OB Vietnam

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

bruce1944
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

OB Vietnam

Post by bruce1944 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Any one created a Vietnam campaign? :D

PoorOldSpike
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: OB Vietnam

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:16 am

bruce1944 wrote:Any one created a Vietnam campaign? :D
I hope they do because Uncle Ho is calling us out..:)

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:22 am

bruce1944 wrote:Any one created a Vietnam campaign? :D
Bruce, I don't like to see anybody's thread go unanswered, particularly a thread by a guy named Bruce. So I am glad Spike dipped into his archive of historical military portraits for us. :)

It's not (yet) possible to make a Vietnam campaign in this game - in my opinion, of course - using the official game. The maps would certainly be possible but the units are not there. Most people here would agree, I think, that trying to make something for Vietnam using units 20-25 years out of date would probably not be aesthetically pleasing.

Plus the nation of (North/South) Vietnam is not in there, nor is a faction named Viet Cong. Neither is Cambodia and Laos, nor are the Hmong, Montagnards, etc. A modder would have to use Chinese troops under Philippines and Thailand flags perhaps, which would look dumb.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't some really talented and unaffiliated folks out there who could design such a thing: units, nations, factions, flags, whatever. I salute these guys but I don't use their stuff, preferring to "hew to the party line" (stick to the official version of OOB). For one thing, such stuff can get seriously broke when the official version of OOB gets updated.

So good idea, Bruce, but Vietnam (and Korea, and WW1, and beyond/backwards into history) remain pleasant dreams or mirages on a far-off horizon. Some day, perhaps.
- Bru

PoorOldSpike
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:28 am

bru888 wrote:..So good idea, Bruce, but Vietnam (and Korea, and WW1, and beyond/backwards into history) remain pleasant dreams or mirages on a far-off horizon. Some day, perhaps.
Perhaps one way to avoid the workload of producing big campaigns would be to create small "packs" which could be produced in less than half the time.
Many other game companies do it by bringing out small packs of units which can be produced relatively quickly and easily such as a "Korea Pack", "Middle East Pack", "Spanish Civil War Pack" etc.
In the case of a "Vietnam Pack" for OOB, it could simply consist of some US and Charlie infantry units, a few planes, vehicles and a few standalone scenarios, no need for huge campaigns..:)
(PS- I can't program for toffee or I'd have a crack at it myself, but I'm just a dumb playtester of other people work)

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 am

I think 'unit packs' is a very good idea. This could be purchased (at a modest price) inbetween campaigns.
These packs could flesh out minor nations rather small selection of units and add new factions with units as well.
I really like this :D

terminator
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by terminator » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 am

I do not think that it would be a so good idea, it would raise problems of compatibility between the players which would possess the pack and those who would not possess it.
A mini-campaign (4-5 scenarios) with a patch could be a solution.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:20 pm

There should not be compability problems.
As far as I know, players who own at least 1 campaign pack are able to play all custom scenarios.

terminator

Post by terminator » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Yes , because there is always a free patch with all the new units for everyone with a new campaign.
If I create a new scenario with new units from a pack which it is necessary to buy, this scenario could not be played by somebody else if he does not possess this paying pack.
Same problem for multiplayer games (but it could be possible in this case).

PoorOldSpike
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm

terminator wrote:I do not think that it would be a so good idea, it would raise problems of compatibility between the players which would possess the pack and those who would not possess it.
A mini-campaign (4-5 scenarios) with a patch could be a solution.
Like I said, other game companies already bring out small "packs" and "expansions" and "addons" for their games at a very small price and they're very popular which proves the idea works, my cash is waiting..:)
As for compatibility between players, the person with the mod can simply disable the pack on his system.
Anyway, 99% of players will always buy packs because they're so simple and cheap, they're not big expensive games with big campaigns.
I rarely play campaigns in any game anyway, I prefer small fast scenarios..:)
A small "Battle Pack Vietnam" could therefore contain North Vietnamese Regulars and black-pyjama guerrillas, and US Army and Marines plus a few tanks, vehicles and aircraft (plus choppers) and a couple of scenarios. The community could have fun using the existing Editor to produce more scenarios if desired.
Could get rough out there..

"Take the pain! TAKE THE PAIN!"

terminator

Post by terminator » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:Like I said, other game companies already bring out small "packs" and "expansions" and "addons" for their games at a very small price and they're very popular which proves the idea works, my cash is waiting..:)
As for compatibility between players, the person with the mod can simply disable the pack on his system.
Attention risks of invasion of bugs :!:
Bug.jpg
Bug.jpg (5.18 KiB) Viewed 2691 times

PoorOldSpike
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 pm

terminator wrote:
PoorOldSpike wrote:Like I said, other game companies already bring out small "packs" and "expansions" and "addons" for their games at a very small price and they're very popular which proves the idea works, my cash is waiting..:)
Attention risks of invasion of bugs :!:
There are bugs in every computer game that's ever been released, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't progress because of fear of bugs, we can simply zap them..:)

At the moment OOB is at a standstill because the mods/devs have said they have no plans to release new DLC's, so people are going to think twice about buying OOB if they regard it as a dead game, and spend their pennies elsewhere.
But if the OOB devs keep releasing new packs (eg Vietnam), not only will existing OOB players eagerly snap them up, but it'll send out the clear message to the wargame community that OOB is NOT dead, and they'll buy it knowing they can look forward to new packs being released for years to come..:)
As a great prophet once said-
"It's strictly business"- Michael Corleone

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Sandstorm/Afrika Korps is entering beta, so OOB is far from dead.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Erik2 wrote:Sandstorm/Afrika Korps is entering beta, so OOB is far from dead.
Hear, hear.
- Bru

michacey
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by michacey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:56 pm

I think that a Vietnam Pack would be fantastic.
Another might be the Korean Conflict. This would be much easier as most of the weapons were used in WWII.

PoorOldSpike
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by PoorOldSpike » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Erik2 wrote:Sandstorm/Afrika Korps is entering beta, so OOB is far from dead.
Yes that's good news and my cash is waiting..:)
PS- None of my business of course but I'm surprised Slith put so much time and effort into prioritising Morning Sun/Rising Sun/Burma/US Marines instead of producing a West Front 44/5 first.

terminator

Post by terminator » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:03 am

PoorOldSpike wrote:PS- None of my business of course but I'm surprised Slith put so much time and effort into prioritising Morning Sun/Rising Sun/Burma/US Marines instead of producing a West Front 44/5 first.
I approve the choice of Slitherine to develop in the first one of the original battles.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 am

This game started as OOB Pacific with one US and one Japanese campaign.
It was onlt later that the game expanded into Europe.
And now Africa is next.
As long as the game keeps on providing revenue for the devs we'll get more campaigns.
Eventually I hope/think they'll cover all of WW2, at least provide 'complete' unit types for all major and most minor factions.
Then its time to move to other conflicts.

Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Admiral_Horthy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:25 pm

I don't think it would be a project too difficult. The game engine is quite universal, it could be done with the tools we have - till the interest of people will make it profitable for the developers to invent new-era features and traits.

What we have... (I put * what applies to me)

We know how to create new 3D units. They can be low poly, thankfully*
We can create skins/textures
We are good in creating units/data, creative switchable units etc.*
We can create new classes*
We can create commanders
We have terrain graphics adequate for Southeast Asia
We can get music what we want (Creadence, Rolling Stones, movie titles)
We have precise technical military knowledge*
We have dozens of expert scenario/campaign makers, trigger experts

What we don't have...

We have to recreate every damn little infantry because we don't have access to stock models, textures and anims.
Lack of napalm effect
We can't program the AI to use any special modern units correctly
We don't have extra features, traits, - YET

All in all, with what we have right now we can cover about 90% of the Vietnam War. Depends on the scale, of course, but it can be done. I suggest we put together a team and show something to the developers perhaps they would help or make it official.

terminator

Post by terminator » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 am

You will need a very motivated team :
1397896597-tumblr-mpffsmbnhs1rgyrl3o1-500.gif
1397896597-tumblr-mpffsmbnhs1rgyrl3o1-500.gif (1012.16 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:42 am

Personally I'd love to see a Korea 50-53 cam/dlc, but dunno how much of a chance there is for it to happen....

Return to “Order of Battle Series”