Can we get a PC UI?

Forum for the strategy game set during the 2nd War for Armageddon.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

rezaf
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Can we get a PC UI?

Post by rezaf »

Oh well, it looks like you guys learned hard lessons from porting over PzC to the iPad with it's touch only interface. And boy, you heeded them well.
But did we PC guys really have to be limited to a touch interface?
Every UI element is HUUUUUUGE, there's often no tooltips and appearently either no right-click functionality at all or the game does the same thing whether you right or left-click.

_____
rezaf
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Can we get a PC UI?

Post by zakblood »

use the option button then :wink:
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Are large elements that bad? Much easier to hit with the mouse. :) Seriously, the only place where screen estate is critical is game map, but their UI panel is not much bigger than PzC, at least if you upscale it proportionally to full HD. And on the plus side, PzC did have smallish hardly readable font in the UI.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

thats a better reply than my options one, as my option was don't play it if you don't like it, then you miss out on the fun and more chance of me winning more often:wink:

:lol:
rezaf

Post by rezaf »

Rudankort wrote:Are large elements that bad? Much easier to hit with the mouse. :) Seriously, the only place where screen estate is critical is game map, but their UI panel is not much bigger than PzC, at least if you upscale it proportionally to full HD. And on the plus side, PzC did have smallish hardly readable font in the UI.
The huge UI elements scream "I have been designed for touch devices" at you. Like those cheap cash-in games that were previously iOS only and then popped up on Steam well after the fact.
And yeah, I think it's pretty bad. Feels like gaming in 320x240 again.
_____
rezaf
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Wait, there are no tooltips?!? Uh oh, I just bought this game, too. Tooltips are essential for wargames, to know what all the stats and everything are.

I sure hope this didn't get iPad-ized like the OP suggested. I will see once it is done downloading and installing, but please say it isn't so.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

There are tooltips on all icons, and clicking them usually brings up description. We have a known issue with tooltips not working on disabled buttons, but otherwise, should be there. Let us know if you don't get them.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you, Rudankort! I sure will.
Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. »

Rudankort wrote:There are tooltips on all icons, and clicking them usually brings up description. We have a known issue with tooltips not working on disabled buttons, but otherwise, should be there. Let us know if you don't get them.
Can we get rid of those unnecessary pop-up windows and have expanding tooltips.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

A question to all: do you feel that game UI is too large, and if yes, which elements exactly? I'm especially interested in main game view and Purchase screen as the most important in-game screens. But any feedback on the matter welcome.
rezaf

Post by rezaf »

I realize I'm the one guy in "all" that you didn't refer to, but I'll use that loophole to write a few things anyway:

The entire UI feels a bit too "heavy". Like eating a whole cream cake when all you wanted was a salad.
On the main screen, it's mostly the sidebar - in general, most fonts are at least two points too big. The buttons are at least 50% too big.
The popups for objectives or options are obscenely oversized, they really feel like cheap conversions from an iOS game.
The buttons on other game screens are gargantuan (I'm struggling for superlatives here, so bear with me). These are like 500% the size they'd have to be. Yes, space isn't at a premium on the save/load screen, but that doesn't mean everything has to be THAT immense.

Now, for something different:
Please re-implement keyboard shortcuts. Why the heck did you ever get rid of these? Page Up and Page Down for Next / Previous unit. Ctrl-S and Ctrl-L to save or load a game. Some key to get to the purchase screen (also supersized, btw).
Stuff like that. We're on PC and folks do have keyboards...
_____
rezaf
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

might be tone and manners tbh, asking is one thing, saying please and thanks is another, maybe loosing the attitude may help :wink:

or not....

as it' only a opinion :wink:

and regarding the UI is too large, i'd say if it's possible give users a choice of size, if it's not too much work Rudankort etc, i'm more than happier either way, and go with what everyone else wants, as it's ok for me now but if enough of the others think the same way and it's not a hard job to alter, then i'd be happy with it smaller or leave it our it is, i'm easy as it make not much difference to game play to me really :wink:

ty..
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

rezaf

We have even TWO shortcuts for prev/next units. [ ] and < >. Hope you enjoy them. ;) PgUp and PgDown were intended for zooming, but don't seem to work - will fix. + and - do work though. Use P for Purchase.

I will actually agree with you about the gargantuan buttons in save/load. Originally it was Play button which is so important, we've exaggerated it a bit. Then the design got reused for Save/Load and we got what we got. May need to reduce those buttons to avoid false tablet associations.

I don't agree with your other points I'm afraid. Especially regarding the font - well-readable text is great. :P
rezaf

Post by rezaf »

Rudankort wrote:I don't agree with your other points I'm afraid.
Aww ... cmon, not even the part about keyboard shortcuts for saving and loading the game? Sad panda. :cry:

As for the other stuff ... yeah, I'm following the news and heard you russian guys were all about thinking BIG again these days. :lol:
Ahem. My apologies for the snark. :wink:
_____
rezaf
Last edited by rezaf on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Alright, you got me there. Buttons for save/load would be nice. (happy panda)
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

I prefer a smaller UI and side bar. 15% reduction would be nice.
Maler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Maler »

Another one for smaller side panel on main game screen here. Only slightly though. I also think the fonts are slightly too large. Again only slightly. Some text doesn't even fit on my resolution (1680x1050). Other than that it's all good really :)
Joubarbe
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Joubarbe »

Rudankort wrote:There are tooltips on all icons, and clicking them usually brings up description. We have a known issue with tooltips not working on disabled buttons, but otherwise, should be there. Let us know if you don't get them.
I get them but they are flashing. I guess that's a known bug.
francescoperrone
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by francescoperrone »

I am liking this game alot but a better UI would benefit it greatly
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

I don't mind a more streamlined UI as long I don't have make any compromises on the amount of information presented.
It's really imported for my playstyle to quickly compare my units and the enemy weapons capabilities, so I know how to proceed with most efficiency and the least amount of casualties. Actually I wish the currently shown information to be expanded, to include weapon traits and unit morale too and A display for cover and total block LOS between my selected unit and the hex I'm pointing my cursor at.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”