What new units would you like to see in the second allied dlc?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: What new units would you like to see in the second allied dlc?

Post by GabeKnight »

The minor nations will never be core or get any commanders. Don't get your hopes up. There're not enough units in the faction's roster.

Unless there'll be some Belgian Uprising DLC or Netherlands Incursion DLC or Polish FirstStrike DLC.... :lol:
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

I'm wondering about Canada and France, which had their own armies in Western Europe
I rule out smaller factions, but even Canada and France are unlikely
On the other hand, the Canadians had the same equipment as the British and the French had the same equipment as the Americans
prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by prestidigitation »

If we’ve learned anything in this thread it is that everyone wants to have their groups represented as important and key to the fight, so the best way to do that is probably the way they’ve been doing: UK and likely US as core elements, whichever nations were present in a particular scenario as minor nations with income.

I WOULD however like to see some leaders related to the minor nations popping up for the majors. An Allied WW2 game that doesn’t offer Leclerc or Maczek as leaders is missing out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Maczek
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

kondi754 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:45 pm I'm wondering about Canada and France, which had their own armies in Western Europe
I rule out smaller factions, but even Canada and France are unlikely
On the other hand, the Canadians had the same equipment as the British and the French had the same equipment as the Americans
In this case it should not be very difficult to add units to these two factions Canadians and Free French.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

terminator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:57 am In this case it should not be very difficult to add units to these two factions Canadians and Free French.
We actually started to do this with 1st Allied already. Canada and other Commonwealth countries have much more in the roster since then compared to before, mostly Brit stuff. :)

Free France not so much yet, but it used lotsa US eqp late-war, so that's on the list certainly.

Beyond that, what get's added or not in more unique stuff for any of those is governed mostly by campaign-needs for Allied DLCs #2 and #3.
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

bebro wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:56 am
terminator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:57 am In this case it should not be very difficult to add units to these two factions Canadians and Free French.
We actually started to do this with 1st Allied already. Canada and other Commonwealth countries have much more in the roster since then compared to before, mostly Brit stuff. :)

Free France not so much yet, but it used lotsa US eqp late-war, so that's on the list certainly.

Beyond that, what get's added or not in more unique stuff for any of those is governed mostly by campaign-needs for Allied DLCs #2 and #3.
will there be a greater CP capacity for aircraft near the end if the third DLC? Kinda like the final scenarios of the original US and Japanese Pacific campaigns. There are so many different aircraft that an Anglo-American core can field, but I get that having a giant air fleet could ruin balance, especially with Strat bombers with 25+ shock value. Also, is there potentially any plans for an alt-hist path with a successful market garden, or will the DLC stick to historical scenarios?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I'm not doing the cam/scn design for the Allied trilogy, so I can't give you a definitive answer, but my assumption would be that you certainly get more Air CP over the course of the campaign indeed.

Balancing this should be still doable though, the German side may have less fighters late-war, but could receive a fair amount of AA units to counter Allied air still.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Unit-wise, we may not see a Cub, but a Grasshopper /insider ;)
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

- US Rangers - Not commandos
- Parachute capable Artillery, Engineers, Heavy Infantry (weapons companies), Vehicles, etc. per 101st and 82nd Airborne Table of Equipment (http://www.spearhead1944.com/amerpg/amer101.htm)
- Ability to set limits on individual units in the editor -- e.g., settings to prevent particular units getting stronger than 5 or so to simulate weaker formations such as companies, etc.

conboy
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

conboy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:35 pm - Ability to set limits on individual units in the editor -- e.g., settings to prevent particular units getting stronger than 5 or so to simulate weaker formations such as companies, etc.
Overstrengh units also :idea:
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

conboy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:35 pm - US Rangers - Not commandos
Why not as commando type? It seems to be the obvious choice. Otherwise it would just be another inf, probably stronger than vanilla inf at least in some fields, so people would spam it.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Bebro:
Why not as commando type? It seems to be the obvious choice. Otherwise it would just be another inf, probably stronger than vanilla inf at least in some fields, so people would spam it.
They should be at least as powerful as paratroopers so that they can take and hold difficult targets until relieved. I would make the Rangers as strong and (almost) as expensive as the paratroopers but with only one turn of embedded supplies and a very high shock/obstacle reduction value, and have CP of 3 not 4. I don't think folks would buy them so much as it would be very nice for scenario developers.
On further reflection, it would be a good idea maybe to give them the ability to do commando raids -- so a powerful infantry force that can conduct commando raids. I guess I'm confusing the issue now.

The logic is that the Rangers show up in many battles historically with important missions to seize and hold (sometimes for extended periods) objectives.

This way we wouldn't have to finagle with triggers to switch hex ownership or re-label paratroopers as rangers.

On another note, I think the M8 Greyhound scout vehicle should have two more movement points. It's not very good as a recon vehicle now.

Thanks for asking!

conboy
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

If it's about scn design you could always script checks for rangers holding a certain spot.

My idea so far would be: commando type, but with better forest move, other stats TBD.

But their details are certainly not set in stone yet, so may change still, and then we finalize them when there's a new beta (don't ask) :wink:
ubcbeer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ubcbeer »

L-3 Grasshopper recon aircraft for US :)
Pwnerade
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Pwnerade »

I'd make Rangers an elite infantry unit with Guerilla and Supply Stash, and make it so you can only have one.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

It would also be nice if Rangers and other Commando units could cross Escarpment hex-sides, ie Pointe du Hoc at Normandy.
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TheFilthyCasual »

Rangers are definitely commandos.

The issues people are having with making them so are really more a problem with how commandos function in this game than the fact they're being labelled commandos (which they were).
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

TheFilthyCasual wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 pm Rangers are definitely commandos.

The issues people are having with making them so are really more a problem with how commandos function in this game than the fact they're being labelled commandos (which they were).
I agree, the same kind as the Marines Raiders.
cutydt02
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by cutydt02 »

How about bulldozer ability for sherman tank ? Active it will reduce movement speed while destroying 1st mines encountered then halt ? Im tired of mines in North Africa....
And something further the damage to city/unit if we keep bombing them multiple uninterrupted times by strategy bombers as it happened irl ?
And i will love to see more variants of churchill tanks as PC
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

bebro wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm [...] when there's a new beta (don't ask) :wink:
But I do ask. It's about time, I think. I'm basically locked at home and could use something new.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”