difficulty setting

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars Moderators

generalgonzo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

difficulty setting

Post by generalgonzo »

Am I right that there is no difficulty Setting ?

The first campaign seems way too easy to me.......
Imminence
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: difficulty setting

Post by Imminence »

Well, then you are the champ himself! Congrats!

Perhaps - if I do not ask too much - you could give me some pointers?

1) Did you keep light infantry or did you sell them off for better, e.g. men at arms?
2) What is your opinion about cavalry in relation to the scenarios of the first campaign?
3) Did you win your battles without any problems and achieved everytime an epic victory?
4) If 3) is the case, how did you kill the trolls sitting in the cities, receiving one dmg by a catapult and regenerating it?
5) What was your core in the scenario where the dragon appears?

Except the scenario mentioned under 5) I won, too. But at what price? I hope you did better and will give me some hints.

Thx in advance!

EDIT: Now I saw the special thing about the "Dragon-scenario". So, no need to explain how to win there :lol:
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

I am by no means an expert of the game, but my take on these is:

1) I tried to switch over to men at arms mostly, but light infantry is nice for flanking, and whatever situation where you need to get faster to than heavy infantry could. (or at times just as some cannon fodder)
2) Human cavalry is great, especially the heavies. :) Now, Elven cavalry in the next campaign will be an entirely different matter. They are awesome fast and do a decent punch but I have found them vulnerable, so you can`t just charge around with them carelessly (well you can`t do that with human knights either, but they are more versatile :) ). That said, I still kept one or two in my army, for some glorious flanking of enemy archers, or quickly going where the situation was critical. Often these were suicide missions, though.
3) At the very start, yes, then much less so later on :D
4) As I recall, I concentrated my missile troops to wear down the entrenchment level, than went for the kill. Tricky situation, for sure.
drudeboy
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by drudeboy »

I too found the human campaign somewhat easy, but it was expected since it was the first campaign. I choose to sell both of my light infantry (well 1 as the other got killed in an early mission), but replaced them with standard infantry and gave them a Lvl 3 Forced March special ability. Therefore, effectively creating a stronger flanking/ rush unit as they have better morale and defense stats. Also, taking an extra archer unit may prove useful particularly against the city seiges.

Regarding the catapults, they are very inconsistent with dealing what I consider their appropriate dmg to sieging cities, but I didn't have a problem with the 1-10 dmg per attack though. The strategy using the archers to attack first, and monk unit, then using the catapult usually helps the catapult land criticals and high dmg. Also, with the monk unit you can easily heal your hero's life points when using him to attack the Trolls in the cities, so make sure after you strike with the catapult to attack with Marcus, and make good use of the 4 heals the Monks have.

FYI, that dragon battle at the end was great - I restarted 10 times before I figured it out.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

generalgonzo wrote:Am I right that there is no difficulty Setting ?

The first campaign seems way too easy to me.......
So could you give me a tip how to win the last scenario ?
Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. »

I uploaded my save at the beginning of this battle. I finished 4 turns ahead of time required for an epic victory. When upgrading my units I usually put all points in the one stat that is highest. Like all in defense for lights inf. but all in attack for Marcus archers, catapults. Except for Men of Arms where I split my points equally on attack and defense.
To put it straight ...on the first turn I fortified my lights on the left plus cast their defense buff and then shuffled my troops on the right into position for the incoming harpy attack next turn. (Man at arms, Feudal knights to the right flank) I arrowed the front line trolls but basically ignored them. After I disposed the harpies next turn I used my archers, mage and light inf and one Men of Arms to to kill the opposition on the left. While Marcus and the Feudal knights, using their abilities to full extend, crossed the river towards the ritual site.
When the goblins on the left are dead plus the one enemy camp defender my archer focused fired the enemies on right until only the troop defending Fable was left. I then used my catapult and archers combat abilities to wear him down before taking the citie. In the meantime my light inf. went after the goblin archer defending the castle, while the cleric started to reduce entrenchment levels.

To use my save game extract the save with your favorite compression program and place it in case of Windows 7 in this folder ..Users\Your-Username\AppData\Roaming\FantasyKommanderEW\Local Store\#SharedObjects\ServerMain.swf

Backup if it replace on of your saves.

Edit: Sometimes I type just too fast. Sorry for all the spelling errors early.
Attachments
Slot3.rar
(17.94 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
Last edited by Dragoon. on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Thank you dragoon for the detailed description.
But i think this level is a little to hard, not everyone is interested to play a scenario 10 or 20 times to win it.
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

I just though it could be helpful for you to check out the after action report (AAR) featuring the Human campaign to get a sense and idea for playing the game.
AAR can be sometimes be more helpful to learn a game than reading the manual. Though you should certainly read the manual. Though you should certainly checkout chapter 11 page 116 of the manual to get a full understanding for the combat mechanics. This is the only way to know what likely outcome of your actions will be before you even do them, without the understanding of game mechanics you are force to take action first and then wait for the outcome, hoping it was in your favor.

Fantasy Kommander AAR – The Courage of a Knight
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Thats very helpful, thank you.
cptkremmen
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by cptkremmen »

The mission in the human cmapaign dragoon mentions above is too hard.

I have tried it half a dozen times and got nowhere.

I have now had to give up playing the game as you can't go to the 2nd campaign without finishing the 1st and I can't finish the 1st.
FabioBelsanti
Age of Games
Age of Games

Post by FabioBelsanti »

cptkremmen wrote:The mission in the human cmapaign dragoon mentions above is too hard.

I have now had to give up playing the game as you can't go to the 2nd campaign without finishing the 1st and I can't finish the 1st.
Hi

Probably you can check this AAR: viewtopic.php?f=238&t=45797

I hope this helps but please feel free to ask me anything.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

cptkremmen wrote:The mission in the human cmapaign dragoon mentions above is too hard.

I must confess i think the same.
drudeboy

Post by drudeboy »

Micha wrote:
cptkremmen wrote:The mission in the human campaign dragoon mentions above is too hard.

I must confess i think the same.
I'm sorry to hear how much trouble you guys are having. I can say it may be easier to beat that last level if you replay the campaign from the beginning, and sell off your light infantry after completing the second mission. You can buy archers or standard infantry. When you are able to buy Man-at-arms units, keep buying them as they become available to replace the light infantry/ standard infantry. When you reach that final mission - Battle of Fable - you should have: 4 archers/1 catapult or 3 archers/2 catapults or 3 archers/1 catapult/1 monk (no less than 3 archers). 1 std cavalry/1 elite cavalry or 2 elite cavalry (Marcus of course counting as your 3rd cavalry unit). The rest, i think 6 remaining units, should be infantry - mostly man-at-arms units. Now, if u time the selling off of the light infantry properly between missions, then you should still end up with some level 4 man-at-arms units and maybe 1 standard infantry unit at level 4. And your archers should be all level 3 or higher. The money you receive from all previous missions, including the bonus missions, should be enough to purchase the better units and replace the weaker ones. This of course depends on how many units you had to spend money resurrecting throughout the campaign.

The best gameplay strategy I can give you for this and future city sieges, is once the surrounding enemy units are defeated (those not defending a city/camp/fort), u can then use your archers to attack the city etc. After hitting the defending unit with a volley of arrows or 2, then hit it with your catapult. The catapult is more likely to deal a high damage hit when assaulting the city this way. Finally, any melee units available can be used to attack the castle/city.

Also, if you decide to use 2 catapults for the final mission, do NOT make the mistake of attacking different forts/cities with each. The troll defenders regenerate health each turn, thus, you should concentrate on one city/ village at a time with them.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Thank you for tips. It seems for me this game is made for strat experts. Levels are only winable by a spezial army and a spezial tactic
you have to find out in several trys.
And when the first campaign is hard in that way i dont try to imagine how hard the next campaigns are.
After a lot of trys i must confess i"m a little demotivated for the moment and will take a break from the game.
But this is a great game and i will come back later to try it againe , thats for sure.
FabioBelsanti
Age of Games
Age of Games

Post by FabioBelsanti »

Micha wrote:Thank you for tips. It seems for me this game is made for strat experts. Levels are only winable by a spezial army and a spezial tactic
And when the first campaign is hard in that way i dont try to imagine how hard the next campaigns are.
After a lot of trys i must confess i"m a little demotivated for the moment and will take a break from the game.
But this is a great game and i will come back later to try it againe , thats for sure.
Hi Micha

I'm really sorry for the problems you had playing our game.

The next campaigns are not harder but different, with new units, like elves that are really strong in the forests.

Please don't worry about the other campaigns, if you win the first one you can win all the others.

May I ask you if you played games like Pazer General / Panzer Corps / Fantasy General before?

And if yes, did you find these games really easier than FK? And if yes why?

What do you think is really difficult in FK?

I thank you very much if you'll have the time and will to answer these questions because it's really important to me to understand if we do something to re-balance this (or our future) game/s.

Thanks!
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Hi,
there is no reason for saying sorry, you did a great job, this is a good game. Other players won the campaigns so i dont think you
made any misstakes. I have to learn and check out the game better .
Ofcourse i play SSI games and i create scenarios and campaigns for the oldie "Peoples general ".
What is a little hard for me to use to is to remove experienced units and purchase new ones for other missions.
In SSI games you can keep your coreunits during the whole game .
And in SSI games you always can set up the game from easy for "from time to time players " to verry difficult for experts.
Thats what i miss in your game, you should add this.
In easy set up maybe the player should have more money and unitslots, just a idea.
Good to know there is no raising difficulty level for the next campaigns.
A good thing is you can resurect your dead units, great idea for a great game.
Last edited by Micha63 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FabioBelsanti
Age of Games
Age of Games

Post by FabioBelsanti »

Micha wrote:Hi,
there is no reason for saying sorry, you did a great job, this is a good game. Other players won the campaigns so i dont think you
made any misstakes. I have to learn and check out the game better .
Ofcourse i play SSI games and i create scenarios and campaigns for the oldie "Peoples general ".
What is a little hard for me to use to is to remove experienced units and purchase new ones for other missions.
In SSI games you can keep your coreunits during the whole game .
And in SSI games you always can set up the game from easy for "from time to time players " to verry difficult for experts.
Thats what i miss in your game, you should add this.
In easy set up maybe the player should have mor money and unitslots, just a idea.
Good to know there is no raising difficulty level for the next campaigns.
A good thing is you can resurect your dead units, great idea for a great game.
Thanks for your kind words Micha.

Your feedback and suggestions will be very useful for us.

Please, as always, feel free to ask me anything.

Thanks!
drudeboy

Post by drudeboy »

Micha wrote:Thank you for tips. It seems for me this game is made for strat experts. Levels are only winable by a spezial army and a spezial tactic
No problem Micha. Now I guess I have to agree that some of the battles really seem to require a more specialized tactic, especially compared to the previous game titles. I think it would be a good idea, since you plan to take a break from this one, that you try out and play the other games at ageofgames.net as they are all free to play there and you do not have to be a member or sign up with the site. They are Fantasy Kommader, Kaos Kommander and Fantasy Kommander - Fascination of Evil. The first 2 have 3 difficulty settings so you can play on a more casual setting, but the third one only has one setting. However, you do get to keep all of your armies as there is no unit cap, plus most maps allow you to have larger armies than in this FK-EW game. Also, some of the maps do require a more specialized tactic to win, but most you can use multiple tactics and still win.

Just a warning, the first FK both your units and enemy units tend to get a lot of super-criticals, which may be a bit annoying (and you may feel a rage-quit), but Kaos K they tweaked it to not get so many super-crits, and then the FK-FE, they tweaked it again. Also, you are only allowed to save your games in the HQ, not between turns during battles. Finally, those games are on square tile maps, rather than hexagon. I honestly think if you play and beat these, you may be more comfortable and motivated to return to this one and play through it again.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Hallo,
thank you for the offer. But for the moment Peoples General eats up all my free time. I"ve been surching many years for roundbased games
about wars like the prussian unifying wars or the 30 years war and others but could find nothing what was good.
So i created a lot of mods for Peoples General and now the Scenariomaking starts and will keep me busy for many years.
drudeboy

Post by drudeboy »

ok cool. Funny, I guess I'm in the same boat, so many games and so little time.

Return to “Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars”