Unit Navigator Tool

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Unit Navigator Tool

Post by Mojko »

terminator wrote: Would not it be possible to make an independent mini-program ?
With PureBasic for example whom I know, it would be not too difficult I think ?
You're welcome to do that :). I think majority of people actually prefer a web version since you don't need to download and install anything on your computer.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Mojko wrote:
terminator wrote: Would not it be possible to make an independent mini-program ?
With PureBasic for example whom I know, it would be not too difficult I think ?
You're welcome to do that :). I think majority of people actually prefer a web version since you don't need to download and install anything on your computer.
You're probably right.
I am going to try to make it for my mod (Forgotten Units), but it will not be for at once.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

Can someone please explain to me how the new movement points work? Lot of units got their movement points doubled but the behaviour in game is almost the same. I assume that the movement calculation precision was increased by raising the base number of points to double of the original since road factors use decimals. Not all units got their movement points doubled, though. I need to update movement calculation logic in the Unit Navigator Tool as well. I have to postpone the update of UNT until this is clear.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi,

I'll have to ask the team about that, but my guess would be that you're at least partially correct and it's for allowing more flexibility in the movement points for the different environment types.

Arid was added as an environment, and also "Sandstorm" as a weather. I would expect that both of these have an impact on MP and maybe they needed more room to tweak values?

Ta
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

IIRC it's oonly the Halftrack unit class that got double movement points. As compensation the move cost values for this type where (more or less) doubled as well.

However it turned out this does still not offer the subtle differences in movement distances we'd like to have. For a next update we're most likely moving to decimal movement point values when making pathfinding calculations.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Very looking forward to the updated Unit Navigator!

I only start a new campaign after knowing the upgrade paths of units. No pressure, Mojko, as I'm still playing Pillars of Eternity 2, but make sure you finish soon!
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

adherbal wrote:IIRC it's oonly the Halftrack unit class that got double movement points. As compensation the move cost values for this type where (more or less) doubled as well.

However it turned out this does still not offer the subtle differences in movement distances we'd like to have. For a next update we're most likely moving to decimal movement point values when making pathfinding calculations.
Thanks for the clarification, however, I don't see the changes in the data file to reflect this. Note that I never edit any game files that I import into UNT. This is how the changes look like on chassis.txt.

I will try to figure it out today. I might even publish the new version of UNT without this change as it's still helpful.

I'm also a little bit confused about the data files since now there are CSV data files available for chassis as well, but chassis_arid.csv is actually empty. I assume they will be used in the future, but are not used for now.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

UPDATE: I managed to fix the issue with the movement points. I'm switching to CSV data files for chassis as these are rebalanced properly to reflect the new movement points change. The arid chassis file is empty so I'm using the dry chassis file as a fallback, which I assume the game is doing as well.

I have the UNT update ready and will publish it once I get home from work.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Thanks a bunch, Mojko!
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

Yes as you have figured out by now, we've switched to CSV format because they are easier to manage (in Google Sheets or other tool) than long txt files.

And the game will use the values specified in chassis.csv as default if nothing is specified in chassis_<climate type>.csv
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

adherbal wrote:Yes as you have figured out by now, we've switched to CSV format because they are easier to manage (in Google Sheets or other tool) than long txt files.

And the game will use the values specified in chassis.csv as default if nothing is specified in chassis_<climate type>.csv
That's good to know :D, thanks . I prefer the CSV files as well as they are easier to parse in general.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-05-17

- game data files updated to version 6.1.7
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-06-07

- game data files updated to version 6.1.8

See the diff page for more details.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks, Mojko, as always much appreciated. :)
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-06-08

- all JavaScript code migrated from JQuery to React
- top and bottom pagination bar work exactly the same way
- added GET params sanitisation (filters, pagination and compared unit)
- game math corrected (no longer produces infinity values in some cases)
- terrain window redesigned and is now much more readable
- data cache improved (more data is now cached)
- fixed a glitch when tooltip was causing weird visual artifacts in some cases
- pagination bar buttons reordered for better access
- unit attributes that are not present on all units are now displayed only if the unit has a positive value of such attribute
- JavaScript file loading switched from blocking to non-blocking

See the diff page for more details.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Link to the unit navigator doesn't seem to get load anything but the title? Is it just me?
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

13obo wrote:Link to the unit navigator doesn't seem to get load anything but the title? Is it just me?
Please post a screenshot of the screen you see, ideally also the network tab. What OS / browser do you use?
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

13obo wrote:Link to the unit navigator doesn't seem to get load anything but the title? Is it just me?
Looks normal to me now. Maybe you were trying to look at it while it was being maintained? (To Mojko's point, this is Firefox 56.0.2. Yes, I got tired of the constant Firefox updates, so I froze mine.)
Capture1308.jpg
Capture1308.jpg (575.76 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
It may not be a bad idea to clear out your browser's cache. This is how it looks in Firefox (History, Clear Recent History):
Capture1309.jpg
Capture1309.jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
- Bru
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Thanks for the tips, guys. Unfortunately, the page still doesn't work after clearing the cache on my Internet Explorer at work and at the Chrome browser at home. Screenshot of view I get:
Attachments
Empty Unit Navigator Screenshot.png
Empty Unit Navigator Screenshot.png (26.52 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

You might have javascript disabled?

Return to “Order of Battle Series”