue

Post by Italianfan88 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Perhaps I should mention that, when the game goes into the 80s (in sandbox mode, of course), when I try to recruit more flight controllers I receive a message stating that no more employees can be hired.

In my latest game this basically grounded me, since in 1984 I ended up with fewer than the 12 FCs needed to support an Apollo mission (I wasn't very far, only at lunar flyby stage, still...).

Can it be corrected?

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: morale issue

Post by Nacho84 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Italianfan88 wrote:Perhaps I should mention that, when the game goes into the 80s (in sandbox mode, of course), when I try to recruit more flight controllers I receive a message stating that no more employees can be hired.

In my latest game this basically grounded me, since in 1984 I ended up with fewer than the 12 FCs needed to support an Apollo mission (I wasn't very far, only at lunar flyby stage, still...).

Can it be corrected?
Yes, no problem. I'll add more entries to the candidates pool for the next update. I wasn't really expecting for player to keep playing the game after 1984 in part 1 really! :)

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

Italianfan88
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: morale issue

Post by Italianfan88 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Nacho84 wrote:
Italianfan88 wrote:Perhaps I should mention that, when the game goes into the 80s (in sandbox mode, of course), when I try to recruit more flight controllers I receive a message stating that no more employees can be hired.

In my latest game this basically grounded me, since in 1984 I ended up with fewer than the 12 FCs needed to support an Apollo mission (I wasn't very far, only at lunar flyby stage, still...).

Can it be corrected?
Yes, no problem. I'll add more entries to the candidates pool for the next update. I wasn't really expecting for player to keep playing the game after 1984 in part 1 really! :)

Cheers,
Well, as soon as Apollo got implemented I was there trying to get a man on the Moon with it. :D

Thank you.

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: morale issue

Post by Nacho84 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Italianfan88 wrote:
Nacho84 wrote:
Italianfan88 wrote:Perhaps I should mention that, when the game goes into the 80s (in sandbox mode, of course), when I try to recruit more flight controllers I receive a message stating that no more employees can be hired.

In my latest game this basically grounded me, since in 1984 I ended up with fewer than the 12 FCs needed to support an Apollo mission (I wasn't very far, only at lunar flyby stage, still...).

Can it be corrected?
Yes, no problem. I'll add more entries to the candidates pool for the next update. I wasn't really expecting for player to keep playing the game after 1984 in part 1 really! :)

Cheers,
Well, as soon as Apollo got implemented I was there trying to get a man on the Moon with it. :D

Thank you.
Fair enough. Notice that now that we have more gameplay features in, the plan is to start tweaking the spreadsheets so that you guys can start matching the historical timelines in your games, so please let us know if you think the game is making it extremely hard for you to accomplish objectives in a reasonable timeframe and we'll adjust the values.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

justsomehobo
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: morale issue

Post by justsomehobo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Nacho84 wrote: Notice that now that we have more gameplay features in, the plan is to start tweaking the spreadsheets so that you guys can start matching the historical timelines in your games, so please let us know if you think the game is making it extremely hard for you to accomplish objectives in a reasonable timeframe and we'll adjust the values.

Cheers,
How many turns are there in a year exactly? My ideal timeframe would have turns lasting a week each.

Post Reply

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”