Iwo Jima - All Supply Ships at half strength???

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

kverdon
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Iwo Jima - All Supply Ships at half strength???

Post by kverdon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:36 pm

Just started the Iwo Jima part of the Marine Campaign. I noticed that all my supply ships are at 1/2 strength (5) and sure enough once I land my troops they are out of supply. Is this by design? If so WHY? The scenario is set in 1945, yes, 1945 not 1942. There is no possible historical justification to explain WHY the supply ships should be at 1/2 strength. There is also no message in the briefing about it. If it is an error in the scenario it should have been caught at testing, if it is by design it is pretty dumb.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Iwo Jima - All Supply Ships at half strength???

Post by adherbal » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:41 pm

I'll have to double-check the scenario, but IIRC the reason is two-fold:
- The US can't just dump everything on the beaches right away, but must consolidate some land (supply sources) to build up their invasion force.
- Japanese kamikaze aircraft will attempt to sink Supply Ships to weaken the US invasion force. This wouldn't have any effect if the combination of coastal supply (from the ships) + captured land sources is too high.

kverdon

Post by kverdon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Yes, please do check the scenario and perhaps adjust it as the way it stands it makes completely NO SENSE! To add insult to injury, I am notified 3 turns in that more resources are available and I can land more troops. I get added command points but get no new supply ships??????????????? Even better I get the same message a few turns later when I capture Mt. Suribachi Why make addition command points available (now 25) if I cannot land and SUPPLY THE TROOPS I HAVE??? As it stands I can't land a dog much less a dogface on the beach without going out of supply.

mhladnik
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by mhladnik » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Gee, calm down :D Make some progress on land first and capture more supply on the island itself, then you will be able to support more troops on the ground.

kverdon

Post by kverdon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Yes that is the plan of course but the biggest problem I have with this expansion is that it is too "gamey". A lot of historical accuracy has been lost due to attempts at play balance. Having US Supply issues in 1945 is ridiculous. I have a feeling that they have made the supply ships more fragile to make them one shotable by the Kamikazes. Again a "Gamey" workaround. I also have an issue in that the expansion requires you to purchase engineers but the only engineers available for the entire game are US Engineers 1942? I'm sure that the engineers got a TO&E upgrade sometime before the end of the war.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Having US Supply issues in 1945 is ridiculous.

Actualy, unloading sufficient supplies on the beaches was a problem throughout the war. No different from Iwo Jima, where the Japanese beach defenses pretended to be knocked out until the US starting deploying more and more on the beaches. Only then did a massive barrage of mortars, artillery and MG fire unleash, casuing major chaos on the beach.

Having the US without any supply problems during any of the island invasions would not be realistic nor interesting for gameplay. With ever growing Japanese defenses and ever growing US invasion forces it remained a challenge for the US, regardless of whether it's 1945.

I have a feeling that they have made the supply ships more fragile to make them one shotable by the Kamikazes. Again a "Gamey" workaround.
Are you really saying that in reality a supply ship wasn't "one shotable" :-)

And we never claimed this was a war simulator. It IS a game. But it does pay much closer care about reality than you seem to suggest.

PanzerTax
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by PanzerTax » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:37 pm

The designers deserve a lot of credit for this game, I say it has moved the genre forward.
Favourite Games Before Panzer Corps: Pacific General, People's General, Panzer General II... pure magic!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”