Dynamic, random generated or skirmish mode

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

SpaceAce
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Dynamic, random generated or skirmish mode

Post by SpaceAce »

Hey all

About to pick up a couple more DLC while sale continues as I am really enjoying how this game plays (console), however I did go back in time on these forums for replayability-like topics and have a question. While each bundled DLC pack has ‘dynamic elements’ based on how scenarios play out and unit losses etc AND based on how you choose to compose your core force, just how replayable will this all be in the future? I know I played the original PzG many times through, and while there were some branches in next scenarios, the game played out similar and unit locations being known took away much of the INITIAL surprise you had on your first play through. While I kept doing it back in the day is a testament that it was still ‘fun’ I fear this platform will have the same issues and maybe even more linear?

I note there were posts, even from the devs I believe, that a skirmish mode was in final stages and was looking very good (I think back in 2015!), just needed some AI tuning and balancing. I have since read that this hit the block and was fully chopped as a potential option. What happened? Or is it still in the works and possible? Would it even change anything for play really? I guess Sudden Strike 4 had a mode like this that was “ok” so I read. I have not tried that mode personally in that game as something about that game always makes me fall off of it when I play... and again another case of the scenarios and unit placing are already ‘known’ the next time you play for the main campaign. OoB however has captivated me in a different way - I love the way it plays and “feels” much like how I felt with the original PzG. However, a bit of dynamic-ness or randomness would be MOST welcome... even if it was just where units were located or the enemy’s composition to add a possibility of freshness for each replay.

Is there stuff still being looked at related to this with this series? If so, would it even come to the console version? I realize there is a METRIC TONNE of content and playtime within the DLCs as they are fairly extensive and provide many hours it appears even on a single play through, but would still be keen for any advances in randomness to keep things fresher. The DLCs certainly appear well made, thought out and tuned for optimal gameplay, but they are an investment. If something ever so small could be introduced to change for following play throughs (besides the player changing up cores) to even in a small way catch you off guard or by surprise would be great. Beyond that, a pure random skirmish map mode or even a loose string of tied random generated maps or scenarios (think ‘boot camp’ which are not real events but played well) would be awesome! The DLC would still be the “stars” and add the available weapons/factions to then be able to incorporate for these if you buy them.

I guess buying a movie ticket or rental for the similar entertainment price is no different for value... once you watch it it doesn’t change either the next time, LOL
SpaceAce

Re: Dynamic, random generated or skirmish mode

Post by SpaceAce »

I just picked up Sandstorm and the prequel/sequel “Sun” DLCs to add more to the collection.... as I have said, I’m in on this hook-line-and-sinker at this point (and still really only finishing up the bootcamp intro stuff as yet). I will save the last half or so DLCs for some future PSN sale I hope... the 7 plus Blitzkrieg that comes with base is enough for the CCard this round I think... LOL

In reading about and watching the Steam trailer for Sandstorm, they advertise as new to the series (at that time), having more dynamic situations based on gameplay and their outcomes over static/same map, next static/same map, next.... etc? Is this unique to Sandstorm, Sandstorm and beyond, or maybe stuff retrofitted back to previous DLC released earlier?

Let me know what is the case and what it’s all about ... I plan to start with Winter War (for real after the bootcamp stuff), as it appears to be the ‘first’ released DLC, but undecided now that I’ve picked a few more up. US Pacific seems to be in early iterations of the game prior to free-to-play on PC. As I said, Blitzkrieg ships with console. I’m curious to see or know at the very least how core units move from one DLC to another (not just within a DLC) as I thought I read this actually is an option to look forward to? Hoping it’s not a PC only perk... It does appear the save/watch a replay is NOT part of the console port - at least that I’ve seen or found. Not sure what other differences there may be between PC and console.
SpaceAce

Post by SpaceAce »

My mistake, it appears the dlc order was Morning Sun, US Marines, Rising Sun, US Pacific, THEN Winter War.... so I have each of these, maybe that is the order of possible play to be ‘authentic’ to the series?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

There is an empty folder RandomMaps in My Documents :

Capture1).JPG
Capture1).JPG (54.45 KiB) Viewed 885 times
SpaceAce

Post by SpaceAce »

Interesting. So it was definitely a feature in the “like to add” category then. I doubt it will show up on a console port even if it did hit PC. Not sure of all the differences between PC and console versions yet (save replay seems to be one thing I note missing so far)? The PC version has a scenario editor/creator no? That is also not in consoles as far as I know.

Any other differences you have seen (mostly missing I presume) on console? I will not be buying over again on PC I doubt, so I’ve ‘made my bed’ so to speak LOL
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

The basic game is free on PC. To use the editor, play many homemade scenarios, play multiplayer... you just need to buy ONE DLC. With the current promotion, the DLCs are really cheap !

Return to “Order of Battle Series”