Blitzkrieg 1939-40

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Fall Weiss+Weserübung+Fall Gelb= Blitzkrieg 1939-40

Post by Horst »

Isn’t it totally unfair that you can gain a commander in Wyszogrod if you fail somewhat in Piatek while heroic defenders there gain no one in Kampinoska Forest afterwards?
Boy I’m glad I didn’t hold the Piatek hex for one turn and caused a supposedly miserable draw as result, no matter if I owned all objectives in the end or not.
And I thought the victor belongs to the spoils. I guess here the greenhorn is the ultimate victor in everything; it is he that gets the most out of life.

I've already failed miserably Wyszogrod destroying all but the three tanks for the commander, but I won't give up!
My first approach was to invade the pocket which worked pretty fine until that bridge blew up which denied my quick access to the last three tanks.
I think I'm totally going straight only for tank kills while protecting only my airfield, a single primary objective and critical supply points. The city Wyszogrod and its rail bridge is too difficult to conquer without much unit strength loss because of the massive reinforcements from the right, so I better dig-in in the lower-left corner. My three Stukas need to focus on destroying the tanks this time.
Absolutely nothing is more important than gaining commanders, no matter if you only get a Draw in the end. :D

PS: Uh, that was a kamikaze-run to the last three tanks, but it was worth it. It was quite difficult to punch through the many infantry units with some sacrifices: https://picload.org/image/rllocrow/manfred.jpg
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horst

Post by Horst »

The scenario of Wyszogrod isn't necessarily that difficult if you keep defending the river line. The major difficult is killing 12(!) Polish tanks in 18 turns for the commander which hide between a mass of cavalry and infantry units. I doubt that waiting on the river line would actually make it possible to kill even half of that many tanks by just Stukas and artillery. The commander-objective would be much more easier without the last three tanks in the very north there.
As far as Eric added the same commander in the alternative major-victory path in Kampinoska, killing all these trains will certainely be much more easier that I never want to play Wyszogrod anymore.

Denmark: after the intensive battle against the Soviets in Brest, I had barely any RPs left and my units were totally battered from that battle. As early 1940 already offers some upgrades, I carefully suggest increasing the player's starting RPs somewhat. The income/turn is 35 at moment what is okay so far, but only if you mainly focus with your core units on the east side where the most dramatic battles take place.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Wyszogrod: Changed Polish tanks to be killed to 6.

Campaign updated
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Erik wrote:Wyszogrod: Changed Polish tanks to be killed to 6.

Campaign updated
Seemed fine as it was. It was quite doable on medium difficulty with several turns to spare.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Wyszogrod: the 9 tanks inside the river-enclosed pocket would have been fine as secondary objective. 6 doesn't sound enough to be worth of a commander. The scenario isn't that fun anyway.
The vanilla Polish TKS have a lower defense than mine, that's why I need more time to kill them with my modded stats. :)
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Eben-Emael: there seems to be a trigger issue with the first objective as it never completes.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Eben-Emael first objective definitely bugged. It's a question mark and then becomes a red X once captured. Also, the captured forts appear instantly now but in strange places because there are often units in the way. I think they did not appear in earlier version until the flag was fully raised on the objective.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Albert Canal: Something is broken here from previous version. The AI makes no moves at all, they just sit and do nothing. When I hit end turn it is instantly my turn again, the AI doesn't even think. I am playing v3.6.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Eben-Emael: Expanded the first objective to include the forts.

Albert-Canal. The editor in all its wisdom decided to set all AI teams to Idle... :evil: And all AI team descriptions were blanked. :twisted:
It will take some time to recreate the original AI orders.

Edit: Campaign updated
Denmark: Reduced number of turns and increased rate of Danish mobilizations.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik wrote:Albert-Canal. The editor in all its wisdom decided to set all AI teams to Idle... :evil: And all AI team descriptions were blanked. :twisted:
I experienced something like this when designing my scenario, and I made the same faces. In my case, it happened when I deleted some AI teams when tidying up. You don't see it right away, but the next time you open the scenario, ALL the teams are gone AND the units are removed from the map. That was my experience, anyway. Thank goodness for backups.
- Bru
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

bru888 wrote:
Erik wrote:Albert-Canal. The editor in all its wisdom decided to set all AI teams to Idle... :evil: And all AI team descriptions were blanked. :twisted:
I experienced something like this when designing my scenario, and I made the same faces. In my case, it happened when I deleted some AI teams when tidying up. You don't see it right away, but the next time you open the scenario, ALL the teams are gone AND the units are removed from the map. That was my experience, anyway. Thank goodness for backups.
I rather "disband" AI team if I do not want it any more. Meaning set it to idle, erase descriptive name and just skip it. I can go back to it later and use it for something else if needed. Also do note if you remove carrier and/or hangar with aircraft in it your AI team will still list those aircrafts as existing.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I never delete AI teams whenever I use a single player scenario as basis for a multiplayer.
The MP works fine with units linked to an AI Team.

The troublesome Albert scenario only had some changes with objectives done, no units etc were touched. That was why I was so miffed when all AI team orders were set to idle. Good thing the units still were linked to teams, then it was not too much work reconstructing the teams.
BTW, I had this bu gonce in the Kriegsmarine beta as well.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Maybe there​ are some testing units that were meant to be removed left in the campaign. Lodz I think added a recon unit in my core and Eben-Emael added a Bf 110D too.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Albert Canal: AI is working now, solid scenario. One issue is the 'Captured Airfield' objective is not working. I presume for the same reason as it was an issue on Poznan when you switched from the Airstrip unit to the Airfield terrain. Also, might I suggest that instead of awarding the player an air unit, you award them 3 additional air deployment points. By this point in the campaign the players air core is established and very experienced so a rookie air unit is of little value since they could buy a new unit with more experience with the specializations.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Den Haag: this scenario is doable as is but the para element needs some tweaking. They cannot defend Ypenberg as they are surrounded by 3 artillery units and multiple tank & infantry units. After much trial and error I got them to survive by attacking Rotterdam which puts the allies into negative supply. Once the airfield is lost it cannot be retaken as the trigger does not recognize a recapture. I would recommend starting the paras entrenched in the surrounding forests with some AT defense. The 3 destroyers offshore should be half strength as well, they are just too strong vs the lack of ship killers available.

Other thoughts about the scenario... I'm really in favor of removing the auto bridge destructions. It's really annoying how any enemy unit can trigger the destruction but I have to engineers to repair them which takes at least 3 turns. The northern bridge is blown in the deployment phase when I place a unit nearby. Same thing happens on Albert Canal. Player could use some additional air deployment points as well. The Dutch can muster 6 air units for the battle but the mighty Luftwaffe only 4.
stecal
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by stecal »

I agree about Den Haag. I pretty much stopped playing the campaign at this point it seemed so unbalanced. The paras have absolutely no chance of survival.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Blitzkrieg 1939-40

Post by prattaa »

Sedan: Very challenging scenario in OOB engine. Player could use a few more ground deployment points to start, maybe 4. 18 turns is not enough to capture the objectives. By turn 18 I had finally broken their back at Sedan as the AI just kept attacking from all directions. It took me another 5 turns to break out and start securing the west bank objectives. 25 turns should be enough for most players.

The Raucourt objective is bugged, it shows completed at the start of the scenario.
Erik2

Re: Blitzkrieg 1939-40

Post by Erik2 »

Albert Canal: fixed airfield objective, reward = air command points

Haag: Replaced 7.5cm art with Fallschirmjäger unit, added supply on the drop-zones, added 6 air command points and 3 air deployment hexes near the FJs.

Sedan: increased turns to 25, fixed Raucourt objective. added a few more land command points

campaign updated.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”