Someone remembers "Fantasy General" made by SSI?

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars Moderators

Imminence
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Someone remembers "Fantasy General" made by SSI?

Post by Imminence » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:42 am

When Panzer Corps (PC) is a reminiscence if not a better remake to /of Panzer General (PG), should Fantasy Kommander (FK) awaken our memories of Fantasy General (FG)?

After the first chapter FK seems to be completely new and different, while in PC after some minutes the old PG-feeling was back.

TBH, I really thought, FK should be like PC kind of a (better) remake of the ever classic FG.

Oh my...lots of abbreviations 8)

kevini1000
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Someone remembers "Fantasy General" made by SSI?

Post by kevini1000 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:34 am

Fantasy General was a top notch game from back in the day and certainly based on the original Panzer corps game. The new Panzer corps games and such resemble the old Panzer General games of old. With Panzer Corps they took a proven model and improved upon it. Fantasy Kommander is unfortunately not the same style of remake that Panzer corps is. Oh How I would love a modern Fantasy General game.

borsook79
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by borsook79 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:47 pm

This is a very different game... it's rather like a turn based Warhammer Dark Omen :) It has facing, RPG stats etc. A Fantasy General remake would be great, it was my favourite in the series.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Well the Fantasy General animators certainly were males considering this.

The Witch of Icethorn dress disintegrates before she does.

Brentf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Brentf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:50 am

FG was an awesome game and still one of my favorites of all time. An updated version of it for the latest operating systems and tablets would be amazing. Hope to see it again someday.

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 am

Hello,

it works perfect with dosbox on newer systems, i play it from time to time on my xp.
By the way , a fantasy general remake with the original icons and maps as a Peoples"s general mod is possible.
I had planned this but after "Fantasy Kommander " i burried the idea.
But if there would be a few helpers which willing to learn how to create scenarios a remake would be possible.

borsook79

Post by borsook79 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Micha wrote:Hello,

it works perfect with dosbox on newer systems, i play it from time to time on my xp.
By the way , a fantasy general remake with the original icons and maps as a Peoples"s general mod is possible.
I had planned this but after "Fantasy Kommander " i burried the idea.
But if there would be a few helpers which willing to learn how to create scenarios a remake would be possible.
Can it be fully remade as a mod? what about choosing who you are (general, mage, summoner), what about spells?
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

Micha63

Post by Micha63 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Borsok,
what is possible is a Mod with People"s General Rules not a perfect remake.
The Spells are a problem they can appear only as a kind of infantry attacks.
Earthquakes, healers or resuractions of deaths are not possile. Also the original animations
cant be done.
Everything else is makable.
But only with the origial maps and units, everything else would be to much work.
If you are interested in such a project we should start a tread in the Peg forum.

borsook79

Post by borsook79 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Micha wrote:Hi Borsok,
what is possible is a Mod with People"s General Rules not a perfect remake.
The Spells are a problem they can appear only as a kind of infantry attacks.
Earthquakes, healers or resuractions of deaths are not possile. Also the original animations
cant be done.
Everything else is makable.
But only with the origial maps and units, everything else would be to much work.
If you are interested in such a project we should start a tread in the Peg forum.
Ok, infantry attacks could emulate unit spells, but not hero spells... while such a mod would be fun to play, without magic I feel it would lose an important part of Fantasy General's appeal.

BTW I'm curious what's the legal situation with FG, GOG has PG2, but not the original 5 star series...

Micha63

Post by Micha63 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:40 pm

I was in contact for a few month with ubisoft and the old ssi heros to purchase the sourcecode of Peoples General.
The Advocat of ubisoft told me there is no more sourcecode, everything is in the trashcan becourse no one is interested in this game anymore.
And we do not sell our mods , everything is for free. But the game is old almost no one play"s it anymore.
Ok , i think you are rigth, without spells it makes not really sense to create such a mod.
I think Fantasy commander is a good replacement for fantasygeneral and the original runs perfect with dosbox.
I must also also confess after making many pegmods i have enough, its an interesting but timeconsuming and a bit nervkilling job.
After finishing the 30 years war mod i"m not really interested to do any new mod.

borsook79

Post by borsook79 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Micha wrote:I was in contact for a few month with ubisoft and the old ssi heros to purchase the sourcecode of Peoples General.
The Advocat of ubisoft told me there is no more sourcecode, everything is in the trashcan becourse no one is interested in this game anymore.
And we do not sell our mods , everything is for free. But the game is old almost no one play"s it anymore.
Ok , i think you are rigth, without spells it makes not really sense to create such a mod.
I think Fantasy commander is a good replacement for fantasygeneral and the original runs perfect with dosbox.
I must also also confess after making many pegmods i have enough, its an interesting but timeconsuming and a bit nervkilling job.
After finishing the 30 years war mod i"m not really interested to do any new mod.
Actually I wasn't wondering about the source code but just rights to the games, I have FG cd, but I'd prefer to have a GOG version with presetup dosbox.

As for the mod - I don't mean it's a bad idea, people's general's engine is great, and would work very well (or Rites of War might be considered too), I just think it can't really be a full remake, just a great mod :)

Micha63

Post by Micha63 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:03 pm

I dont think is hard to set up dos box to your system to play fantasy general.
You should search in the internet for the dos box forum, a pre setup for FG will not come because every system needs
to fit to dosbox seperatly if i remember rigth.
If you like to create a Fantasy general Peg mod please let me know, i will assist you.

mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mbpopolano24 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:40 am

Fantasy General, what a game! Good memories, good times...

Dunadd
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Dunadd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:04 am

Sovereignty is pretty much Fantasy General battles with a Birthright style campaign map in which you can play as different kingdoms. Still in Early Access and needs some work, but i played 3 campaigns in it and mostly enjoyed them a lot.

Fantasy General and Elven Legacy are more similar to Fantasy General itself with a linear campaign of missions.

I want to like Fantasy Kommander but i find it hard to tell units and buttons apart in it - maybe it will grow on me if i play it more though.

EDIT - after playing through a few more missions i do quite like it, but find the one down side i also found in Fantasy General - you arent allowed enough units in your army at a time :)

Micha63

Post by Micha63 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:24 am

Return to “Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars”