Long time fan looking for a return to wargaming

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Snake97644
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Long time fan looking for a return to wargaming

Post by Snake97644 »

As I played through the Panzerkrieg campaign I slowly felt my enjoyment ebb. While most scenarios were engaging, from Stalingrad on I started to get that sense that what I did mattered little. Kerdon (?) noted in another post about the odd objectives and rewards in the relief of 6th Army scenario. I noticed other things, such as crushing the Soviet attack well outside of Kharkov only to have some how lost it in the next scenario. It all seems very deterministic, like a reenactment rather than a war game.

My real point is to once again ask for a campaign that has branching scenarios, were the actual success of the player set up varied scenarios, much like the old Panzer General series did. Also I wish that the developers would allow for an alternate history end to the German campaign just as they did for Japan in Rising Sun. I thought this was sorely missing in the winter war and blitzkrieg scenarios, and only megerly provided for in the Kriegsmarine. I felt like this might finally happen after ending the Kursk mission, as the debrief message suggested the Germans had regained the initiative. This would greatly improve the quality of game play, and make OoB a war game again instead of a reenactment.
Sartarius1
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Long time fan looking for a return to wargaming

Post by Sartarius1 »

As already answered, it is pointless to do a branching campaign. The point is that 99% of players HATE loosing and either quitting or reloading after loose. Panzer Corps devs said that very minor amount of players actually played some missions from original PC campaign. And after that they did only some branching to add replayability. So lots of scenarios just left unused.
IMHO OoB used the same schema. No point at all in branching campaign for majority of ppl.
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

Snake97644 wrote: Also I wish that the developers would allow for an alternate history end to the German campaign just as they did for Japan in Rising Sun. I thought this was sorely missing in the winter war and blitzkrieg scenarios, and only megerly provided for in the Kriegsmarine. I felt like this might finally happen after ending the Kursk mission, as the debrief message suggested the Germans had regained the initiative. This would greatly improve the quality of game play, and make OoB a war game again instead of a reenactment.
Yes, I'd like an alternative history DLC, too. And since a lot of people seem to think the same way, there's a market for this. Which means there may be some. But probably way in the future.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Snake97644 wrote: Also I wish that the developers would allow for an alternate history end to the German campaign just as they did for Japan in Rising Sun.
Nothing is finally decided on this yet :)

But for example if we allowed ppl to decide the campaign in Russia at Moscow 41 we'd have missed out all the interesting battles 42-43 from PK.

Of course the more you wait for an ahistorical end the more it becomes a stretch...but as said, it has not been ruled out to provide a hypothetical victory option.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bebro wrote:

But for example if we allowed ppl to decide the campaign in Russia at Moscow 41 we'd have missed out all the interesting battles 42-43 from PK.

Of course the more you wait for an ahistorical end the more it becomes a stretch...but as said, it has not been ruled out to provide a hypothetical victory option.
Why not do a separate DLC? Starts with Moscow 41 (winnable), then in Afrika as Rommel (El Alamein winnable), then land in England, then the US. 3-4 missions each, new tech for the US invasion. High difficulty. After all the other DLCs are done, of course. Would sell.
Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 »

Andy2012 wrote:
bebro wrote:

Why not do a separate DLC? Starts with Moscow 41 (winnable), then in Afrika as Rommel (El Alamein winnable), then land in England, then the US. 3-4 missions each, new tech for the US invasion. High difficulty. After all the other DLCs are done, of course. Would sell.
Ок. I'll buy this necessarily
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

Andy2012 wrote:
bebro wrote:

I expect Korean War after all II WW's DLC are done. :wink:
As you probably know, I'm not a fan of alternative scenarios, let's leave it for modders, it's a waste of time. :twisted:
Of course, it's just my opinion.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

+1 alternate outcomes, but hopefully not in a separate DLC.

And - underway in a larger campaign - it wouldn´t have to alter the entire course of the war, it could just be an extra "what if"-mission or two along the way.
Snake97644

Post by Snake97644 »

bebro wrote:
Snake97644 wrote: Also I wish that the developers would allow for an alternate history end to the German campaign just as they did for Japan in Rising Sun.

True, well happy to know that it is at least up for discussion
Snake97644

Post by Snake97644 »

Andy2012 wrote:
bebro wrote:

Agree.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”