Kriegsmarine tips please

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Vorskl
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Kriegsmarine tips please

Post by Vorskl »

hello fellow OOB comrades, a PC2 fan here
Could you please share good AAR or walkthroughs / youtubes / advises for Kriegsmarine DLC?
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Kriegsmarine tips please

Post by CoolDTA »

I think Paradogs Gamer's Let's Play Kriegsmarine -series is worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgK6EsSiBFs
jakemon
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by jakemon »

I added an AAR for Kriegsmarine's Scenario 2 Norway. It starts out with some posting duplication flubs as the interface tried to defeat me. I ended up being able to include just one image per post. Now I need a big tall cold adult beverage...
cutydt02
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by cutydt02 »

Absolutely the worst dlc so far man. Naval battle for me not the good part of OoB, even it first builded around it. Most naval engagings will end with the airforce superiority and you know that German didnt have a real aircraft carrier for even a computer game (yeah i know the late spec, graf zep, but it left unfinished irl and most time u must use aircrafts in traditional way). And submarines, the only thing Karl Donitz can pround of, are totally useless. What can be worse ? Ya, a mission that you can only use subs....
jakemon

Post by jakemon »

I agree- there's a consensus subs are under powered and rather useless in OOB. In fairness, I have yet to find a good simulation of the Atlantic war on an operational level. Tactical games like Wolfpack tend to be first person oriented and arcade-ish. At the other end of the spectrum, Strategic Command offerings are, well, strategic.

The OOB naval scenarios do well at operational abstraction. Surely it's a question of taste. I like the naval battles- especially the ones involving land, air, and sea. Air superiority is as transient as the scenario designer allows, and as the player can get air resources focused. In fact, air plays a pretty minor role in the Kriegsmarine DLC.

Yup, Kriegsmarine scenario #3 "Atlantic Ocean" has the player in charge of a wolfpack attacking a convoy. One of OOB's strengths is it's malleability. This scenario nerfs the merchantmen such that they're sunk by a single torpedo attack or a couple of deck gun strikes (depending on movement). I think the designer pulls it off. Not a favorite, but interesting enough to play once in a while in the course of a campaign.

The left pic shows a torpedo strike (4 turns to reload!) and the right pic shows a deck gun after max surface movement.
Attachments
sub.jpg
sub.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 1469 times

Return to “Order of Battle Series”