Developers, it's not a big deal, but ...

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Developers, it's not a big deal, but ...

Post by bru888 »

... apparently there was a reason why units.csv was grouped by faction, and then by category.

Beginning with the Allies trilogy, new units began to be inserted in a separate group at the end of units.csv, as shown here:

Image0600.jpg
Image0600.jpg (415.3 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

These new units now appear in the scenario editor at the very end of every faction's list of available units, without regard to what category they are in. For example, here are two new German units (highlighted above) that are not grouped with air or land units; they appear after the generic structure units:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (209.32 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

Even if category filters are in place, this rocket launcher is not included with other artillery units:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (194.2 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

and this bomber is similarly out of place at the end of the line, beyond reconnaissance and rescue planes:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (197.27 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

Not a problem for players, of course; just an inconvenience for us handful of designers. Official and community.
- Bru
bru888

Re: Developers, it's not a big deal, but ...

Post by bru888 »

I wonder if it is as simple a fix as inserting all of these new units into the proper faction and category groups in the rows above?
- Bru
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

I think it’s still a temporary version, it’s easier to fix in the current form. PZW 42 with staticFire :shock:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

To be honest, I don't know what the trait "staticFire" means but I did do an experiment that proves what I am saying.

I moved those two new German units to the proper faction and category groups and now they appear in the scenario editor in a more appropriate fashion:

Image0602.jpg
Image0602.jpg (156.22 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (196.62 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Image0604.jpg
Image0604.jpg (184.28 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (192.01 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

So the concept is correct. Now the caution: The first time that I attempted this, the game was compromised. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but there was something out of whack. The second time, I moved each unit row one at a time, very deliberately, and it came out right.

The thing is, I don't have enough expertise to know for sure whether doing a seemingly simple edit in units.csv like this will affect anything else in the game. It appeared to be alright on the second try, but I take no chances. Therefore, the official units.csv file goes back into place and I will await the developers officially rearranging things if they see fit.
- Bru
jeannot le lapin

Post by jeannot le lapin »

bru888 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 pm To be honest, I don't know what the trait "staticFire" means but I did do an experiment that proves what I am saying.
StaticFire means that the unit can not fire after moving but PZW 42 is a mobile artillery. The smoke trail left by the combustion of the rocket propellant powder during its departure was a visible clue to counter-battery fire from the opposing artillery. Also, mobility became a major asset for the protection of rocket launchers.

PZW 42.jpeg
PZW 42.jpeg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

bru888 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 pm ... apparently there was a reason why units.csv was grouped by faction, and then by category.
These units will be grouped in the same way when there's a bit time, it was just faster (and easier in case of adjustments) for now to put them at the end.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

bru888 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 pm Not a problem for players, of course; just an inconvenience for us handful of designers. Official and community.
For the US Reconnaissance units in the latest DLC, it’s a bit of a mess :

US Recon.jpg
US Recon.jpg (150.18 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

jeannot le lapin wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:15 am
bru888 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 pm To be honest, I don't know what the trait "staticFire" means but I did do an experiment that proves what I am saying.
StaticFire means that the unit can not fire after moving but PZW 42 is a mobile artillery. The smoke trail left by the combustion of the rocket propellant powder during its departure was a visible clue to counter-battery fire from the opposing artillery. Also, mobility became a major asset for the protection of rocket launchers.
I appreciate the definition, thanks. I don't think that this trait is actually being used, but I could be wrong. The reason I am saying this is that I don't see a definition of "staticFire" anywhere in the english.txt files, but perhaps it actually is in effect and has just been left undefined.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:48 am
bru888 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 pm Not a problem for players, of course; just an inconvenience for us handful of designers. Official and community.
For the US Reconnaissance units in the latest DLC, it’s a bit of a mess :
Oh, so you are saying that the player can also see the effects of this, not just the designer.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bebro wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 am
bru888 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 pm ... apparently there was a reason why units.csv was grouped by faction, and then by category.
These units will be grouped in the same way when there's a bit time, it was just faster (and easier in case of adjustments) for now to put them at the end.
Thanks, it would be appreciated.
- Bru
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:37 pm
terminator wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:48 am For the US Reconnaissance units in the latest DLC, it’s a bit of a mess :
Oh, so you are saying that the player can also see the effects of this, not just the designer.
Yes, the order of units inside the units.csv file directly affects the order of units in the purchase-screen for the player.

bru888 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:35 pm I appreciate the definition, thanks. I don't think that this trait is actually being used, but I could be wrong. The reason I am saying this is that I don't see a definition of "staticFire" anywhere in the english.txt files, but perhaps it actually is in effect and has just been left undefined.
Ahem...like every artillery unit in the game has this trait (not the mobile ones, obviously). :wink: ( :P )
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:52 am Ahem...like every artillery unit in the game has this trait (not the mobile ones, obviously). :wink: ( :P )
So it's as I said; it's in the game, obviously, but just not defined anywhere. It doesn't show in this window, for example:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (111.52 KiB) Viewed 1760 times

There is a direct correlation of tow chassis = staticFire and track/wheel <> staticFire. Oddly though, the results are mixed for halftrack and mountain chassis. I wonder if that is intentional. If listing the trait itself determines static fire, then there is not a perfect correlation between immobile vs. mobile artillery and the staticFire trait.

Image0609.jpg
Image0609.jpg (615.68 KiB) Viewed 1760 times

But now I understand jeannot le lapin's objection to listing staticFire for the PZW 42. Again, intentional?
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 am But now I understand jeannot le lapin's objection to listing staticFire for the PZW 42. Again, intentional?
Apparently not. The trait has been removed in version 9.0.7.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Thank you to the developer(s) who took action on this request in version 9.0.7. Most of the new units added in the past couple of patches that were listed at the end of units.csv have been moved to their proper locations, grouped by faction, and then by category. The remaining new units, New Zealand and South Africa, happen to be in their own faction groups. Allied truck belongs to several factions.

Image0623.jpg
Image0623.jpg (768.91 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Image0624.jpg
Image0624.jpg (747.68 KiB) Viewed 1599 times

Much appreciated.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”