Any chance for bigger maps

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Andre73
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Any chance for bigger maps

Post by Andre73 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Is there any chance for bigger maps in OOB - 120x120 isnt really enough to show some bigger late war battles like Kursk or Normandy.

Would be really nice to a possible bigger buildable map with the next patch - note in Panzer Corps we had an map 800x600 Army group center.

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Any chance for bigger maps

Post by bru888 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:53 pm

I once designed a scenario that included all of the North Atlantic, all the way from the coast of Newfoundland, parts of Greenland and Iceland, all of the United Kingdom, and the Brittany peninsula of France. I did that with a map that measured 90 x 48 hexes.

Two things I had in mind while designing that scenario: Not to overtax the typical computer with too large a map to run - each one of those hexes has to be evaluated and processed every turn - and not to overtax the player with having to MOVE too much! Say you were sailing a cruiser across that ocean in my scenario, from one end to the other. A cruiser moves 4 hexes per turn, so that would mean more than 22 turns of just sailing along. Now multiply that by the number of ships in a fleet to be moved one at a time.

Those would be the reasons why you should be careful what you wish for concerning bigger maps. Here's one more consideration: The area that I described is much larger than the regions that you mentioned. I would like to think I did a good job in balancing the distances and unit movement in my scenario (for one thing, nobody is required to sail across the entire ocean) but the point is, the scale of the map is flexible. I could have used the same sized map to depict the Cherbourg Peninsula.

So it's not necessarily the size of the map but the scale in which one designs it that counts. Bigger is not necessarily better.
- Bru

Andre73

Post by Andre73 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks for the answer - but your maps arent really playable for me - but your scenarios are the best in quality here.
I took a look at them - but I really prefer scenarios on larger scale with historical deployments and unit AI's.

Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Admiral_Horthy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:19 am

I started a map of Budapest and surroundings... but now I regretted )))) Thankfully it can be cut and crop to pieces which I need.

Big maps are good for air battles, but almost automatically need to have modded units like long range radars (say 120x120 Budapest, it is only about 20x20km)

Duplex

Post by Duplex » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Andre73 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:09 pm
Thanks for the answer - but your maps arent really playable for me - but your scenarios are the best in quality here.
I took a look at them - but I really prefer scenarios on larger scale with historical deployments and unit AI's.
Shameless self plug here!

If you're looking for large scale with historical deployments and AI, head over to Duplex's Scenarios and download the Great Manchurian Offensive!

:lol:
"Surrender is the ultimate defeat."

Custom Scenario Creator

Return to “Order of Battle Series”