What new units would you like to see in the second allied dlc?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

medkirtys
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

What new units would you like to see in the second allied dlc?

Post by medkirtys » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 am

I hope the dlc focuses on the US forces this time (operation Torch landings and all that). For infantry US rangers would nice to have. As for vehicles I have hard time coming up with something that isn't already in the game. Maybe the M1 combat car (later renamed as light tank M1). US forces never used it in combat but it was in service so would be nice to have the option for the sake of variety.

cutydt02
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: What new units would you like to see in the second allied dlc?

Post by cutydt02 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:54 am

First of all, the avro lancaster, my beloved units in PC:
I played US campaign long time ago so cant remember their unit roster very well. The 2nd allies camp may be right before the invasion of normandy - mid 1944, i hope to see super pershing, jumbo 76

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by kondi754 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm

TBH, I would prefer the game to feature equipment that was actually used during World War II, not some forgotten or prototype weapons.
OoB differs from the PC precisely in that it tries to be more in line with historical realities. In addition, wars are won with the equipment that is the most, not some wunderwaffe. :wink:

My suggestions for the 2nd part:

Spitfire in USAAF service in 1942/43, before more P-47s appeared
A-36 Apache/Invader (an assault/bomber version of the P-51 Mustang, used during this period over Tunisia, Sicily and later over Italy)
M10 Wolverine tank destroyer - switchable to artillery mode (later used mainly to directly support an infantry battalion on the battlefield as self-propelled artillery)
Mules as a transport, performed perfectly in the mountainous terrain of Italy
US Mountain troops on the Italian Front, there was the 10th US Army Mountain Division from the fall of 1944

It would also be nice to see the attack of Luftwaffe bombers equipped with rockets and guided anti-ship bombs on the Allied invasion fleet at Salerno and Anzio.

I believe that the 2nd part of Allies campaign should cover the fighting in North Africa, Sicily and the entire Italian campaign up to May 1945. It would be great 8) :wink:
The third part should start with the Normandy landing and cover activities in Western Europe.

medkirtys

Post by medkirtys » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:50 pm

kondi754 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm
TBH, I would prefer the game to feature equipment that was actually used during World War II, not some forgotten or prototype weapons.
OoB differs from the PC precisely in that it tries to be more in line with historical realities. In addition, wars are won with the equipment that is the most, not some wunderwaffe. :wink:

My suggestions for the 2nd part:

Spitfire in USAAF service in 1942/43, before more P-47s appeared
A-36 Apache/Invader (an assault/bomber version of the P-51 Mustang, used during this period over Tunisia, Sicily and later over Italy)
M10 Wolverine tank destroyer - switchable to artillery mode (later used mainly to directly support an infantry battalion on the battlefield as self-propelled artillery)
Mules as a transport, performed perfectly in the mountainous terrain of Italy
US Mountain troops on the Italian Front, there was the 10th US Army Mountain Division from the fall of 1944

It would also be nice to see the attack of Luftwaffe bombers equipped with rockets and guided anti-ship bombs on the Allied invasion fleet at Salerno and Anzio.

I believe that the 2nd part of Allies campaign should cover the fighting in North Africa, Sicily and the entire Italian campaign up to May 1945. It would be great 8) :wink:
The third part should start with the Normandy landing and cover activities in Western Europe.
OoB already has plenty of prototype equipment that was never used or in some cases never even built.

kondi754

Post by kondi754 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Yes, I know, especially in the last period of the war - jet fighters or super tanks (especially a lot of Japanese prototypes)
Unfortunately, that's the way it is, and I regret it very much.
When I play OoB, I remove it. :wink:

EDIT. But it is incomparably less in OoB than in PC and PC2

stevefprice
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stevefprice » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:40 pm

kondi754 wrote:
wars are won with the equipment that is the most, not some wunderwaffe. :wink:
Ever played World of Tanks? :lol:

kondi754

Post by kondi754 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:25 pm

stevefprice wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:40 pm
kondi754 wrote:
wars are won with the equipment that is the most, not some wunderwaffe. :wink:
Ever played World of Tanks? :lol:
Of course I haven't played but I know what's going on. :lol:

I also understand that for most players new prototype weapons are very attractive in the game and I also understand that it's fun to play with Abrams tank against T-34 or Panthers. :wink:
Nevertheless, I'm looking for something else in war games... more of an operational simulation

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:00 pm

A land based recon plane for the US faction that's not blue.

A twin-fuselage aircraft and/or more twin-boom planes. (They just look cool...)

And Soviet infantry not using the Japanese models anymore.

Pwnerade
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Pwnerade » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Quads, Lloyd carriers, SAS Jeeps, M3 Scout Cars. And then for the 3rd DLC, Kangaroo APC's, LVTs in British service, and Terrapin amphibious trucks.

I hope for more Free French representation (and units) in the next DLC. Maybe even as core forces, not auxiliaries. Same goes for Canada in the 3rd DLC.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton

kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:12 pm

SPAT for the British Forces. Archer and Achilles

rafdobrowolski
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by rafdobrowolski » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 pm

kondi754 wrote:
I love this campaign tree! It has not been done before to my knowledge, and would be a nice change to the terrain already explored PG, and PC1 (PC2 has been doing some awesome changes so we will see where they go with it...).

cutydt02

Post by cutydt02 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 am

I dont have problem with prototype, otherwise, its soooo boring at some last battles of USSR coz i dont have anything new to buy for almost a year. I played every campaign many times but still i have joy while checking purchased panel at the start

medkirtys

Post by medkirtys » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:01 pm

rafdobrowolski wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 pm
kondi754 wrote:
I love this campaign tree! It has not been done before to my knowledge, and would be a nice change to the terrain already explored PG, and PC1 (PC2 has been doing some awesome changes so we will see where they go with it...).
Yeah this campaign tree sounds great. I imagine it would look something like this: Operation Torch, Tunisia, Operation Husky, invasion of Italy, Gothic Line.

prestidigitation
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by prestidigitation » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:58 pm

I’d like the M3 Halftrack as a reconnaissance option. Mechanized recon units are extremely powerful.

Rangers as mountaineer equivalent would be nice.

Dual purpose M10 would be incredible and historical. Basically a better SU-76M.

I’d like to see the heavier US Artillery (both towed and self propelled) represented. For instance a US 203mm and 240mm gun: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/240_mm_howitzer_M1

medkirtys

Post by medkirtys » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:13 pm

prestidigitation wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:58 pm
I’d like the M3 Halftrack as a reconnaissance option. Mechanized recon units are extremely powerful.

Rangers as mountaineer equivalent would be nice.

Dual purpose M10 would be incredible and historical. Basically a better SU-76M.

I’d like to see the heavier US Artillery (both towed and self propelled) represented. For instance a US 203mm and 240mm gun: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/240_mm_howitzer_M1
The 240mm Black Dragon would be amazing to have. :D

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:30 am

medkirtys wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 am
I hope the dlc focuses on the US forces this time (operation Torch landings and all that). For infantry US rangers would nice to have.
I think it's a good idea, and one which has been on our radar too for some time. Whether we make them more like commando-style units, mountain inf, or a combi is not set in stone yet.

prestidigitation

Post by prestidigitation » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:14 pm

bebro wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:30 am
medkirtys wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 am
I hope the dlc focuses on the US forces this time (operation Torch landings and all that). For infantry US rangers would nice to have.
I think it's a good idea, and one which has been on our radar too for some time. Whether we make them more like commando-style units, mountain inf, or a combi is not set in stone yet.
The UK already has special forces so it’d be neat if that was a minor point of distinction.

terminator
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by terminator » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:31 am

More FREE FRENCH units and commanders !

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:39 am

For the second DLC I also agree that it should focus entirely on the Mediterranean theatre and follow the Allied Armies into Italy at least until the final battle of Monte Cassino. In terms of units I think it would be nice to see Rangers replace the role that US Marines hold in the current roster for the US. I do not think there is much in the way of new equipment that the US forces can employ however, but one idea is the implementation of airborne support units? for example, adding the airborne trait to certain support equipment like small caliber mountain guns and At guns for the later Airborne invasion scenarios that will start with Operation Husky. I am sure glider borne troops could also perhaps act as a type of Airborne heavy inf? Maybe even add the M22 locust to the airborne roster later. Overall if there are gonna be new units, I think for the pretty well established western allies, infantry will be the way to go.

terminator
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by terminator » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:58 am

LandMarine47 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:39 am
For the second DLC I also agree that it should focus entirely on the Mediterranean theatre and follow the Allied Armies into Italy at least until the final battle of Monte Cassino. In terms of units I think it would be nice to see Rangers replace the role that US Marines hold in the current roster for the US. I do not think there is much in the way of new equipment that the US forces can employ however, but one idea is the implementation of airborne support units? for example, adding the airborne trait to certain support equipment like small caliber mountain guns and At guns for the later Airborne invasion scenarios that will start with Operation Husky. I am sure glider borne troops could also perhaps act as a type of Airborne heavy inf? Maybe even add the M22 locust to the airborne roster later. Overall if there are gonna be new units, I think for the pretty well established western allies, infantry will be the way to go.
I agree that the Rangers should replace the Marines in the US faction :idea:

Return to “Order of Battle Series”