"Who's Kelly? Well he used to be a Lieutenant until he attacked the wrong hill" Allies Resurgent no discussion thread?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: "Who's Kelly? Well he used to be a Lieutenant until he attacked the wrong hill" Allies Resurgent no discussion threa

Post by conboy »

I thought the 4th scenario (Kasserine) was good too. This is the one before the big British battle for Tunisia. It looks a little intimidating at first, but I pressed two hard attacks from the north after I was able to scout out the Germans with the Grasshopper, and then started cutting off the Germans as they advanced West. Lucky break, I took the town in the east early, and that disrupted German supply. I think that helped but it was hard to encircle lots of units and keep them encircled, eventually I wore down any counterattacking forces and kept the ring shut tight.
Was touch and go in a couple of places, but overall it was a well-done, challenging scenario. I had taken the secondary objectives by turn 26 I think, and the Victory was awarded.
BTW, I could not hold Kasserine Pass for two turns, so only got a Victory. Still, was a fun scenario. Setting up the Brits at Mareth now.

conboy
prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: "Who's Kelly? Well he used to be a Lieutenant until he attacked the wrong hill" Allies Resurgent no discussion threa

Post by prestidigitation »

impossible wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:04 am im not sure if the the volturo line campaign was playtested on hardest difficulty. that scenario is just plain stupid, you cant use your air force at the most critical spots because the northern part of the map is littered with 3 star 13 str flak88-s and it is generally an extremely frustrating even after cutting off the western army from its suppies. the north eastern part of the map is full of 88-s & artillery along with the usual liberal usage of OP german armor, fortresses and rivers. the campaign is ridiculous from tunis (while being a breeze up to that) but the volturo line is way over the top.
I found it pretty straightforward on hardest because it’s a bog standard SEAD mission. I personally prefer commando + arty to spot and stop, but but you can use your P-38Js with 15 ground defense to strafe the shit out of most AA, then bomb it to bits with strats once it’s weak if you’d really like to just go ape with air. There’s pretty much no AA in the game that will survive that, especially heavy AA like the 88 with its piddly light air attack.

German armor is fairly straightforward to manage. As the US 2x M4 1x M10 is a very strong combo with the M4 fronting for the M10 reaction fire, allowing the M4 to trade even with the Pz4. For the UK Churchill Mk4 is effectively invulnerable.

Alternatively infantry backed by a 17lbr or M5 3in in AT mode will trade extremely efficiently with enemy armor. Ideally pop the infantry in difficult terrain for extra oomph.

In both cases 4x artillery pieces opening up on enemy armor reduces it to gibbering uselessness allowing your own armor to function as the clean up crew. I personally have 2x BL 4.5 and 2x 7.2in for the UK and 2x 155mm and 2x 105mm for the US (as well as an M5 3in). Arty go boom, enemy tanks hit ~5 efficiency, ggez.

Basically the only wrong way to engage German armor is a tank on tank brawl with zero prep bombardment/reaction fire. The M4 is a maneuver warfare dream, it doesn’t want that straight up fight.

The ideal outcome is German armor runs into the infantry and is forced to stop, gets mauled by the artillery and then cut off by the armor.
conboy

Post by conboy »

I just played Sfax scenario. I thought it was very well designed and fun to play. BUT I am tired of North African Scenarios, and I've still got one more. Didn't we have a whole North African campaign? I guess that was Afrika Korps.
Anyway, I'm impressed with this campaign.
I thought I was going to have to run around the map looking for bad guys, but it didn't turn out that way.
I thought the Germans could have defended the last town en route to Sfaz a little harder. They never shot back at my troops.
Nevertheless, it was a good scenario. The ones with US and Brits working together are fun.

conboy
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

I have arrived to Sfax scenario aswell Conboy, love the fighting so far in the campaign but I do have some critisism regarding the Primary and Secondary objective descriptions.
I my opinion the description of those are very difficult to get a hang of.
Like Sfax. Primary object: Kill all axis forces. Secondary object: Don't let axis forces escape 0/5 ? This is where I fail to connect in my brain (yes it's small and in bad shape but) what Axis forces am I suppposed to prevent from escaping? If I kill all I automati achive the econdary Objective? Where am I supposed to prevent from escaping? (Yes I know I have seen the exit hexes top of the map).

As I already mentioned this campaign is tough but I like that, what I don't like is having issues like what I just mentioned.
Cheers for a lovely game.
/Halvralf
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
conboy

Post by conboy »

Halvralf,
I didn't understand that one either, and I forgot to check and see if I got the objective or not.
The next scenario (Tunisia) has a confusing objective about preventing German reinforcements arriving. I found that if you kill 4 ships or planes on the way in, you get the objective.
I like the Tunisia scenario but there are a lot of units on both sides and it makes for a long-play scenario. I am tired of Africa and want to go to Italy!
Anyway, this is a very good campaign but the objectives should be clearer, as you pointed out. There is a large text box for each objective that could be used to clarify the objectives.

conboy
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

conboy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:01 pm The next scenario (Tunisia) has a confusing objective about preventing German reinforcements arriving. I found that if you kill 4 ships or planes on the way in, you get the objective.
During the Beta, I never managed to shoot down a single supply plane, but the supply ships were not too difficult to sink (playing in Difficulty IV).
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

currently on Tunis and I have been pretty happy so far. I think objectives are fair for the most part, I am just sad that SP points are so hard to come by. I think in order to really get the most out of the DLC's new specializations, you need to invest heavily into the air force versus potentially investing into sea borne landing craft for those later invasion scenarios. I haven't been able to play too much though, I am hoping a hotfix drops to fix the missing tools tips.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

I'm on Sicily now.
A lot of prestige points for US faction :shock:
20211016233301_1.jpg
20211016233301_1.jpg (947.12 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
jeannot le lapin

Post by jeannot le lapin »

Does the new Panzerwerfer 42 (PZW 42) appear in this last dlc (I haven’t finished this dlc yet) ?

PZW 42.jpeg
PZW 42.jpeg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

jeannot le lapin wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:37 am Does the new Panzerwerfer 42 (PZW 42) appear in this last dlc (I haven’t finished this dlc yet) ?

PZW 42.jpeg
Haven't noticed but probably not, I spotted Nebelwerfers only
conboy

Post by conboy »

I'm glad I'm playing Sicily on Level 3. My airplanes have been hit very hard and British supply has to rely on the warships. Daggom luftwaffe destroyed one Brit supply ship. German armor keeps hitting the Americans really hard.
It's a hard one! But there are lots of RPeez and if I can link up the Brits and US supply nets, I might be okay.
This is a challenge, but there's lots of turns to go.

conboy
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

The range of the French 75mm Modèle 1897 is really too large, it should be reduced by 1 :

75mmModèle1897.jpg
75mmModèle1897.jpg (988.29 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
Kasserine scenario
conboy

Post by conboy »

Sicily Breakout was good, so was Salerno. In Salerno, though, lots of time chasing last few secondary objectives. Took lots of casualties at first, but was an entertaining scenario.

My Brit faction is sucking wind for RPeez. Once all ground units are repaired, I dont have enough to replenish planes. Good thong the scenario has some auxiliary fighters!

conboy
conboy

Post by conboy »

Sicily Breakout was good, so was Salerno. In Salerno, though, lots of time chasing last few secondary objectives. Took lots of casualties at first, but was an entertaining scenario.

My Brit faction is sucking wind for RPeez. Once all ground units are repaired, I dont have enough to replenish Brit planes. Good thing the scenario has some auxiliary fighters!

conboy
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

conboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 pm Sicily Breakout was good, so was Salerno. In Salerno, though, lots of time chasing last few secondary objectives. Took lots of casualties at first, but was an entertaining scenario.

My Brit faction is sucking wind for RPeez. Once all ground units are repaired, I dont have enough to replenish Brit planes. Good thing the scenario has some auxiliary fighters!

conboy
There’s no one to capture images ?

eddiew10.jpg
eddiew10.jpg (253.2 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:15 am There’s no one to capture images ?
Sicily Landing / Husky:

Screenshot 349.jpg
Screenshot 349.jpg (916.15 KiB) Viewed 2412 times

Screenshot 348.jpg
Screenshot 348.jpg (987.47 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
conboy

Post by conboy »

You guys must be better players than I am. I only have 510 Brit, 395 Canuck, and 794 Yank RPs at the start of Volturno. Still enjoying it, getting mostly major victories. Missed two I think. Good campaign!

conboy
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

I just finished the campaign and I have a few points

1. There really isn't as much text info in the DLC compared to previous entries. I remember in earlier campaigns if you clicked on an objective a small text box would explain what will happen if you capture the obj. Overall I feel that this DLC was really cookie cutter with not a lot of creativity between the scenarios. Just your average clear the map and take points versus some of the more interesting objs of previous expansions. Almost no time limit objs just do them as so you see fit or kill X amount of units before they escape the map. I hope in the final DLC the expansions are not this stale in a sense.

2. There needs to be more specialization points for the US Faction. There are so many available spec points to take, but I ended this campaign with only 4 (Salerno was bugged and did not give me my 2 extra points so maybe I could have gotten 5.) I think a big appeal for the Western Allied campaign was a return to the massive naval invasions of the Pacific, but in order to invest into that tree, you pretty much have to give up buffing your Air Forces and regular troops because of how scare SP points are. I hope in the next patch they rework the US faction specifically. The British and Canadians were fine where they were. Ultimately, the US should have been fielding a much larger force than the British, but getting both factory specializations will rob the American core of most of the more interesting specializations.

3. Airborne Operations were a complete after thought in this DLC, and I don't know why. Even at Salerno the intro briefing states "the 82nd Airborne will land around Pasteum" but there isn't even an option to deploy paratroopers in the deployment mode like in the Operation Husky Scenario. Ultimately the exclusion of any meaningful Airborne operations in this DLC really let me down because if there was a campaign where OOB could show off a massive scale airborne operation, it was on the Western Front. I don't think core player Airborne units should be making up entire airborne operations.

4. Seaborne Invasions needed to be more interesting, like in the original US Pacific and Marine campaigns. This kinda links back into the boring secondaries issue, but why not replicate what those two campaigns did? Husky was great because there was a sense of urgency. The US had pretty ample supplies, but the Luftwaffe and Italians had supremacy over the skies, and the Germans focused their efforts on crushing them, while the British faced weaker resistance, but did not have the supplies to keep the entire invasion force supplied, forcing a link up of both beaches ASAP (Assuming players didn't go for an a-historical route and land the Brits in the west and Americans in the east.) Why can't invasion scenarios be divided into waves that necessitate completing a set of objs instead of simply landing your entire core in one or two turns.

5. (SPOILER) what does the end of this DLC mean? Gustav Line has the Allies cracking the line a full 4 months before they did historically, and this is all primary objs. I was honestly expecting taking Monte Cassino and Rome to be secondary objs, similar to Salerno where the main obj of the mission was to hold the beachhead, and expand if you have the strength to do so. Now with the line cracked, where will the final DLC pick up at? Will it follow Unity of Command II in a alternate Italian campaign where the Allies end the war in italy months earlier, or will the devs simply leave Italy out of the final DLC all together to keep a historical campaign? I personally prefer alt-history campaigns and I would love to see a what if branch if possible.

I thought Tunis was the best scenario of this campaign, since the Axis had many nasty surprised for players throughout the battle. My least favorite scenario was probably the Volturno line, since it was near the end of the campaign and had no interesting secondary objectives. Really hope the devs make some changes to at least some aspects of this campaign, since I feel that it was one of the most lackluster campaigns to date for OOB. I hope that the console releases weren't the cause for that.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Ok, campaign completed
I rate it very highly
However, it seems to me that some specialization points for US faction were missing :wink:
rome.jpg
rome.jpg (980.9 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
conboy

Post by conboy »

I liked the campaign too.
I concur that the US side needed more specialization points, and that there were ample missed opportunities to better utilize airborne troops.
But overall, it was quite an entertaining campaign.
Although, I did not play the last scenario after reading that it did not follow the actual history.

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle Series”