Order of Battle meets Steel Panthers ???

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Order of Battle meets Steel Panthers ???

Post by gunnyjs »

Remember that old old wargame Steel Panthers - Uh, a dos game ok anyway what was so Intriguing about it among other things is that when a unit engaged another unit the likely hood of them causing damage was dependent upon the distance that they were engaging the enemy at. The likelyhood of a unit hitting another unit also was dependent upon the weapons the unit had and the distance. For example, an infantry unit that did not have any long range weapons like a machine gun type weapon but only single shot stuff they were unlikely to hit at a long distance. Then depending on how fast or slow the enemy unit was moving played into whether the enemy unit was easily seen. Then terrain was factored into all of this. Tanks could pop smoke - infantry could pop smoke and scoot out all kinds of stuff. Bazookas had to engage a tank one hex away. Anyway I cannot even begin to fathom the amount of coding involved to have this minor patch - rofl. but the graphics of Order of Battle, and the current turn based system then adding in this Steel Panthers feel we may get closer to the ultimate war game. You could move farther but faster which would likely expose you to enemy and decrease the efficiency of your return fire but you could go a further distance. If you moved slower you were less easily detected and could return fire more accurately but you could not move as far in any given turn. You could set the distance at which you would engage an enemy which allowed for an ambush the enemy did not have to try to go into your hex so if an enemy went next to you one or two hexes away you could engage suddenly at this unit and cause chaos.
95bravo
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Order of Battle meets Steel Panthers ???

Post by 95bravo »

And then if you add in Combat Mission's turn format it will be a game even the gods would play. Nothing like blundering into another person's blunder.
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

Exactly
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

gunnyjs wrote:Anyway I cannot even begin to fathom the amount of coding involved to have this minor patch - rofl.
I think that is the key sentence here. Would potentially break the game and involve tons and tons of work. (And this is already getting difficult to handle.) Also, I struggle to understand your argument in detail. But I will take a look at Steel Panthers. :D
Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 »

Andy2012 wrote:
gunnyjs wrote:Anyway I cannot even begin to fathom the amount of coding involved to have this minor patch - rofl.
I think that is the key sentence here. Would potentially break the game and involve tons and tons of work. (And this is already getting difficult to handle.) Also, I struggle to understand your argument in detail. But I will take a look at Steel Panthers. :D
Andy, I don't think gunny is posing an argument, more like a wish that the 2 games could be kind of merged essentially. Having played a lot of Steel Panthers, the game mechanics he mentions would be a cool addition to OOB. Agreed, probably way too involved and cost prohibitive, but hey that's what dreams are for right? :wink:
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

Navman2854 wrote:
Andy2012 wrote:
Andy, I don't think gunny is posing an argument, more like a wish that the 2 games could be kind of merged essentially. Having played a lot of Steel Panthers, the game mechanics he mentions would be a cool addition to OOB. Agreed, probably way too involved and cost prohibitive, but hey that's what dreams are for right? :wink:

You hit the nail on the head I was just having flashbacks do to my PTSP from playing Dos games - Steel Panthers even got aggravating at times cause ya had to hope wade through all the shooting with at times very little results but it did add a unique level of strategy but ya had to be in the mood for it.
maitrebongo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by maitrebongo »

Are you killing ?

I hope you know that Steel Panthers is no more a DOS game for a long time and it is possible to play it under Windows in screen resolutions beyond 800 x 600 pixels (and it changes everything when the map spreads across your screen) ...

It's called WinSPWW2 (or WinSPMBT for modern battles) and it's a must have.
In addition it's free (well, if you want to play in HD you have to buy it but the price is more than reasonable). And, last but not least it's free bugs, I never had a crash.

This game contains the most complete and exhaustive OOB.
The 2 games make it possible to reproduce, through the hundreds of scenarios and the dozens of campaigns included, all the tactical battles from the 20s until today.

I have been playing at Steel Panthers since it was released more than 30 years ago. I followed all its evolutions and it has not happened a month since without I play at least one game.
This game will remain in the history of computer wargaming as the "Wargame of the Century".

Next to Steel Panthers, Order Of Battle is just a modernized copy of Panzer General, completely disconnected from reality (at the operational scale); reality simulated perfectly by Steel Panther (on the tactical scale, it is true).
Seriously, I find it difficult to imagine what the diversity of vehicles represents in Order of Battle. This is complete abstraction ... While in Steel Panthers this diversity of vehicles makes sense because they really represent the divesity of real vehicles at the tactical scale.
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

I ran across the more modern no dos version you mention on the Schrapnel website some time ago awhile back then I eventually got the upgraded version thing - To me though the graphics are dated. I did enjoy the exhaustive Order of Battle and I was able to create a custom Order of Battle and then Play against the pc with that. I was just thinking about how in Steel Panthers an enemy unit can for example be moving and then depending on how you have your units are set up by yourself as to when to fire and at what range it then causes the likely hood of hitting the enemy unit or not so I thought geee wally maybe it would be cool to have this concept and then the Order of Battle graphics and game engine etc. mixed together //// but Frankly overall Order of Battle is still just fine like it is. The problem for me about steel panthers is you have to wade through the eons of time in order for a simple turn to complete as both sides shoot at each other and may hit or don't hit each other but it does give one immense depth of play to the extreme (whether you want it or not) so for those who enjoy that the most it is perfect for them. I am still waiting for Schrapnel Games to come out with "All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy" I notice I can buy it right now for only 54.95 and that it shows it is Coming problem is from my recollection they have been saying this for years now maybe more than 5 years. But back to Steel Panthers

Return to “Order of Battle Series”