The dustbin

The FOG Digital League

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft, FoG: Leagues&Tourns&SeekingOpponents Subforums mods, Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator, FoG: Leagues&Tourns&SeekingOpponents Subforums mods

Epicouros
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

How to apply?

Post by Epicouros » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Hello everyone,

Do I apply here to join the league?

I'm a long time FOG player (just the computer game, not TT, although I have the books).
After a hiatus of about half a year, I decided to get back into the game.

Only this time, maybe I want a little more than just random online games, and join a league.
I think I'm not a bad player (I managed to win about two thirds of my online games so far, both scenarios & DAG), although I don't think I'll manage that in a league full of experienced players. :wink:

One further point: is it a problem if I skip the summer season? The other seasons probably won't pose a problem.

Greetings, Epicouros

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: How to apply?

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:02 am

Hello Epicouros. You are on the invitation list for Season 2. if you log in to the forum and check your "new messages" around January 10th or 11th you will receive your invitation. In your first season as a "new" player you will be able to enter 2 sections. Season 2 will start on February 1st. If you cannot play in the summer season (starting June 1st) then that is not a problem. :wink:

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Classical Antiquity: post your results here . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:06 am

Division A

Sharkall (Dacians) 45/52 beat ericdoman1 (Palmyrans) 35/35

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:14 am

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Can ericdoman1 win the Grand Slam?!

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 am

Congratulations to Marius (Sharkall) for winning this very close match. The last match with ianiow will now decide who wins the division. Ian needs to win while Marius just needs a draw to maintain his position at the top.

I think Eric (ericdoman1) deserves a big round of applause from everyone for coming so close to pulling off an incredible Grand Slam. I think he had to go for it in that last match and attack uphill when in other circumstances he might have waited in the plain. Thanks to both players for the screenshots and commentary that made it all very exciting for those of us following the match.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Early Middle Ages: post your results here . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:20 am

Epicouros

Post by Epicouros » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 am

OK, thank you. I'll keep an eye on the messages.

Where can I find the rules of the league?
Everyone plays 500 pt armies, is that correct? Or was it 400?
What's the allowed time to finish a game, and how many games is one expected to play in that time (per section)?

What will be the fourth section next season apart from Antiquity, Early Medieval & High Medieval?
As I can only join two sections, it's useful to know so I can start brainstorming about army compositions in the correct section(s). If it's not yet known: what were the '4th sections' in the last few seasons (so that I have an idea...)?

Sorry for my rather noob-sounding questions but I couldn't immediately find an answer in the other threads.

Thanks & greetings,
Epicouros

Edit: I found the answer to most questions in the meantime.
Only remaining questions are: 1) How many matches per player/section? In other words: how big are the divisions?
2) Which theme will the 4th section have next season? (if that is decided already, of course)

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Epicouros wrote:Edit: I found the answer to most questions in the meantime.
Only remaining questions are: 1) How many matches per player/section? In other words: how big are the divisions?
2) Which theme will the 4th section have next season? (if that is decided already, of course)
1) 9 matches per player in each core historical section, 10 players per division.
2) The themed event in Season 2 will be based on the armies from Classical Antiquity, although players in their first season may only enter up to 2 out of the 3 core historical periods.

Epicouros

Post by Epicouros » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:19 pm

All right, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to playing in the league! :)

In what way will the themed Antiquity section next season be different from the regular Antiquity section?
Focus on a certain period and/or region?...
I'm thinking of entering at least one of these two sections. Maybe the High Medieval one too, if I only choose one.

Edit: do you mean new players can't enter the themed section yet? In that case it would be the regular Antiquity section + probably High Medieval for me

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Epicouros wrote:All right, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to playing in the league! :)

In what way will the themed Antiquity section next season be different from the regular Antiquity section?
Focus on a certain period and/or region?...
It focuses on certain historical episodes and combines league and knock-out formats as well as DAG battles and scenarios - so it is quite different from the standard league format.

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 47&t=44946
I'm thinking of entering at least one of these two sections. Maybe the High Medieval one too, if I only choose one.

Edit: do you mean new players can't enter the themed section yet? In that case it would be the regular Antiquity section + probably High Medieval for me
Yes, new players cannot enter the themed section in their first season.

Greyhunterlp
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: High Middle Ages: post your results here . . .

Post by Greyhunterlp » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:20 pm

I noticed this down as an outstanding result.

claytonengel v Greyhunter - match in progress

I lost this game to claytonengel a while back, and assumed he would post his victory in here. Now FOG seems to have deleted all of the victory logs, so I can't tell you the scores. - Thought I'd post in anyway so he can get his point, he may be able to get the score for you.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:23 pm

batesmotel Armenian(Khusrau I) - 28/30
claymore Bosporan(late) - 42/42

For most of the game it looked like Bosporan numbers would triumph over the Armenian cataphracts, especially when the Kushan ally general died in the first few turns and the cataphracts seemed to be dying in equal numbers to the Bosporan protected lancers. IN the end the Armenians lasted just long enough and delayed the outflanking Bosporan cavalry and MF long enough to pull it out. Thanks for a great game.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

ericdoman1
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ericdoman1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Well that result has saved a few headaches:), a reverse would have made the relegation issue quite interesting I think.

Chris had beaten Pete, Jon had beaten Chris and Pete had beaten Jon

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:31 pm

ericdoman1 wrote:Well that result has saved a few headaches:), a reverse would have made the relegation issue quite interesting I think.

Chris had beaten Pete, Jon had beaten Chris and Pete had beaten Jon
Yes, we would have all have been equal in 8th place. I think all of us should be relegated really as we have had very poor seasons but as no-one has actually finished up in the automatic relegation place then the committee will have to look at it when we know who is entering next season. Under the rules the committee has powers for discretionary promotion and relegation. :wink:

teletabicus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by teletabicus » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:12 am

Division D
teletabicus (Late republican romans) 17/27 beat grandad (Later Macedonians) 23/22
cheers

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

A change in your committee . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Oskar (voskarp) has decided to stand down from the tournament committee at the end of this season on 31/12. Myself and Mark (Turk1964) will be very sorry to see Oskar go as he has been an excellent member of our team and he has made a very big contribution to the successful launch of the FOG Digital League. Thanks very much for all you have done, Oskar, and I hope you will be able to re-join us at some point in the future. :D

Oskar will be replaced by Jonathan4290. Jonathan is currently running an excellent FOG tournament and he has been "sitting in" on the committee's deliberations for the last fortnight or so. Welcome to Jonathan. :D

Mark and myself will be continuing as before and Anders (hidde) will continue to design our charts and tables. My thanks to Mark and Anders for all their hard work in getting the competition established over the last few months. :D

voskarp
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: A change in your committee . . .

Post by voskarp » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words Pete, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to take part "behind the scene" in one of the greatest leagues on this forum. It has been a very good way of getting to know the community better, as well as an insight in how much work there is behind this sort of thing. :wink:

Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I just wanted everyone to know that I will rule with an iron fist and none shall be spared. That is all.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com

kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kilroy1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Jonathan4290 wrote:I just wanted everyone to know that I will rule with an iron fist and none shall be spared. That is all.
No velvet glove? :lol:

george123
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: High Middle Ages: post your results here . . .

Post by george123 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Division C

george123 - HYW English (Britain, early) 11/32 beat tullius - Later Polish (later) 28/28 on turn 24!

Great game to finish on. Thanks to all the players and committee.

Return to “The FOG Digital League”