Missing Pins on the Campaign map? (CHOISEUL-BOUGAINVILLE / USMC DLC)

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Epperaliant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Missing Pins on the Campaign map? (CHOISEUL-BOUGAINVILLE / USMC DLC)

Post by Epperaliant »

I cannot help but having the feeling that the game sometimes doesn't acknowledge the hard earned secondary objectives I take.

Sometimes is just a feeling, but now in the Bougainville scenario of the marine campaign I clearly cannot see any pin indicating that Japanese forces should have less numbers because I blew up 4 oil depots instead of 3 in the previous mission.

Is that normal?
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Missing Pins on the Campaign map?

Post by bru888 »

It appears to be vestigial in that the developer(s) intended to do something with that objective in 4-USMC-CHOISEUL to affect the situation in 5-USMC-BOUGAINVILLE but either neglected to follow through or abandoned the idea without going back to correct the mission description in question.

You are talking about this secondary objective:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (492.43 KiB) Viewed 974 times

Here is the associated trigger. The dead giveaway is that there is no "Set Campaign Variable" effect included:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (491.26 KiB) Viewed 974 times

And there is no mention of any such campaign variable in the triggers of the next scenario. Without this, there is no way of "distract[ing] more Japanese forces away from the initial landing zone in the upcoming invasion of Bougainville."

Here is where they provided for the pin on the campaign map in case four fuel depots were destroyed on Choiseul:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (452.51 KiB) Viewed 974 times

But you are not seeing a campaign pin for the mere reason that the "choiseul_fuel_destroyed" campaign variable was never set by the secondary objective in 4-USMC-CHOISEUL. Perhaps this is for the better because, this way, the player will not be looking for something to be different in 5-USMC-BOUGAINVILLE.

Except if one remembers the mission description in 4-USMC-CHOISEUL, as you did, obviously. :)

The easiest solution to this is to alter the description of "Destroy 4 Fuel Depots on Choiseul" and perhaps offer a different prize, like a few Resource Points.
- Bru
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

Thanks, that was some nice modder/detective work, again!

Afterall, that was a very easy objective. I got lucky with the depots' spawn locations and got two of them very close.
By the way, I always had the feeling that some scenarios had some randomized elements at start, like enemy units spawning in different locationd or attacking from different sides. I suppose this was pretty obvious for a modder like you.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Epperaliant wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:21 pm Afterall, that was a very easy objective. I got lucky with the depots' spawn locations and got two of them very close.
By the way, I always had the feeling that some scenarios had some randomized elements at start, like enemy units spawning in different locationd or attacking from different sides. I suppose this was pretty obvious for a modder like you.
Funny that you mention this. While I was in there, I did notice this trigger that randomizes the positions of the fuel depots at scenario start. But yes, such randomizing placement has to be programmed, and it can get quite tedious very quickly depending on the number of units and permutations involved.

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (602.08 KiB) Viewed 948 times
- Bru
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Yep, good find, both of you. Thanks.

I've looked into the "5-USMC-BOUGAINVILLE" scen, and there seems to be nothing prepared for any campaign-variable, so there won't be any easy fix for this.

Nevertheless I would suggest to move this thread to tech support. [Gameplay Bug] [Marines DLC, 4-USMC-CHOISEUL, no sec. obj. reward] [v9.0.6]

This should be fixed, however the devs want to go about doing it. Adding a different reward (RP, spec points), simply changing the text of the sec. objective or actually adding a trigger into the next scen.
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

Anyone who can, feel free to move the thread.

I don't think it's a critical issue, I suppose it was like this since release. They might as well remove the secondary objective.
Apparently, it took an obsessive-paranoid dude like me to notice :D
bru888

Re: Missing Pins on the Campaign map? (CHOISEUL-BOUGAINVILLE / USMC DLC)

Post by bru888 »

Per your request, Epperaliant, I have moved this thread to Tech Support while checking the option to "Leave shadow topic in place" which is why, although the thread is technically in Tech Support, you still see it in the general forum as well. Notice that I focused the topic by adding some information to the subject line.

On behalf of the developers,thank you, "obsessive-paranoid dude," for detecting and reporting this issue. It's dudes like you who help make this game better. :)
- Bru
Epperaliant

Re: Missing Pins on the Campaign map? (CHOISEUL-BOUGAINVILLE / USMC DLC)

Post by Epperaliant »

:D

I am a paranoid masochist and I am playing at max difficulty, if the game skips even the most meager reward I am going to notice!

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”