Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Post Reply
DeathMutant
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by DeathMutant » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:21 pm

I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find it. :oops:

Can I deploy a paratrooper as an airborne unit and not on the ground? I know that I can, during the battle, move them to an airfield and "jump on a plane" but can I do that during initial deployment?

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 3385
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by bru888 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 pm

DeathMutant wrote:I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find it. :oops:
That's because you did not read my manual! :(

To quote myself:
Capture262.jpg
Capture262.jpg (410.45 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
EDIT: On second thought, you may be asking about gameplay, not scenario design. The answer to the question, then, is "No."
- Bru

DeathMutant
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by DeathMutant » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 pm

I knew you could do it with the scenario editor but was more interested for deployment while playing a scenario.

This makes the purchase of paratroopers for my core army less likely since it wastes valuable time -- especially if there are no airfields near the deployment area -- to "mount up." Bummer

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 3385
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by bru888 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Just to make sure I did not put foot in mouth about the gameplay aspect of this, I did a test scenario. I could not place the paratrooper on the plane even though there was a nearby airfield with ample supply available. I could only deploy the paratroopers on land.
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
- Bru

DeathMutant
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by DeathMutant » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:15 pm

When I get home tonight, I will try the technique that, I believe, was supported in Panzer Corps: Toggle the Air/Land layer to "Air" if you want to deploy paratroopers in transport planes and "Ground" if you want to deploy paratroopers as ground troops. Panzer Corps had a different mechanic that limited the use of air transports so this may or may not work in OoB.

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 3385
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by bru888 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 pm

DeathMutant wrote:When I get home tonight, I will try the technique that, I believe, was supported in Panzer Corps: Toggle the Air/Land layer to "Air" if you want to deploy paratroopers in transport planes and "Ground" if you want to deploy paratroopers as ground troops. Panzer Corps had a different mechanic that limited the use of air transports so this may or may not work in OoB.
I did not think of that possibility! Please let us know.
- Bru

Mojko
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by Mojko » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 am

DeathMutant wrote:I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find it. :oops:

Can I deploy a paratrooper as an airborne unit and not on the ground? I know that I can, during the battle, move them to an airfield and "jump on a plane" but can I do that during initial deployment?
Yes, it can be done. You need to deploy the paratroopers on the ground on an airfield. Then select the paratroopers and click on the plane icon in the unit menu. Warning: This action costs 20RPs and is non refundable.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 3385
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by bru888 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Mojko wrote:
DeathMutant wrote:I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find it. :oops:

Can I deploy a paratrooper as an airborne unit and not on the ground? I know that I can, during the battle, move them to an airfield and "jump on a plane" but can I do that during initial deployment?
Yes, it can be done. You need to deploy the paratroopers on the ground on an airfield. Then select the paratroopers and click on the plane icon in the unit menu. Warning: This action costs 20RPs and is non refundable.
I don't think that is what he was asking. You are talking about the normal embarkation procedure for when you have a paratrooper unit moved to or already on an airfield hex. What I believe he is asking is, can you deploy a paratrooper from reserve directly to a transport plane, already in flight? That I don't think we can do but he said he would experiment last night; something about toggling to the "Air layer" view before attempting to do this.
- Bru

DeathMutant
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by DeathMutant » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Well, the Air/Land layer toggle idea did not work. The layer is automatically selected -- and forced -- when the unit is selected. That is a bummer but not totally surprising due to the lack of a balancing mechanic like Panzer Corps' air resource availability. I guess I will never purchase any paratroopers for my core because they are too difficult -- and expensive (due to the "fee" for boarding an aircraft) -- to utilize in a campaign. For specific scenarios it might be worth it but not for a campaign.

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 3385
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by bru888 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Yes, it is a bummer, but thanks to you it now becomes a "design improvement suggestion."
- Bru

Mojko
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by Mojko » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:35 pm

bru888 wrote:
Mojko wrote:
DeathMutant wrote:I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find it. :oops:

Can I deploy a paratrooper as an airborne unit and not on the ground? I know that I can, during the battle, move them to an airfield and "jump on a plane" but can I do that during initial deployment?
Yes, it can be done. You need to deploy the paratroopers on the ground on an airfield. Then select the paratroopers and click on the plane icon in the unit menu. Warning: This action costs 20RPs and is non refundable.
I don't think that is what he was asking. You are talking about the normal embarkation procedure for when you have a paratrooper unit moved to or already on an airfield hex. What I believe he is asking is, can you deploy a paratrooper from reserve directly to a transport plane, already in flight? That I don't think we can do but he said he would experiment last night; something about toggling to the "Air layer" view before attempting to do this.
I'm pretty sure you can do this during deployment phase. If your goal is to have a paratrooper in a plane during deployment phase please follow my instructions.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

DeathMutant
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by DeathMutant » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Mojko wrote:I'm pretty sure you can do this during deployment phase. If your goal is to have a paratrooper in a plane during deployment phase please follow my instructions.
This works but it requires an unoccupied airfield that is available for deploying land units; the airstrip, with the hangar and watchtower, is insufficient for this purpose . Once you pay the 20RP to board the aircraft, you can relocate the transport plane (Junkers Ju-52) to just about any other hex available for deploying land -or- air units; I am not sure why some hexes are not allowed. If you sell your paratrooper unit back you do not get a refund for the 20RP boarding fee so choose wisely.

Mojko
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by Mojko » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:59 am

DeathMutant wrote:
Mojko wrote:I'm pretty sure you can do this during deployment phase. If your goal is to have a paratrooper in a plane during deployment phase please follow my instructions.
This works but it requires an unoccupied airfield that is available for deploying land units; the airstrip, with the hangar and watchtower, is insufficient for this purpose . Once you pay the 20RP to board the aircraft, you can relocate the transport plane (Junkers Ju-52) to just about any other hex available for deploying land -or- air units; I am not sure why some hexes are not allowed. If you sell your paratrooper unit back you do not get a refund for the 20RP boarding fee so choose wisely.
Good point, but I guess this was sufficient for me during my playthrough. To be honest I only used paratroopers only in the Rising sun campaign. I think they should allow to use to "board plane" action even when paratroopers are in reserve which would switch them to plane transport. I would also suggest to remove the boarding fee, I don't think it's necessary.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

terminator
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2994
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Deploying paratroopers in-flight

Post by terminator » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 am

Do you know "Operation Brücke" with Fallschirmjäger (German Paratroopers) ?
Test my scenario : http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 80#p681220
It is an historical paratrooper operation in Greece in 1941 (Corinth Canal).
Para.jpg
Para.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
This secondary objective in this scenario could be a full scenario (reference to the game Conquest of the Aegean : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=123).

Post Reply

Return to “Order of Battle Series”