To buy or not to buy a core

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Dwightd
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

To buy or not to buy a core

Post by Dwightd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:46 pm

I have something to confess that is very controversial :shock: Moderators, you can relax your grip on your mouse, because no censorship will be needed :wink: There is no easy way to do this, so here it is

I like to buy a brand new core every campaign I start :shock: There I said it. :oops: I know I am going to be the minority on this one. I have read lots on this forum about how people import their core units. Nurturing them carefully to get the perfect unit balance and a well oiled experienced fighting machine. Ready to go into the next battle, overcoming all obstacles :!: But for me that journey is the destination (sorry about the overused metaphor :( ) I enjoy the nurturing and experience building so much that I want to go through it through every campaign. Taking a green core group and making them rough and ready by campaign end is what is fun to me. Starting from scratch is more fun to me than importing the core from the last campaign. So there you have it, my secret is out :wink:

All other opinions are of course welcomed :D

I was really just wondering how much in the minority i am. Is there at least on other OOB'er that likes to start from scratch each campaign :?:

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: To buy or not to buy a core

Post by bru888 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Dwightd wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Moderators, you can relax your grip on your mouse, because no censorship will be needed :wink:
When I saw how many smileys there were here, I was ready to pounce! :x

But then I realized that your post was quite benign. Why do you think your preference is so controversial? Your second paragraph states the position eloquently, and I agree with it.

The only thing I would miss in this would be if I had named my units and wished to follow their fate throughout the war. I tried that once but was disappointed in that I could not always control their fate and somehow, paying resources to revive dead units that I treasured was a bit gruesome.

Besides, it seems like a bit of a cheat to import a core with experience into DLC designed to start from scratch, as you put it. There, THAT will be a controversial statement if there be any!

So, no, I see that my initial reaction made me hasty and I have recalled my message to the authorities to have you reprimanded and fined. But not banned; we need all the people that we can get who care enough about the game to use that many smileys in one post. :)

[By the way, I hope you don't mind that I added "a core" to your subject. When I first entered the thread, I thought it was going to be one of those dreary "Convince me to buy this game!" discussions.]
- Bru

Dwightd

Post by Dwightd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:28 pm

[By the way, I hope you don't mind that I added "a core" to your subject. When I first entered the thread, I thought it was going to be one of those dreary "Convince me to buy this game!" discussions.]
Spot on, Bru. You captured the true meaning of my subject.

Maybe we can flip this whole thing on its head. What if the developers made it so you could sell your core at the end of a campaign and have more RP that you could import into the next one :P
That way you have more resources to buy a core from scratch.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:34 pm

From such discussions, good things sometimes ensue.
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 am

If you do bring your core to the next campaign I'm pretty sure you can then sell these units on the slave market :wink:

I think that generally, playing a campaign will be more difficult starting with a fresh core.
You're not doing anything 'wrong' of course. It is the beauty of this game that we can find our own gaming preferences.

In my own custom campaigns I try to start the first scenario with AI unit experience 1-2. This to ease the player's freshly purchased 0-1 exp units into play.
Then, dependent on the campaign year, I raise the AI unit exp in the next scenario up to exp = 4 (1944-45) to give the higher exp core import some resistance.
It is a difficult balance though.

WarHomer
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by WarHomer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:31 am

I always export my core.

That´s the thing for me and I wouldn´t enjoy it the other way around.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”