What new units would you like to see in the second allied dlc?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: What new units would you like to see in the second allied dlc?

Post by prestidigitation »

LandMarine47 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:39 am For the second DLC I also agree that it should focus entirely on the Mediterranean theatre and follow the Allied Armies into Italy at least until the final battle of Monte Cassino. In terms of units I think it would be nice to see Rangers replace the role that US Marines hold in the current roster for the US.
Disagree, unless we also get representation for the 10th Mountain Division. Maybe a non-aoe leader who gives mountaineering trait but can only be used on infantry would do that tho.
I do not think there is much in the way of new equipment that the US forces can employ however, but one idea is the implementation of airborne support units? for example, adding the airborne trait to certain support equipment like small caliber mountain guns and At guns for the later Airborne invasion scenarios that will start with Operation Husky. I am sure glider borne troops could also perhaps act as a type of Airborne heavy inf? Maybe even add the M22 locust to the airborne roster later. Overall if there are gonna be new units, I think for the pretty well established western allies, infantry will be the way to go.
Oh man gliders would be amazing. It'd enable all sorts of crazy stuff.

I'd only give them a short uptime or lock them to aux units, otherwise it'd be possible to drop a huge force right next to objectives while skipping everything in between.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Personally I think Marines should be inactive in the Allied trilogy, as they were used almost exclusively in the Pacific, not in the NA/Med/Euro theatre. Esp. DDay with Marines would be kinda funny (which is 3rd part of course)

However, I happily leave that decision to the cam designer.

A couple of the ideas in this thread are going to make it, but some only in the last part, not in the next. And then we have some units I haven't seen mentioned yet, so these might be nice surprises :)
Pwnerade
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Pwnerade »

Mine-flail tanks, hedgerow cutters, and more examples of Hobart's Funnies. Maybe there could also be fake units to distract Axis forces. The Allied deception campaigns are pretty fascinating (and funny) to read about.

I also hope to see Italians on the Allied side, and also the Brazilian Expeditionary Force. It was said that "It's more likely for a snake to smoke a pipe than for the FEB to go the front and fight." It's an expression similar to "when pigs fly." This resulted in one of the greatest unit patches in history.
800px-Brazilian_Expeditionary_Forces_insignia_(smoking_snake).svg.png
800px-Brazilian_Expeditionary_Forces_insignia_(smoking_snake).svg.png (18.23 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TheFilthyCasual »

bebro wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:25 pm Personally I think Marines should be inactive in the Allied trilogy, as they were used almost exclusively in the Pacific, not in the NA/Med/Euro theatre. Esp. DDay with Marines would be kinda funny (which is 3rd part of course)

A couple of the ideas in this thread are going to make it, but some only in the last part, not in the next. And then we have some units I haven't seen mentioned yet, so these might be nice surprises :)
Well, Meteors and Tiger tanks weren't in Burma either, yet they still saw fit to put them there.

I'm not saying they should be (I fact I don't think they should), but the designers clearly don't care about strict historical accuracy in that respect.
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

I second the proposition to include Brazilian Expeditionary Force, that fought battles in Center-North Italy.
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

bebro wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:25 pm Personally I think Marines should be inactive in the Allied trilogy, as they were used almost exclusively in the Pacific, not in the NA/Med/Euro theatre. Esp. DDay with Marines would be kinda funny (which is 3rd part of course)

I know in Sandstorm that the Bersaglieri and Alpini were essentially the same unit. I figured that Rangers would just be there for players that do not want to deploy Marines, since as you stated were all almost all fighting in the Pacific Theater. I would however love to see a Hide and Seek special operations scenario thrown into the campaign, and there is a lot of potential for such a scenario given the amount of commando raids the allies pulled off during the war. Maybe even some OSS/SOE operations with partisans.
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

prestidigitation wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:12 pm
LandMarine47 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:39 am For the second DLC I also agree that it should focus entirely on the Mediterranean theatre and follow the Allied Armies into Italy at least until the final battle of Monte Cassino. In terms of units I think it would be nice to see Rangers replace the role that US Marines hold in the current roster for the US.
Disagree, unless we also get representation for the 10th Mountain Division. Maybe a non-aoe leader who gives mountaineering trait but can only be used on infantry would do that tho.
I do not think there is much in the way of new equipment that the US forces can employ however, but one idea is the implementation of airborne support units? for example, adding the airborne trait to certain support equipment like small caliber mountain guns and At guns for the later Airborne invasion scenarios that will start with Operation Husky. I am sure glider borne troops could also perhaps act as a type of Airborne heavy inf? Maybe even add the M22 locust to the airborne roster later. Overall if there are gonna be new units, I think for the pretty well established western allies, infantry will be the way to go.
Oh man gliders would be amazing. It'd enable all sorts of crazy stuff.

I'd only give them a short uptime or lock them to aux units, otherwise it'd be possible to drop a huge force right next to objectives while skipping everything in between.
I would have to assume that the same rules apply to these support units where they cannot just drop at 10 efficiency, that being said supporting such a large drop would just be a bad idea if there weren't any supply hexes that could immediately be taken to supply the guns. I don't think they should keep the 3 reserve supplies of regular airborne infantry, since actual guns would run out of ammunition and supplies far earlier than the actual infantry.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Maybe in the third Allied DLC ?

LankyTornIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif
LankyTornIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif (945.03 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

TheFilthyCasual wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:34 pm

Well, Meteors and Tiger tanks weren't in Burma either, yet they still saw fit to put them there.

I'm not saying they should be (I fact I don't think they should), but the designers clearly don't care about strict historical accuracy in that respect.
You can certainly make arguments for both approaches. In the cams I create I try to find a healthy balance (or what fits my def of this), but I'm fully aware that stuff like this is a never-ending source for debate (which is absolutely fine).
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

To me, it seems that a fundamental difference between Bersaglieri and Alpini should be the latter´s ability to ignore mountainous terrain, which is absent, tough, in present unit´s abilities list.
Pwnerade
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Pwnerade »

The joint US-Canadian Special Service Force would be another great commando unit.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Pwnerade wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:51 pm The joint US-Canadian Special Service Force would be another great commando unit.
Speaking of Canada, I actually hope that they become a third core faction in the Allied DLC trilogy. I think it would be a nice change of pace unless the devs go for a dedicated Canadian campaign
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

LandMarine47 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:37 pm
Pwnerade wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:51 pm The joint US-Canadian Special Service Force would be another great commando unit.
Speaking of Canada, I actually hope that they become a third core faction in the Allied DLC trilogy. I think it would be a nice change of pace unless the devs go for a dedicated Canadian campaign
It would be nice
Battle of Ortona = Italian Stalingrad :wink:

But it seems to me only in the third part
I can't imagine Normandy maps without 3 factions: British, Canadian and US Army
Pwnerade
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Pwnerade »

Canada had their own beach on D-Day, so I'd hope they are represented as more than some token auxiliaries. The First Canadian Army also had Polish, Dutch, Belgian, and Czechoslovak units within their command. I hope the designers continue to reflect the multinational nature of the Allied forces (and make units for them).
prestidigitation

Pwnerade wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:21 pm Canada had their own beach on D-Day, so I'd hope they are represented as more than some token auxiliaries. The First Canadian Army also had Polish, Dutch, Belgian, and Czechoslovak units within their command. I hope the designers continue to reflect the multinational nature of the Allied forces (and make units for them).
I had the same reaction reading the bits about Canada - namely that they contained a lot of non Canadians - although I will note that the Polish contingent was substantially larger than the others and formed two full Corps (with the second one hitting the size of a small army with 100k serving by the end of the war), an airborne unit and an armored division. A scenario centered around the Falaise pocket complete with the heroic stand of 1 Pancerna against everything the desperate Nazis could fling at them would be awesome.

The FFL should also loom pretty large, ideally with a mission centered around the 2e Division Blindee’s drive to Paris and the volontaires picked up along the way.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

prestidigitation wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:59 pm
Pwnerade wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:21 pm Canada had their own beach on D-Day, so I'd hope they are represented as more than some token auxiliaries. The First Canadian Army also had Polish, Dutch, Belgian, and Czechoslovak units within their command. I hope the designers continue to reflect the multinational nature of the Allied forces (and make units for them).
I had the same reaction reading the bits about Canada - namely that they contained a lot of non Canadians - although I will note that the Polish contingent was substantially larger than the others and formed two full Corps (with the second one hitting the size of a small army with 100k serving by the end of the war), an airborne unit and an armored division. A scenario centered around the Falaise pocket complete with the heroic stand of 1 Pancerna against everything the desperate Nazis could fling at them would be awesome.

The FFL should also loom pretty large, ideally with a mission centered around the 2e Division Blindee’s drive to Paris and the volontaires picked up along the way.
There were more Poles on the Italian front: 2 infantry divisions and 1 armored brigade (transformed into armored division at the end of the war) + 1 fighter-reconnaissance squadron
On the Western Front, there was 1 armored division and 1 airborne brigade + 2 fighter wings stationed on the continent and a dozen squadrons (fighters and bombers) in the British Isles
TBH I think there is a chance for the Canadian faction, but I don't really believe in French or Polish

EDIT. Besides, the number of factions will also depend on the operations/battles that the Devs want to show
If it would be a path through Normandy, Belgium, Nederlands and central Germany, there were no French troops there
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TheFilthyCasual »

I doubt the Canadians will be core units; if they are, then it would only be fair to also have the French get core units. I suspect they will be treated the same as all the other non-British allies have been.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I like to play with captured vehicles, I hope there will be more.
prestidigitation

terminator wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:08 pm I like to play with captured vehicles, I hope there will be more.
I always upgrade them into main line units as they usually aren’t a good fit. Ex Stug for British when you have better SPART in Bishop.

Sole exception is the Marder you can briefly get in the Soviet campaign although that trigger seems really buggy.

I would play with a Tiger if I got one, but only if it came as a result of a secondary objective about needing to rescue a unit that had gone AWOL for a gold heist.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I take the captured units as they are knowing in general that they are bonuses and possibly I keep them in reserve.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”