"Who's Kelly? Well he used to be a Lieutenant until he attacked the wrong hill" Allies Resurgent no discussion thread?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Halvralf
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

"Who's Kelly? Well he used to be a Lieutenant until he attacked the wrong hill" Allies Resurgent no discussion thread?

Post by Halvralf »

So as the new expansion is out I urge to you all, let's discuss the new DLC as been done in previous DLC releases.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
Halvralf

Re: "Who's Kelly? Well he used to be a Lieutenant until he attacked the wrong hill" Allies Resurgent no discussion threa

Post by Halvralf »

Starting form my own as usual poor performance.

I happily started the new campaign, imported my core from Allies Defiant and started first scenario. Damn....invasion...Operation Torch.... this ain't the eastern front....so I had to start analyzing and thinking (wich became disatrous doing both) but after a couple of restarts of the first scenario I realized that I had to plan ahead (as usual ofc) what my core force had to be. As we are in North Africa and I played both Sandstorm and Allies Resurgent I went for mechanised infantry x3, A Sherman a Bofors 40mm AA one artillery and a Heavy Inf mechanized.

After a couple of failures in the landing on the beaches I decided to drop the Paras almost where they start to capture the close by town to get a supplypoint as the Vicy French started to hammer the aux support ship at Beach Y. Better to get the Aux zones connect and with a supply point was my thought.

I failed with the secondary mission to take the port in 4 rounds otherwise it was a success.

Now get this thread rolling guys!

#edit : I play at Captain difficulty (all equal strength)
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: "Who's Kelly? Well he used to be a Lieutenant until he attacked the wrong hill" Allies Resurgent no discussion threa

Post by kondi754 »

The most important thing is the fighting spirit :) , let me give you another quote from this movie:

"Attack... attack... attack... listen to this guy, if he is a major, he is a colonel now!" :wink: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et1SkVldiHI

PS. Kilroy was here... :wink:
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

kondi754 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:30 pm The most important thing is the fighting spirit :) , let me give you another quote from this movie:

"Attack... attack... attack... listen to this guy, if he is a major, he is a colonel now!" :wink: :lol:

Hehe great to see you know where my quote came from Kondi!
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

All the tanks we come up against are bigger and better than ours, so all we can hope to do is, like, scare 'em away, y'know. This gun is an ordinary 76mm but we add this piece of pipe onto it, and the Krauts think, like, maybe it's a 90mm. We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures.
impossible
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by impossible »

Halvralf wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:55 pm Starting form my own as usual poor performance.

I happily started the new campaign, imported my core from Allies Defiant and started first scenario. Damn....invasion...Operation Torch.... this ain't the eastern front....so I had to start analyzing and thinking (wich became disatrous doing both) but after a couple of restarts of the first scenario I realized that I had to plan ahead (as usual ofc) what my core force had to be. As we are in North Africa and I played both Sandstorm and Allies Resurgent I went for mechanised infantry x3, A Sherman a Bofors 40mm AA one artillery and a Heavy Inf mechanized.

After a couple of failures in the landing on the beaches I decided to drop the Paras almost where they start to capture the close by town to get a supplypoint as the Vicy French started to hammer the aux support ship at Beach Y. Better to get the Aux zones connect and with a supply point was my thought.

I failed with the secondary mission to take the port in 4 rounds otherwise it was a success.

Now get this thread rolling guys!

#edit : I play at Captain difficulty (all equal strength)
just wait until you get to tunis and onwards, it is hell on earth. :D
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

Halvralf,
I did OK in the first scenario but lost my paratroopers -- couldn't even get close to them to help them out. But there are lots of RPs in this campaign for the allies, so I resurrected them and redeployed them. Overall the scenario was good but not too hard.
The objectives weren't clear on the second one, the instructions made me think I was to sit tight and wait for orders to pursue the secondary objectives. So I just cleared the areas around the starting points for a few turns, then realized I might be reading the objectives wrong (I was ...).
Anyway, got through the second one okay too. It was a good scenario from a design perspective, entertaining as well.
I'm playing on level 3, for my US Core I bought mostly regular infantry with half-tracks, one Sherman tank, one 105mm howitzer with truck, and one AA with truck.
So far so good.

Maybe we should move this thread to AAR? anyway I like the new campaign so far.

conboy

One trick I used in the second scenario -- there was an enemy pillbox next to an objective, I reduced it down to one and left it there so strong enemy units couldn't attack my position defending the town at the river.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Halvralf wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:50 pm
kondi754 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:30 pm The most important thing is the fighting spirit :) , let me give you another quote from this movie:

Hehe great to see you know where my quote came from Kondi!
I guess everyone here really likes this movie :)

Lost Sherman at Sidi Bou Zid despite having played this map 3 times before during beta testing :shock:
Get ready to buy lots of AT guns if you want to survive this campaign :lol: :wink:
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

conboy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:49 pm Halvralf,
I did OK in the first scenario but lost my paratroopers -- couldn't even get close to them to help them out. But there are lots of RPs in this campaign for the allies, so I resurrected them and redeployed them. Overall the scenario was good but not too hard.
The objectives weren't clear on the second one, the instructions made me think I was to sit tight and wait for orders to pursue the secondary objectives. So I just cleared the areas around the starting points for a few turns, then realized I might be reading the objectives wrong (I was ...).
Anyway, got through the second one okay too. It was a good scenario from a design perspective, entertaining as well.
I'm playing on level 3, for my US Core I bought mostly regular infantry with half-tracks, one Sherman tank, one 105mm howitzer with truck, and one AA with truck.
So far so good.

Maybe we should move this thread to AAR? anyway I like the new campaign so far.

conboy

One trick I used in the second scenario -- there was an enemy pillbox next to an objective, I reduced it down to one and left it there so strong enemy units couldn't attack my position defending the town at the river.
Medjez el Bab (second scenario) done. Agree with Conboy about the objectives.
I patiently hammered Maejez el Bab with artilley and sent my Paras and the Blades unit up the western road.
My infantry started to advance NE towards the
Tebourba gap and got hammered by the Stukas. Luckily my AA was able to almost kill one of them. Meanwhile the British advanced slowly and made contact with Italian heavy Infantry. Well all went ok until the counterattacks started...."A Tiger? In Africa?" Took heavy losses but managed to achieve all secondarys. Airport last turn :P . I need to get meself AT GUNS!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

There was a Tiger battalion in Tunisia indeed
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

kondi754 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:57 pm There was a Tiger battalion in Tunisia indeed
https://youtu.be/_oq0ynnxU4w
Pwnerade
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Pwnerade »

conboy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:49 pm The objectives weren't clear on the second one, the instructions made me think I was to sit tight and wait for orders to pursue the secondary objectives.
I also found that confusing. Is finishing the secondary objectives a primary objective? Will there be a prompt to advance to take them? I decided to attack, rather than wait. Patton would approve. I haven't finished the scenario yet, so we'll see how it goes.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Halvralf wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:40 pm
kondi754 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:57 pm There was a Tiger battalion in Tunisia indeed
https://youtu.be/_oq0ynnxU4w
Oh ok :)
Understand now, this Monty Python skit is not as iconic as the others so I didn't associate it :wink:
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

conboy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:49 pm I did OK in the first scenario but lost my paratroopers -- couldn't even get close to them to help them out. But there are lots of RPs in this campaign for the allies, so I resurrected them and redeployed them. Overall the scenario was good but not too hard.
I didn’t send the paratroopers(509th Parachute) to try to capture an airfield, it’s a suicide mission... I immediately deployed them and sent them to Beach Y.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Terminator, that was a good idea, especially not knowing the Allies would be flush with RPs (at least through Scenario 3).

Havralf, I thought the 3rd scenario was very good too. I think I lost 3 infantry units at the first crossroad but kept resurrecting them and putting them back - I held onto that crossroad till the end of the scenario. Germans wanted through there very very bad, but I held them off with regular infantry, an anti-tank gun, and a heavy infantry in the town.

I am waayyy infantry-heavy in my core, but it seems to be working okay. I need some more anti-tank and artillery...

conboy
impossible
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by impossible »

im not sure if the the volturo line campaign was playtested on hardest difficulty. that scenario is just plain stupid, you cant use your air force at the most critical spots because the northern part of the map is littered with 3 star 13 str flak88-s and it is generally an extremely frustrating even after cutting off the western army from its suppies. the north eastern part of the map is full of 88-s & artillery along with the usual liberal usage of OP german armor, fortresses and rivers. the campaign is ridiculous from tunis (while being a breeze up to that) but the volturo line is way over the top.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I found Kelly :lol:

Kelly.png
Kelly.png (472 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:21 am I found Kelly :lol:

Kelly.png
:D :D :D
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

So I came to third scenario, Sidi bou Zid. Who throw the bus at me?
I had to restart this as I got knocked out and lost my Sherman in 2 rounds and the germans ran over me! Bought me a Hellcat (the 57mm AT gun was to weak)and let the Engineers and the Paras blow bridges. Bought a B17 Strat bomber OMG I looove it! Blowing the bridges made this scenario a breeze after the 4 first turns but the 4 first where extremely hard! My Sherman was almost killed this time aswell.

My core is now 3x mech inf, 1x mech HW, 1x mech Eng, 1x Paras, 1x Rangers, 1x Sherman, 1x Hellcat, 1x 40mm Bofors AA, 2x 10.5cm Howitzer art. 2x Spitfire and 1x B17

#edit: I don't have a Hellcat, it's a Wolverine ofc.
impossible
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by impossible »

impossible wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:04 am im not sure if the the volturo line campaign was playtested on hardest difficulty. that scenario is just plain stupid, you cant use your air force at the most critical spots because the northern part of the map is littered with 3 star 13 str flak88-s and it is generally an extremely frustrating even after cutting off the western army from its suppies. the north eastern part of the map is full of 88-s & artillery along with the usual liberal usage of OP german armor, fortresses and rivers. the campaign is ridiculous from tunis (while being a breeze up to that) but the volturo line is way over the top.
it was not as bad as i thought first, definitely difficult campaign but very well made. an SBS on the western part was a life saver, took out a flak88 and the big gun. the eastern part is brutal but with 2-3 big british guns, an sbs and an sas it was manageable. 2 sbs and 1-2 sas 3 stars min. really helps.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”