how to destroy a bridge

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

gledder
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

how to destroy a bridge

Post by gledder »

I'm a newbie, with Winter War as my first DLC. I want to destroy a bridge using an engineer unit, and I can't figure out how to do it. I put the unit on the bridge and clicked the TNT icon on its unit panel. Nothing happens. Next turn the bridge is still there. I can't find anything in the manual or the forums. What am I missing?
Epperaliant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: how to destroy a bridge

Post by Epperaliant »

After you click the TNT button you need to click on the hex you want the engineers to retreat, then the bridge gets destroyed and the engineers will move, all in the same turn.
prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by prestidigitation »

Keep in mind that destroying a bridge over a frozen river is entirely pointless.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

prestidigitation wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:09 pm Keep in mind that destroying a bridge over a frozen river is entirely pointless.
True. There is no "spring thaw" in this game. :wink:
- Bru
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

I am curious, what's the penalties involved in fighting in rivers? All I know is that casualties get higher.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Rivers are among the most important natural obstacles you will encounter in the game. A unit always spends all its movement points to enter or exit a river hex. This means it takes three turns for a unit starting adjacent to a river hex to cross over and move away from the river. In addition, while sitting on a river hex a unit is highly vulnerable to attack. Crossing rivers near a strong enemy presence should only be attempted when strong artillery support is available. Whenever possible, bridges should be used to cross a river quickly and safely. They do not cause any movement restrictions but being attacked while on a bridge still causes a combat penalty. Bridges can be destroyed using the “Demolition Explosives” ability of specialized units such as Engineers. A hex with a destroyed bridge has the same penalties as a river hex without any bridge. Engineers also have the ability to create pontoon bridges. These have the same benefit as standard road bridges.
- Bru
prestidigitation

Post by prestidigitation »

Epperaliant wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:47 am I am curious, what's the penalties involved in fighting in rivers? All I know is that casualties get higher.
Unit in a river takes +1 casualty and does -1 to enemy. The cover % is usually zero and the attack/defend modifiers are usually 1:1 which means a tank attacking infantry in a river is going to shred it with no response, and a tank in a river is going to struggle against targets it would normally beat.

It is bad to be in rivers.
Pwnerade
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Pwnerade »

Does the combat penalty still apply when the rivers are frozen?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton

Return to “Order of Battle Series”