The FOG Digital League will be returning on Feb 1st 2018!

The FOG Digital League

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft, FoG: Leagues&Tourns&SeekingOpponents Subforums mods

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Rules of Competition . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

The FOG Digital League: rules of competition 1.0

1. The League

The league will be run by a committee of three people – a secretary and two convenors.

The league will consist of 3 core sections:

Classical Antiquity 750BC – 500AD
Early Middle Ages 500AD - 1000AD
High Middle Ages 1000AD – 1500 AD

In addition, a 4th section, historically themed, will be available each season.

Each section will be divided into “A”, “B”, “C” and "D" divisions and 10 players will participate in each division. If any division has less than 10 players at the start of competition then recruitment to it will remain open for a limited period. Priority for later recruitment from the “reserve lists” will be given to players who are new to the competition.

New players will usually start in the “D” divisions and returning players will be placed in the division relevant to their previous standing and current FOG Digital League ranking.

Promotion and relegation will occur between all divisions. Players winning a “B”, “C” or "D" division will always be promoted and players coming bottom of an “A”, “B” or "C" division will always be relegated. Other promotions and relegations will be at the discretion of the committee.

Players who have completed 15 tournament matches will be given a FOG Digital rating.

Any eventuality not covered by these rules will be adjudicated by the organising committee.

2. Joining the league and selecting your armies

Players are required to select three different army lists for each of the sections that they wish to enter and to post them in the relevant “recruitment” threads. Players will be allocated one army for each section they have entered. Lower rated or un-rated players are more likely to receive their first preference choice while the higher rated players are more likely to receive their second or third choices.

For each of the sections players will always field a 400pt army from their own list; allies can be included if desired. Players are free to customise their army before each battle.

3. Participation in the league

Players who have been regular participants in the league in the past will be able to enter all the sections of the league. New players and regular players who have been unable to complete all their league matches in the previous season will be restricted to just 2 sections of the league. Players who entered 2 sections of the league in a previous season and did not complete all their matches may be excluded from the competition for the current season.

Players who have been held responsible for persistent slow play in a previous season may also face restrictions to the number of sections they may enter in the current season.

Players must register their first result in each section they have entered within one month of the opening of the tournament or they may be replaced by a player from the reserve list.

4. Matches

“Fog of War” and “Double Moves” settings are mandatory for this league. Either player may initiate a match by posting a challenge in the appropriate thread in the competition forum.

If a match is set-up incorrectly for any reason then it must be re-started as soon as possible. Players may also agree to restart a game during the first two turns if they feel the map terrain makes it likely that the match will be stalemated.

Reporting the result of a match is the responsibility of the winning player.

5. Winning league points

Points will be awarded for wins and draws as follows . . .

4 points – win
2 points – a draw where both armies break on the same turn
1 point – any other type of draw
0 points – loss

To win a game a player must “break” the opponent’s army. Games where neither armies break after 24 turns will be treated as draws (1 point to each player). The “marginal victory” rule will not apply in any circumstances.

If bwo or more players finish on the same number of points at the end of the season, the committee will look at the result(s) of the matches between the players to ascertain the final placings in the league table.

6. Player Etiquette and withdrawal from the league

Please treat organisers and other players in the way that you would wish to be treated yourself. Try to respond to communications as quickly as you can and once you have started a match play at a regular pace so it can be completed within a reasonable timespan. It is expected that all matches will be completed within one month of their starting date. If you are unable to play for a period of time then please let your opponents know in advance, whenever possible.

Please notify the tournament organisers if you are unable to contact an opponent or if they fail to make a move in a match in progress after 7 days have elapsed without explanation.

If your opponent has not moved at all for one month then you are entitled to claim the match automatically by using the facility to do this on the multiplayer system.

If you wish to resign from the league, or if you will not have time to finish all of your matches, please notify the tournament organisers as soon as possible. If you have not completed three matches in a division your record will be expunged completely. If you have completed three or more matches then the points available from any un-played matches will be awarded to your opponents.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

The FOG Digital League will be returning on Feb 1st 2018!

Post by stockwellpete »

10th October 2017

Another quick update. The FOG Digital League will be returning with FOG2 in due course. I don't have any details at the moment but I will be talking further to Slitherine in the next few weeks, I expect. I hope also to be able to re-launch the knock-out tournament as well. I will pass on any more details when I have them.
Searoom
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Season 5 of the FOG Digital League will start on October

Post by Searoom »

Wonderful.
paulmcneil
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by paulmcneil »

Sounds good, I guess WFtS and OoF aren't available under the old release by any chance?
Paul McNeil
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

paulmcneil wrote:Sounds good, I guess WFtS and OoF aren't available under the old release by any chance?
No, apparently not.
paulmcneil

Post by paulmcneil »

Never mind, I'd join and play anyway, let's hope they get the new release working by then.
Paul McNeil
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

Can I request that, if the new version is still not adequate come the 1st of October, we proceed with the original version? Otherwise I fear we'll waste another year and a half with no competition in the hopes of a playable version being imminent.

Best Wishes

Mike
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

MikeMarchant wrote:Can I request that, if the new version is still not adequate come the 1st of October, we proceed with the original version? Otherwise I fear we'll waste another year and a half with no competition in the hopes of a playable version being imminent.

Best Wishes

Mike
I will have to make a decision at the beginning of September whether the new version is ready for competition play. At the moment we could not possibly use it for a tournament. If it is not ready by then the next date that the FOGDL could start is February 1st 2017. Sorry but I will not be running the tournament with the old version because "Wolves From the Sea" and "Oath of Fealty" cannot be played on it.
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

Is there really no chance that Slitherine Make OoF and WoS available for the old version of FoG?
Maybe if Pete ask,they Could consider the issue ...
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Season 5 of the FOG Digital League is postponed indefini

Post by stockwellpete »

As there has been no further progress with the fixing of FOG Unity and it remains in an unplayable state for multi-player, season 5 will not now start on October 1st. I think it is very unlikely that the Digital League will resume until we have FOG2 some time next year.
Okie
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Okie »

I don't see the problem? Why not just play with what we have useing the old version?? :roll: :? :( :?: Okie
paulmcneil

Post by paulmcneil »

I'd tend to agree, let's not fail because Slitherine can't get their act together, we've got a perfectly playable tried and tested old release, let's use what works. Unless there's some other reason why we can't. Otherwise it's a bit like refusing to take a train just because the planes aren't flying.
Paul McNeil
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Sorry everyone but I will not be re-starting the FOGDL with the old version of the game. There are not enough players now to run the competition on anything like the same scale as before (we used to get 80+ players). There are currently 4 or 5 smaller competitions and campaigns under way at the moment and there is no reason why this situation cannot continue until FOG2 is released next year. Once that happens I will talk to Slitherine again about sponsorship and promotion of the tournament.
paulmcneil

Post by paulmcneil »

Out of interest Pete, have Slitherine come back with any plan for sorting out V2? I may not have looked in the right places in the notice boards, but I haven't seen any updates from them since it all imploded on release.
Paul McNeil
hidde
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by hidde »

We're aware of the issues with the game :(

But the game is being worked on. It's not abandoned. Unfortunately the port to Unity was long and complex - the game's code had to be rewritten from scratch. The developers are fully focusing on fixing the bugs at the moment.
That's the one comment I've seen. It's from this thread:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 84&t=73719
paulmcneil

Post by paulmcneil »

OK thanks Pete.
Paul McNeil
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Just a quick update. If the Fog Digital League restarts in the future it will be using FOG2, which will be released sometime in the autumn this year. At the moment there is an intention to use the automated Slitherine tournament system and it may be the case that the FOGDL is no longer required. It is a question now of waiting to see what happens with FOG2. I am still willing and available to run the FOGDL but I would only want to start it when a number of time periods were available in the new format. Realistically, we are probably talking somewhere in the first half of 2018. I will let you know of any further developments.
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

Not a great surprise, really, given it's been 3 years since the last, on the basis that FoG Unity was just around the corner.

Best Wishes

Mike
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

The FOG Digital League will be returning!

Post by stockwellpete »

Another quick update. The FOG Digital League will be returning with FOG2 in due course. I don't have any details at the moment but I will be talking further to Slitherine in the next few weeks, I expect. I hope also to be able to re-launch the knock-out tournament as well. I will pass on any more details when I have them.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: The FOG Digital League will be returning! More details s

Post by stockwellpete »

The FOGDL is now migrating to the FOG2 forum and will resume as FOG2DL on February 1st 2018. More details to follow.

Return to “The FOG Digital League”