Any chance to have functioning commandos?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Epperaliant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Any chance to have functioning commandos?

Post by Epperaliant »

So, I think that pretty much anyone agrees that commandos and special forces are close to useless.

They are very cool on paper and have potentially devastating abilities.
Now I get that they're not frontline units, but their attack value is shockingly low. I realized it while attacking Japanese citizen militia and getting a bloody nose.
I also get that you're supposed to use the "knife" attack, but even then damage is low and once they get return fire in the computer turn they still get excessive losses despite their traits.

So far their only uses I found was scouting and blowing up undefended bridge. Even the smallest amount of enemy resistance leads to considerable losses.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Any chance to have functioning commandos?

Post by terminator »

Epperaliant wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:37 pm So, I think that pretty much anyone agrees that commandos and special forces are close to useless.

They are very cool on paper and have potentially devastating abilities.
Now I get that they're not frontline units, but their attack value is shockingly low. I realized it while attacking Japanese citizen militia and getting a bloody nose.
I also get that you're supposed to use the "knife" attack, but even then damage is low and once they get return fire in the computer turn they still get excessive losses despite their traits.

So far their only uses I found was scouting and blowing up undefended bridge. Even the smallest amount of enemy resistance leads to considerable losses.
I completely agree with the "knife" attack.
This special "Knife" attack is useless in the present state; on the contrary, it is a waste of resources. I don’t remember using it once, maybe at the very beginning to test it once...
I do not know to what extent this function can be moded (?)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

How does exactly work the Special Ops trait ?

It uses the stats of the Commando Unit ?

The sneak attack should work as for torpedoes, cost nothing but be disabled for some turn after use :idea:
Last edited by terminator on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:35 am How does exactly work the Special Ops trait ?

It uses the stats of the Commando Unit ?

The sneak attack should work as for torpedoes, cost nothing but be disabled for some turn after use.
I don't know the the mechanics behind but the attack is as weak as the normal attack, you are essentially paying to get no retaliation.
Still, won't do anything against a full efficiency unit, even Japanese citizen militias wipe the floor with them.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Epperaliant wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:45 am I don't know the the mechanics behind but the attack is as weak as the normal attack, you are essentially paying to get no retaliation.
Still, won't do anything against a full efficiency unit, even Japanese citizen militias wipe the floor with them.
The only solution would be to increase the attack stats of the Commandos ?
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:51 am
Epperaliant wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:45 am I don't know the the mechanics behind but the attack is as weak as the normal attack, you are essentially paying to get no retaliation.
The only solution would be to increase the attack stats of the Commandos ?
That would be a start, they are supposed to be highly trained soldiers and watching them trumped by civilian militia was beyond ridiculous.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I only use them to destroy very weakened units, destroy bridges, provide support to other attacking units or sometimes I send them for reconnaissance but with caution.
Last edited by terminator on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:07 am I only use them to destroy very weakened units or destroy bridges...or sometimes I send them for reconnaissance but with caution.
Engineers are cheaper and have better attack.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Epperaliant wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:10 am
terminator wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:07 am I only use them to destroy very weakened units or destroy bridges...or sometimes I send them for reconnaissance but with caution.
Engineers are cheaper and have better attack.
But the Engineers have trouble moving far...
impossible
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by impossible »

the special boat service is pretty useful in the new allied campaigns to take out flaks and artillery along the coast, in fact mandatory for the volturo line scenario along with the sas. once they hit 3-4 stars they dont need the knife attack anymore. i agree though that in their present state they are way too expensive.

the knife attack should be zero, should retreat at once and their vision radius should be expanded because once they are discovered they are dead.
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

The price could be fine but then they should have stats at least on par with regular infantry.
DeathMutant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by DeathMutant »

impossible wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:32 pm the knife attack should be zero, should retreat at once and their vision radius should be expanded because once they are discovered they are dead.
+1 to this idea. The Knife attack could be like placing a minefield where the unit moves one square after completing the task. Ideally, the Commando could use this movement to get outside of the view range of the victim, should it survive, thus enhancing its elusiveness. To compensate for eliminating the Prestige cost, the Knife attack could have a recharge time like 2 or 3 turns.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Rangers in Medjez el Bab :

Rangers.jpg
Rangers.jpg (351.08 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
cutydt02

Post by cutydt02 »

i know that commandos' special ability is already extremely long but they should be longer to make special units become more useful.
Like enable the ability to sabotage, only making morale dmg and increasing supply needed. Run & gun: cause chip dmg then retreat to safe position. Place smaller mine: Just stop enemy, cause dmg to morale, but no dmg. Or the ability to increase dmg to soft target (truck, arty or such).
As my idea, they should be the best to sabotage behind enemy backline, scout or reduce enemy morale or supply.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

They operate outside of own territory/supply, can not be seen and attacked by enemy mechanical units, arty, AT, bunkers and foxholes (unless spotted by another unit first), give 10 shock and can even attack without retaliation for meager 10RP. What's there not to like about them?

Sure, they are commandos and NOT frontline units... :roll: :wink:
prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by prestidigitation »

I’ve said in the past and will say again, commandos are pretty good BUT they require planning to get value out of them. The big advantage is the ability to dump them wherever by sky (or in some cases boat) and have them spot stuff or kill arty/aa/bunkers in relative safety.

They’ll lose to infantry and armor and this is a good thing? It’d be really irritating to have an invisible highly effective combat unit that is only 2CP.

0 risk spotting and especially 0 risk damage on arty is extremely valuable when up against high damage high range German arty protected by heavy AA, especially in scenarios like the Tunisia one where there are multiple stacked together.

Also I’m fairly confident that it literally isn’t possible to get a major victory on Arakan in Burma Road without solid use of commandos to clear bunkers and arty in advance of maneuver units. Otherwise you end up too bogged down to make the incredibly strict timeline.
DeathMutant

Post by DeathMutant »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:51 pm Rangers in Medjez el Bab :

Rangers.jpg
US Rangers are normal recruitable units and are quite effective. I believe this conversation is about the extra units that you can recruit with the UK specialization "Special Services" even though both can be considered commandos.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Rangers seem to be more than normal units, they are commandos :

Rangers(2).jpg
Rangers(2).jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

PS: I hope we’ll have the pictures soon for The Unit Navigator Tool :?
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

Had a chance to try them in the Marines' campaign.

One positive note is that they cannot be spotted by stuff like fuel depots.
Wonder if it could work on bunkers too, they could be used to soften-up strongholds by chipping at them while you deal with other threats.
LynxCom
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by LynxCom »

Epperaliant wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:40 pm Had a chance to try them in the Marines' campaign.

One positive note is that they cannot be spotted by stuff like fuel depots.
Wonder if it could work on bunkers too, they could be used to soften-up strongholds by chipping at them while you deal with other threats.
Spec Ops. cannot be spotted by bunkers or MG pillboxes.

Like said before - they are not standard frontline units. You must have a good point and a plan why and how to use them. Ideally you should conduct (air?) recon before their deployment behind enemy lines.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”