A few more units of ideas for the third Allied DLC (for the last time)

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

General Kranz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

A few more units of ideas for the third Allied DLC (for the last time)

Post by General Kranz »

Hello it's me again.
I've made a post like this a few months ago(viewtopic.php?f=264&t=106357). During this time I came up with a few more ideas :idea: .

Since the developers are sure to take a break after they publish the 2nd DLC of the Allies Trilogy and surely have their own ideas, this will be the last time that I will do such a post with a few unit ideas for the 3rd allied DLC.

This time it is a mixture of units that both the player (Allies) and the AI ​​(Axis) can use. There are 3 anti-aircraft units (2 x Allies, 1x Axis) and 2 Jet (Axis) units specifically for fighting ground units. While the Allied units are historically more or less correct, the German units are somewhat more or less "alternate history".

Canada
Skink anti-aircraft tank
This mobile anti-aircraft unit would only be available for Canada.

Little History: "Canadian, British and other Commonwealth troops needed protection from air attack from low flying aircraft. This Canadian built SPAAG (Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun) could provide that support. The Skink could also be used to attack enemy ground targets such as soft transport and lightly armored vehicles. The original program called for production of 135 complete Skink Anti-aircraft Grizzly Tanks for the use of the Canadian Army and an additional 130 Skink Anti-Aircraft Grizzly Tanks to meet British requirements.The armament consisted of 4 × 20 mm Polsten automatic cannon.

Development started in March 1943 and ended in July 1944. Production began in about mid-1944, but since the Luftwaffe was almost destroyed at that time, there was no longer any need for an anti-air tank. Only 3 were produced. These were still sent to the front at the Canadian amored Division to Europe, which from February 1945 until the end of the war were not used against aircraft but against infantry, where they were very successful."

As already mentioned, this AA unit would be exclusive to Canada, could be available to the player from mid-1944. It's about as armored as a Sherman and effective against smaller (low-flying) planes but weak against large (strategic bomber) planes. It can also be used against infantry and lightly armored vehicles (halftracks, amored cars).

British
Crusader AA Mk II[/b]
Little History: "After the North Africa campaign, the Crusaders were used less often as a front-line unit and some of them were rebuilt. For example as AA tank. The AA tank Mark II replaced the obsolete Mark VI AA tanks that had been in the four-vehicle anti-aircraft troop in a British armored regiment or infantry tank battalion. However, they were hardly used after Normandy, as the Luftwaffe was almost destroyed and therefore only a few anti-aircraft weapons were needed.They were armed with 2 x 20 mm Oerlikon Mk.II cannons."

This unit could be available immediately at the beginning of the third Allied campaign for the British. The Crusader AA Mk II, like most other mobile anti-aircraft units, is effective against small aircraft and Infnatry, but less so against large ones. It is also better armored than any other British anti-aircraft unit currently available in the game.

Germany Ground
Flakpanzer Coelian

Little History:" After the Battle of Britain and the massive losses of the German Air Force during Operation Barbarossa - especially during the Battle of Stalingrad and after the USA entered World War II - the German Air Force was increasingly put on the defensive. As a result, the threat posed by enemy fighter-bomber units to the German armed forces also increased.

As a consequence, the high command of the Wehrmacht gave the order to design an anti-aircraft tank based on the chassis of the Panther, which should take the changes of the war into account. The Rheinmetall company then developed the “Coelian” tower, in different versions, as the OKW kept making new demands and modern versions of the conventional anti-aircraft cannons had to be installed. Therefore there were several versions for a tower with the same code designation. A dummy was made, but there was no (series) production because in May 1944 the turret was to be designed for a 5.5 cm instead of the intended 3.7 cm cannon.

Once again, the production of this drawing board tank could not start because the landing in Normandy by the Allies, the increasing strategic bomber offensive of the Allies and the shortage of raw materials delayed construction. After all, a wooden model with the desired 5.5 cm twin cannon was set up around mid-February 1945. A prototype could not be completed"

This unit would be a bit of an "alternate history" since it was never completed next to a wooden structure,but It happened before in the series (Fiat P.43). However, you could let him appear, if you marched across the German border, a unit could appear to protect a some ground troops (panthers) from the huge allied air force. Compared to the other German Flakpanzer, it is better amored because the chassis is based on the Panther and not Panzer IV. The damage it inflicts could be compared to the Ostwind, but a little better (+1/2 points).

Some more pictures:

Germany Air

Short preliminary remark: I know that Germany already has a lot of jets (Ar 234, Me 262, He 162) in the game, but I now propose 2 examples to fill a category for Germany, which so far only Japan has in the game : A jet plane that will make hell for your ground troops (tactical bomber / ground attack aircraft)

Horton Ho 229
Normally I would write a "little history" here, but this time I don't do it because there is so much and only link a wikipedia article for those who are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229

While many know the Ho 229 only as a fighter, it was planned as a fighter-bomber or originally only as a bomber and only under the orders of the "Reichsluftfahrtministerium" were 2x 30 mm canons installed and should also play a role as a fighter. Although only 3 prototypes were created, it could still appear as an enemy air unit in the game when fighting in or over Germany. She could be found in the game as a fighter and classified as a "ground attack aircraft" and dropping bombs on enemy units. Compared to the other German jet units, this unit would be more effective for damaging ground targets.

Henschel Hs 132

An airbrush picture for the reconstruction of the Henschel Hs 132
Hull of the Henschel Hs 132 captured by the Soviets

Little History:" In view of the success of the dive bombers at the beginning of the Second World War, the construction of a dive bomber with jet propulsion was soon considered in Germany. The high-performance aircraft should be able to attack the overwhelmingly superior Allied tank units with the greatest accuracy. The result was the Hs 132, which was similar in design and structure to the He 162. Due to their special use, however, they were designed for accelerations of 12 G instead of the fighter's 8 G in order to be able to withstand the extreme forces when intercepting them from a dive. Therefore, the pilot was also accommodated in a lying position in the fuselage of the aircraft. From March 1945 they worked on three prototypes. When the Soviets took the factory, only the prototype for the Hs 132 A was ready."

There were several planned versions of the Henschel 132, the partially completed version Henschel 132 A had no MGs and only the later planned versions (B, C) did. Depending on the version, they should stick up to 1000 kg on bombs.

The Henschel would be deployed as a tactical jet bomber on the German side and attack our ground troops, but would be less effective against planes than the other jets.

That's it from my idea. As I said it is only a suggestion and can be used freely.

I apologize to all English speakers for my grammar. :oops:
I hope it is somewhat readable, if you still have questions or have not understood something, write to me. (i.e. in this discussion) and i will try to answer it.
I also apologize for the different sizes of the pictures, which makes everything look a bit strange.

I wish you all a nice day :)
cutydt02
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: A few more units of ideas for the third Allied DLC (for the last time)

Post by cutydt02 »

Talk about Jet fighter, i only think about Me-163s have some meaning in gameplay, other prototypes will just make the category more diversity because we just blindly use Me-262 for most time. Horten-229 can be much more interesting, a super interceptor can bring out even 1000kg bomb. It can introduce an extremely new mechanic to switch between strategy bomber and interceptor/close air support.
Just take a look on, well, war thunder's tech trees and devs can get a ton of ideas. Eg: Ju288 or Do-335

Return to “Order of Battle Series”